don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Switch is my platform of choice for Sonic Games. I don't know why, it's just that Sonic feels good on Nintendo man.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Since I don't own any other recent consoles, it's either Switch or PC for me. Personally I just love being able to play my Sonic games on a handheld, as it gives me more opportunities to play now that my gaming time is a bit more limited. Though if I enjoy Superstars on Switch, I'll likely pick up the PC version in a future sale when life allows me more time for PC gaming again.

I actually did the opposite with Mania originally; picked that up on PC first, as I didn't have any of the current console gen when it originally launched. Later, I managed to get a good deal on a Nintendo Switch when I finally got one, which included getting Mania Plus at a knock-down price along with a couple of other games. Naturally a quick run through Mania was my first port of call before tackling anything new, haha! ; )

3. Vertette

Vertette

Hearing this still feels blasphemous to me, somehow.

Anyway you'd think the game would've been made Switch-first in the first place considering it's *the* Sonic platform now and Arzest has plenty experience developing for Nintendo hardware, but what do I know. Maybe these things work differently in the professional industry.

4. Lambda

Lambda

PC + Steam Deck is the ultimate combo, IMHO. Buy the game once and load it on both so you have both the power and moddibility of a PC, and you can also take it on the go.

(I do realize it's the most expensive version hardware-wise, though. Not everyone can/wants to swing for that.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Anyone who is actually bothered by the visual fidelity of the Switch version was never going to buy the Switch version. Anyone who was only ever going to buy the Switch version was most likely never in a position to be bothered by the graphics in the first place. It's not rocket science as to why they're phoning it in a bit.

6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Blasphemy

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    the Switch is fantastic for indie games, first party nintendo titles, and upscaled 3DS ports. And I mean that as a compliment. There is nothing like spending an entire 6 hour plane flight playing Dead Cells and Monster Hunter because you can't sleep, even if you totally regret staying up afterwards :V also it inexplicably has the best version of Diablo 3, since it (obviously) uses controller and doesn't require any of the online nonsense to run it.

I do plan on getting a Steam Deck, but, yeah, you can't seem to play really high-end games well on it - it seems like the most consistent use-case is indie games (which the Switch has) and older PC and emulated titles (which is what I want one for).

8. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Switch is the only console I have newer than an Xbox 360, so it’s also my go to. I couldn’t resist the urge to replay some and catch up when I got it a few months back, there’s been a lot of Sonic & Pokémon for me this year. (Even plugged in the 360 to play SA1/2 as I had the urge for the first time in a decade).

Superstars on Switch is no issue for me. When I can eventually afford a better console, I’ll buy them all again and enjoy the improvements in lighting and detail, but I’m not too fussed. I’m just happy to be able to play.

Preordering it this month.

9. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    You all played Advance when it came out, just admit it.

But in all seriousness, there are people who don't care that much about graphics. That's why Xbox Series S is a thing. That's why Switch game copies sell.

10. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    I'm mostly a PC guy when it comes to Sonic games, so I'll preorder the PC version. I am interested in getting the Switch one, though.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Switchies still asking why their 2015 hardware can't keep up in 2023.

A lot of multiplatform ports just straight up suck on it. The visual differences remind me of the awful Bloodstained port. another 2.5D multiplatform game. Muddy low res textures, geometry downgrades or elements just straight up gone. Dead by Daylight was also horrendous on it (that game was always bad though). Devs don't care about performance since they know the main reason anyone picks these games up are for the portability and not the performance. Yeah, all the first party games look great on it, but those guys only have 1 platform to target and work around.
    There's only a handful of developers that put a decent effort when porting to Switch. Capcom does a fantastic job on it, but that's mainly because they're using their own inhouse tools and don't use Unreal or Unity.
    Superstars poor visuals isn't going to deter anyone away and it's still going to be the leading platform in sales. All of the Pokemon games have been awful on Switch and people don't care. At the very least you guys are getting 60fps so the gameplay should at least be solid. I'd be throwing a riot if it was halved too.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    They should release an Android version at the same price as the other versions.

[​IMG]

No reason.

13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I just hope the rumours about the Swtich 2 being on par with the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro are true (even though that's technically still outdated hardware)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    The way the industry is heading, you won't have to worry. Devs are going to use upscaling tech as a crutch to continue making bad games. Switch 2 gonna be eating some good left overs.

15. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    if you're interested, there's a more in-depth writeup on the rumors and whatnot.
    https://telegra.ph/Everything-about-the-ol-Switch-2-07-21
    but basically, this thing is not going to be even ps4 pro level at all. it's a handheld. it's gonna be base ps4 with nvidia dlss cores

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I really hope Sonic games on switch all get upgrades for the newer hardware if the switch 2 is backwards compatible, ala how the PS4/5 did it, or how Unleashed and Generations got enhancements for the xbox series consoles. Superstars and Frontiers could benefit a ton from it, and while Forces Colors and TSR fare better, I'd still love to get an upgrade for them.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Those enhancements can only do so much. Generations got the frame rate and resolution boost, but Unleashed only got a frame rate boost. It's still stuck at the same 880x720 resolution. The crap geometry and textures are still going to be there.

18. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Try downloading the DLC level packs, for some reason the texture resolution is improved, with some of them the shadows are waaay better.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    That was something that was added from those DLC packs all the way back from the 360 era. It has nothing to do with the next-gen console enhancements features.

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Why did downloading the Unleashed DLC packs give you better textures anyway?