don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sounds a bad idea letting Jun Senoue replace the tracks. Remember Sonic 4? Not the best announcement for something we all knew what was getting replaced.

They really should have just told Stealth's team to use but improve the prototype tracks and do it that way. Hopefully it's nothing like the Classic Sonic Forces music either.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Man, Ice Cap Zone is by far my favorite Sonic song on the entire genesis. That's a huge bummer.

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

For PC players, nothing a little modding can't mend.
    But still, it being in the game in an official sense would always be better, for everyone.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I see this as a net positive for us because we just get new music to listen to either way, if it doesn't fit with the stages then we can just install the mod that someone will inevitably put out shortly after release.

But for more casual fans who won't mod their game, it is kind of a big deal isn't it? It's funny to imagine brand new fans coming in from the movie hype, getting really into the game and the music, and then looking up remixes and stuff online and being extremely confused.

Also: Do we have confirmation they're actually the proto tracks? Or did they just say the music is replaced? Because this could be something else entirely.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Stealth stated blankly back in the day that a S3&K remaster would have to replace the music, and that it wasn't up for debate. So I'm not surprised, but it's still disappointing. If not for the work of preservationists digging up the Sonic 3 prototype, we might not have a S3&K remaster at all, since it proved to Sega that fans like the proto music well enough. Enough to willingly accept them going forward.

Maybe someday they'll get the rights sorted out for Sonic 3 and at long last, we'll get to hear the original demo cues MJ's team came up with, on their own soundtrack like the one with Masa's demos for S1&2. Then again, dealing with the Jackson estate is apparently like wading through glue, so maybe not.
    Jun's soundtrack for Sonic 4 wasn't bad, it just had horrible instrumentation, and that's because he had to use a crappy facsimile to the YM2612, and not the real thing.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, I remember Sonic 4. It released 12 years ago. Honestly, I think it’s extremely disrespectful bordering on insulting for people to assume that everyone working on Sonic must be completely inept. You really think they’re just gonna go ahead and repeat one of Sonic 4’s most complained about features?

7. Are we allowed to wonder outloud how we defend pricing to those who are against it? That crowd begins to have a point when 45 bucks isn't getting you Knuckles in Sonic CD or Ice Cap zone music
    (For the record, I am happily buying it but casuals may not be on board with 45 dollars with such caveats like knuckles missing in a game randomly, original music being swapped out, etc)

8. I love Ice Cap, but Launch Base is my favourite of Team Buxer's. I do really like the proto tracks for those two thankfully. Carnival Night won't be the same without that haunting clown theme.

9. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member

The movie makes it worse
    Ice cap is THE song, from what was one of the coolest moments of gaming at the time, thar finally got adapted. It was the most surreal moment of the movie- thinking - who could have seen this coming 30 years later. New fans will recognise that lever from that scene but... it won't be. It'll be something else. That might be good. But... it won't be sonic 3.

And now we know it can never be officially replicated again as it was.
    Massive, massive, massive bummer

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I’m very sorry to see it go, but I guess it never really was a “Sonic song” to begin with in the end.

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I’m willing to give Jun a chance here.. there’s a basis/blueprint for him to work with since most of the beta tracks have been worked on in terms of melody, etc.

I’m willing to bet that he added extra polish and tweaks to them so that it fits more in line with the overall OST.

I won’t be surprised if he reached out to the actual composers of those songs (if he didn’t actually compose them himself) to get some more input on how they should sound

12. I think Ice Cap (the song) is overrated, so I think it's a good oportunity to Jun Senoue improve the proto version. I hope Carnival Night Act 2 will sound good as the proto version.

13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Too soon... :flunked:

14. Was there any news on zone order along with the proto ost confirmation?

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sonic Team still allowed the mess that was the Classic Sonic tracks in Sonic Forces.

Although to be fair that wasn't by Senoue, it still was rather half assed and claimed to sound like the Mega Drive when the instrumentation was rather lacking.

16. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I'm genuinely surprised. Understandable that they would need to replace the tracks given the circumstances, and at least using the prototype tracks is the best case scenario. Really interested to hear how they're touched up, I hope it's not too different and mostly just expanding on the original instrumentation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I don't particularly need to defend how I spend my money to strangers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wasn't Sonic 3 Jun's 1st game? I feel like if given similar samples and a base I think he'll know what he's doing.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    This is exactly what Katie said:

"So while unfortunately we can't use all of the original sounds from the SEGA Genesis version of the game, Jun Senoue has been working really hard to adapt the original music which was composed in 1993 for Sonic Origins, going as far as reproducing it with the same sound chip from the SEGA Genesis and using his own digital audio tape collection to make this as faithful to the originals as possible".

Edit: Here's the clip of Katie talking about it:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1535011136659152906

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Wow! This feels almost like a funeral. Carnival Night proto I feel is legit better than the final version, but Ice Cap and Launch Base proto are complete wank - Launch Base isn't Launch Base if there's nobody telling you to "Go-g-go-go". I'd be a bit more excited if it was Tee Lopes working on the new tracks instead of Jun, but bollocks to it anyway.