don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Same. I didn't get that one either.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Weird, well here's a Youtube video of it:

2:03

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I just had a thought. The End and The Supreme should have been switched.

Think of it this way: you get the last emerald on Ouranos, The End attacks, Sage finally gets full control of a titan after failing to do so for the rest of the game. You do a (hopefully less frustrating) bullethell minigame, and she has her little sacrifice moment in stopping the boss. It's only after that that The End fully possesses the supreme, wherein you finally do the big Super Sonic final boss, maybe still in space or something. The problem of The Supreme dying really quickly at your current level would still be there, but I think it would save face for a lot of it.

Only issue is the music wouldn't fit as much. The Final Boss track is definitely more of a triumphant finale track than I'm Here is.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I am fascinated with what the original plan was for the End. I wonder if it survived the fight with Sonic, given that it makes reference to its planetoid form simply being a manifestation rather than the true form. If the team feels like it, there’s nothing really stopping them from adding to the fight with post launch updates, much like Kirby Star Allies did (albeit much more subtly) with the arena for the Morpho Knight battle in Guest Star Allies Go!!.

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Wait, what have I missed?
    Original plan for The End?

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Nothing in particular, just that the boss fight we got was probably a rushed compromise.

7. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    So I saw this picture on reddit of someone who made a mockup of the original Kronos Island. Gotta say it looks huge!

[​IMG]

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They we’re probably right to cut the island into 3, it was probably too intimidating in early playtesting. That being said they should’ve at least changed the seasons on the different islands. Maybe fall and snow?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So in this alternate take, how would the Ancient's have stopped The End in the first place since dealing it in Supreme wouldn't have happened?

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Huh? Why would that not have happened?

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Since you've swapped Supreme and The End around: The End was bound to Supreme then sealed Cyberspace, so what did the Ancients do that stopped The End simply destroying Earth and ending up getting sealed in Cyberspace to be released?

Since otherwise you'd have to fight Supreme first to fight The End.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Oh, I didn't actually know that was how that went down. I guess it could just have been breaking out of cyberspace by funneling the energy making up the barrier into Sonic each time he entered.

Actually, I'm not sure how you could make it fit contextually, but having The End break out at Rhea and be visible in the Sky on Ouranos the whole time would lend it a better sense of finality.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Hang on, I'll BS up a story real quick.

The Titans are struck down by The End, who begins the assault we see throughout the game that wipes out the Ancients. Supreme was killed, but the other three survived and agree to use the towers and Titans to seal away The End into the recesses of Cyberspace, cutting off the Ancients from Cyberspace and resulting in the Koco, since the data could no longer be uploaded safely: Robotnik's uploading of Sage to the system proved so.

The seal is removed, and The End removes itself from Cyberspace: since it's infinite, it takes a while, which allows Sonic and Robotnik to locate the Chaos Emeralds to fight it off. Sage also locates the downed Supreme, and forces The End into it so Sonic has an easier target after The End fight after using it to fight along side him. This allows Sonic to destroy The End, as it now has a 'true' physical form that can be destroyed.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Just finished the game and boy am I confused. What I'm getting is that The End is some kind of world-eating deity, and it was the thing the Ancients were fighting off when they created the Titans. I'm still a bit confused as to why/how Sage knew The End was coming, but I'm just gonna assume she inherited some kind of knowledge from Cyberspace that was passed down from the Ancients. The ending definitely leaves you with a lot of questions...

Also that final boss was kind of lame, although I liked the challenge it offered. It just feels like more of a bonus mission than an actual final boss. It's confusing, because they redeemed Super Sonic from being a shallow final boss gimmick, but they took another step back by making the final boss an entirely different genre like Unleashed's titan fight mini-game boss.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  15. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Found this video. Aparently the Switch version had in its files the original Kronos Island files or at least parts of them before it got chopped.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here's another thing I remembered. Supposedly the story was going to explain why the Cyberspace stages were based on old locations. What was the reason?

All I remember is that Cyberspace had access to current info.

But how does translate to Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary? The highway theme seems to represent an "information superhighway," I guess CP and SS go along with games where Tails and Knuckles are the stars. So you can say that their memories are pulling Sonic into those level. From the Knuckles short seems like Sky Sanctuary is important to the Ancients.

But Green Hill? Is that supposed to represent Sonic instead of Amy? Did Amy get the short end of the stick?

17. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    So there's a Sage Cutscene on the last island that explains that Cyberspace was designed to catalog neural-networks (brains) and store someone's thoughts, memories, and emotions so that a part of the Ancients would be left behind. Cyberspace took Sonic's memories applied them so he could comprehend the virtual space more easily. Since his memories are of places he had no trouble traveling through, he was more easily able to traverse Cyberspace than the others who were confronted with other more traumatic memories and feelings such as Tails who had to confront a personification of his own insecurities.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Aahh, must've not payed attention then cause I don't remember that at all. I'm replaying through the PC version so I'll eventually ran into it again.

19. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I feel similarly. My sentiments towards this game are far "nicer" than I have been to Sonic in a really long time just because it feels like a game where the developers went out of their way to push as hard as they could with very limited resources. I can see that the general sentiment in the community is that Sonic Team themselves are capable of more than this but were held back by budget, manpower, and time constraints - I don't know the inside story but I'm more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when it feels like real passion went into making the game, and I do get that feeling from Frontiers. It helps that the modding community has leapt onto it immediately and already massively improved the play experience. I could see this becoming my favorite 3D Sonic game by the time the next one is coming out depending on how far mods are able to go by then. The game has a ton of problems and shouldn't be so dependent on community support, but in spite of all that, I just like it. I'm happy to be excited about Sonic again and it's inspired me to get into modding myself because I actually like this game enough to want to tweak it to my liking.

Edit - Also just wanted to touch on the "copying SotC" discussion from a few pages back. It's definitely a freebie and again I'm being "nice" about it but I kind of enjoy when Sonic is shameless about its references. It's always been like that. Super Sonic, Death Egg, Silver the Hedgehog, etc. The final boss being an Ikaruga clone that felt like it copied NieR Automata's homework delighted me. It's fun, and after years of Sonic games being fucking boring for me personally, I'm more than happy to take that.

20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Finally beaten the game, and I'm kinda torn by it.

- I loved the lore, the Chaos/Ancient race is a great addition to the series
    - Open world was a fun experience and it blended well with gameplay elements that we have in the series
    - the combat feels fun,
    - Boss Fights, at least the first 4, were great
    - THEY FINALLY FIXED KNUCKLES

But then...
    - Cyberspace levels were so terrible, I don't want to play them ever again
    - Roger is even worse than before. He's clearly not used to play a more soft spoken, calm Sonic and I don't think that he would ever be able to. I know You guys really like his Sonic, and I don't hate the man or anything, but Griffith would be way better - at least in this game.

- the game feels really not "Sonic", and the atmosphere is a tiny bit too gloomy for my taste. It doesn't really fit the series well. It's still a step up from the horrible Pontiac & Graff era thought.
    - The final boss was so pathetic compared to the first one...

Overall a good experience, but it could be so much more. I'm definitely waiting for a sequel. Sonic Team delivered, finally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.