don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    THE RACE IS GETTING ROUGH, BUT I JUST WON'T GIVE UP
    THE COMPETITION'S GETTING REALLY TIGHT
    NOT GONNA HAPPEN
    'CAUSE I'M NOT STOPPIN'

NO WAY, NO HOW, I KNOW THE END'S IN SIGHT

I ALWAYS RACE TO WIN
    KEEP RUNNING 'TILL TH EEND
    I GOTTA MOVE AND STAY ONE STEP AHEAD
    STAY BAND AND WATCH ME GO
    THE ONLY WAY I KNOW

BECAUSE YOU KNOW I ALWAYS RACE
    ALWAYS RACE
    ALWAYS RACE TO WIN

Been dying for a new fuckin' multiplayer Sonic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Going to the linked website in the trailer's description gives me a server not found error. Is it working for anyone else?

3. Kyro

Kyro

4. Could have sworn in that section of the video where they were cycling between different characters running downhill there was no noticeable speed increase during any of their segments. And Sonic's top running speed in general looks a little slow.

Gorgeous game, but I don't see any reason to be excited yet. I was looking for the Christian Whitehead logo or something. Evening star. Any of the people from Mania.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Looks like there's room for a certain purple playable character on that title screen...

Honestly pleasantly surprised with this, looks like a take on NSMB's style of 4 player platforming. Art style looks nice and as long as the gameplay holds up, then this is a buy from me. Also Classic Tails will never not be adorable.
    tails.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It would be funny if Ohshima recycled some old ideas into this one.

7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    The link there is bad. Try https://sonicsuperstars.com/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Robjoe

Robjoe

I'm surprised they're trying genuine co-op (with up to four players even), so that'll be interesting to see in a 2D Sonic. I wonder how well it's going to work in practice though. Does the camera lock on player 1? Will the level design be kneecapped to accommodate multiple players at once? The levels' artstyle looks charming enough, though personally I've never been a huge fan of the classic characters done in 3D. If the game itself takes good advantage of 3D visuals though I can get over it.

Mechanically speaking though, I've never really enjoyed 2D gameplay in a 3D space, at least as far as Sonic's attempts at it have been. I know of course it's not going to feel as nice as the Retro Engine games, but movement usually feels very stiff and heavy, and heavy usage of scripting is usually a substitute for mechanics like actual momentum. Sometimes it even feels like levels are deliberately designed to be linear and stop players from finding unexpected shortcuts. I doubt this'll be as bad as Sonic 4 or whatever, but after what some people in here have pointed out, and from the brief glimpses of actual movement in the trailer, I'm not expecting it to be very engaging.

Honestly, Oshima's involvement is cute and all, but his abilities are not going to help with the actual issues this game will probably suffer from. I'd be way more excited if Yasuhara were back to make new levels (hopefully without Iizuka constantly telling him to "make it more like a roller coaster", hahaha). Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Literally fell to my knees in the middle of work.

This is EVERYTHING I asked for in a new classic Sonic game. It's a NEW SONIC GAME with new levels, new gameplay mechanics, new characters, oh my god it looks incredible.

PLEASE, I'm praying to the gods of every world religions and to SEGA, PLEASE let this be good.

10. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Thank you.

11. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Nah, Whitehead (Evening Star) are working on their own 3d game so I doubt they've had time to work on anything else. Same goes for Headcannon who have been busy with Origins Plus content and are working on other stuff IIRC.

12. Kyro

Kyro

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    me when people complain about a 2D game being $60

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    As long as the game has a decent amount of levels then I'm ok with the price tag. Don't know what the big deal is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Watching the trailer again, I definitely get a Kirby's Return to Dreamland kind of vibe from it. This will probably be a good game to introduce kids to classic sonic gameplay, I can already see myself playing this co-op with my little niece lol

16. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    That special stage reminds of the void in Sonic Prime.
    Prime Void.png
    I wonder if it's just a coincidence or something more?

17. Looks very promising, I like the chibi designs (even though I don’t think it goes full chibi). My strongest wish is just that there’s less of those godforsaken speed boosters I saw early on in the trailer and more gimmicks that play into the characters movement in unique but not in a way that’s too intrusive.

Also unique zone tropes please.

18. The animation looks incredible - expressive, snappy, and with a lot stretch to make the movement pop. I'm amazed to actually see vibrant animations in a Sonic game. I hope the physics aren't jank as hell, but I'm really excited!

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Price is not my big issue...

My biggest worry are...

1. Physics that properly mimic as much of the classic style as can reasonably be done. (Contrary to what you think, I don't need perfection, just something that integrates well into my existing exeprience/playstyle)

2. Multi-tiered stage design that rewards a mix of skill and exploration. By far the most neglected aspect of the classics that really made them stand out among the competition. In the 90s, it felt almost like exploring an open world title compared to most other games.

Mania nailed both of these, hence why I fell in love with it again.

But at the same time, I've tolerated several variants of the classic formula in my 25+ years of fandom, including master system/game gear games, pocket adventure, advanced, generations, and to a much lesser extent... Sonic 4 Episode II. And several fan variants of varying degrees.

I won't be completely close minded, but please don't mess this up. Please. The 2D content in Forces was just plain not good, and I don't want more of that. I also didn't care for Rush much in the long run. And Sonic Advanced 2 and 3 haven't aged very well either.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I think we're absolutely getting unique zone tropes (seems like we're having some sort of digital world trope), but the gimmicks don't look at all like they'll be about Sonic's movement.

EDIT: after rewatching the video, I'd bet the emerald powers bring something like a layered approach to the stages. You'll be able to replay them and these powers will affect a lot of what you can do within each stage, like going up water streams to perhaps find more emeralds. So actually not like the wisps, and maybe semi-related to movement.

Which would be pretty cool.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List