don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbohog

Turbohog

Beat the game today. I know it's been discussed, but holy shit. The last boss was embarrassing. Easily the worst boss in the series to me. There have been plenty of previous final bosses that were executed poorly (i.e. Sonic Generations), but this is the first one I can think of that was a flat out terrible idea. Did they have an intern make it?

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Don't insult the poor intern like that... They obviously had the janitor throw it together:eng99:

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    … I kinda liked the end :tinfoil:.

And Generations fight barely makes sense I feel like hitting Time Eater happens completely by chance, and 2D is just broken.

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Wait, is this what that was all about!? I had this dialogue happen while I was finishing up 100% on the last island, while I went to go doing one of the puzzles... I'd already beaten the game, I was just fucking around on the island.
    I saw some other people mention that how often Sonic actually makes comments depends on the "stop sonic when he comments on his surroundings" setting. If true, this is a really dumb implementation, because I wanted to hear the comments, but just have them play while I was running. I turned it off thinking that's what would happen, but then I hardly got the comments and when I did it would still shift the camera to focus on the thing Sonic was commenting on, meaning I would be stopped anyways, although I could still move, even when the voice was telling me how to play the game at the end of the game. Still a BIG issue, if for nothing else but clarity reasons.
    Now I'm curious what all I missed, and why only a few triggers remained active.

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, this weird setup is kind of nonsensical. And if you don't have "can move during dialogue" enabled or whatever, you'll be rooted in place for it apparently? Small things like Sonic actually losing his memories during Rhea Island are tucked away in this passive/idle dialogue system, which really should've been scripted dialogue as you progress since it's one of the only times in the game you're in a linear design perfect for hearing it!

6. corneliab

corneliab

It's time to declare your island allegiance. Since I'm an immaculate, radiant idol, I obviously choose Chaos Island.

...seriously though, I really do love Chaos Island. The terrain, music, lore implications... it's great! Please donate to Chaos Island.

7. I quite agree, You play Sonic Frontiers and the 1st very that hits you is the game looks and feels very much like SOTC. I've no issues with Sonic Team looking to rip off the look and art direction of SOTC since it was so brilliant and I like the Titan battles myself, much like I liked them in Castlevania:LOS My main issue with the game is the Cyberspace levels (while looking amazing) are just to short.

Also when I'm playing this I'm getting some Panzer Dragoon vibs too, but I think thats just me

8. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    We are probably going to need a Sonic Frontiers Beta thread. Unused dialogues, that character from Tails Tube, the early leaked concepts and IIRC, the Devs discarded a wholly playable first build with truly open world?

Also, on the second Island there is a structure reminding me of Master Emerald altair, with some kind of crushed, purple gem. I wonder if it had any meaning in early concepts.

9. Flare

Flare

YES! I was waiting for the reference to S3 or SA1 with some back story or connection to Chaos, but instead we just got an emerald object that didn't really do much... so I guess a reference to S2 Beta. :V

10. Trippled

Trippled

This game is so prime for DLC it ain't even funny.

11. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Would have made a lot more sense than that Sonic 3 screenshot with... rocks, I guess?

Also, if they ever make a dlc I want Chaos in it in some form.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I do appreciate the music and structure of Chaos Island, but I also really love Ares Island. It has more room to breathe.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Ares island has what feels like the most actual level design in it instead of plains with platforms laid above it. I guess I'd reevaluate all of them if the platforming challenges were actually made of terrain, but as it is, Ares has got the most going on. The floating ruins, climbing up the plateaus and mesas, the ridge along the west cliffs, the cave temple leading towards the fishing spot, it's the kind of stuff I want to see a whole game crafted out of.

Also, Rhea is still almost really cool as a setpiece, the rushing is just too distracting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Ares Island strikes me as the best out of the three too. I thought the springs and rails and whatnot lend this boring old desert its own character in a way that almost reminded me of an open-air museum. That's cool, given that it's usually not allowed to run or smash objects in a museum. Lol

15. Now that the origins of the Chaos Emeralds have been explored a bit, I'm even more confused about the rule that "only male hedgehogs can use the Chaos Emeralds". They're not even native to the planet - why would they be selective for hedgehogs? And guys specifically? Hoping that lore tidbit gets stealthily left behind - Ian hates it anyway. The central magical McGuffin in the Sonic franchise having a 'no girls allowed' sub clause attached to it sucks.

For favourite island, it's definitely Ares. The tunnel leading up to Big's fishing spot was memorable and I wish more of the game had little closed off areas like that to find and explore. It has the most interesting layout to me, with lots of platforming sections sandwiched between cliffs. Chaos Island was the most frustrating, with accidentally stepping on a dash pad sending you straight into an inescapable 2D section. Too many 2D sections for me in general.

16. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    How does the origin story of the Chaos Emeralds fit in with the story of Sonic Unleashed? From what I interpreted, Dark Gaia and Light Gaia have been at it since the beginning of time, with the Chaos Emeralds playing a role in it. Then you have the whole Gaia Temple conundrum.

Maybe the Ancients built the Gaia Temples? Or at least had a miniscule role in it? Maybe they left instructions on how to recharge the Chaos Emeralds, and later civilizations built the Gaia Temples. That's an interesting thought, but unlikely.

17. Exoticus

Exoticus

I think it has already been left behind - Knuckles specifically name drops his super form after Sonic defeats Wyvern, so at the very least Knuckles can canonically go super.

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I thought he was supposed to be joking in that scene? Sonic plays it off by saying "You keep telling yourself that". Maybe it was just purposefully written that way to keep it ambiguous whether or not Knux can actually go super?

19. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Obviously the rule was dropped, how else would Eggman have gone super in the Twitter Takeover? Just imagine his glorious mustache!

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Fireyfurnace It wasn’t that they’re the only ones who can use them, it’s that they’re the only ones who can go super with them in the modern setting. Even when Knuckles is talking to Sonic post-Wyvern, Super Knuckles is enclosed in quote marks in the script, making me think this is still the case.

Granted, there are limited exceptions since Sonic Adventure but these are always villainous in nature and come with kaiju or robots. We’ve had Chaos, Gmerl and Neo Metal. Other than that, they’re just used as a power source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.