don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The little note icon in the corner actually shows if the game is clear as that character.

upload_2022-4-27_19-15-29.png

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It's a shame they didn't give the same 'choose your own sprite' treatment to Tails and Knuckles. Tails' S2 and S3 sprites, while similar, do have some differences, and Knuckles has the yellow socks pink tint sprite from S3 that I prefer over his S&K version

3. That is a very strange conclusion to draw from the evidence on show; Jubbalub's post implies that the icon is just showing that the game has been cleared as the selected character and nothing more. It's a big stretch to go from that to not only assuming that it's a new feature for choosing what sprites to use, but also to assuming that this hypothetical feature only applies to one character.

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I still find it strange that a pencil and paper are used as a clear symbol.. you would think that they would go with something more like shiny stars (like in the Mario games) or even shiny rings if you want to keep it Sonic themed.

I’m not going to speculate on it too much but perhaps there’s more to it than that?

5. Oh that I'll agree with; it's an odd icon if that's what it's for. Anything further though is just baseless speculation and I felt that the reply I replied to earlier was deep enough into baseless speculation upon baseless speculation that someone had to call it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Londinium

Londinium

Maybe the pencil and paper signifies you can edit the save to your liking now?

Even then, if that is the case, don't know why they wouldn't just use a gear icon

If it is just a symbol that shows the save is clear, why not use a check mark?

Dang you Sega! Now I'm going to be up all night coming up with baseless theories trying to decipher why it's a pencil and paper sprite

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Will S3K retain its original data select screen? And it begs to question, why didn't they just give Sonic 1, 2, and CD that treatment instead of that interface a few posts above? Iirc the ports were various levels of weird when it came to selecting acts after beating the game, at least at certain points in time

8. Londinium

Londinium

The Sonic CD port is awful at the whole 'selecting acts' thing, because you literally cannot, it stays stuck at Metallic Madness 3.

The other ports (specifically the mobile ones) didn't even let you select acts.

9. corneliab

corneliab

Might be meant to represent a checklist? A checkmark would be clearer, though...

10. Agreed. I pre-purchased on Steam mere hours before learning about the intrusion of Denuvo that will surely last at least a month. I'd preferred to have waited throwing money at that version, but Switch orders weren't yet live and mod appeal was/is strong. The Switch version is still a guaranteed purchase prior to launch, as are any and all DLC for both copies. A physical cartridge will be copy three for me.

11. Londinium

Londinium

Haven't really seen any discussion on the newfangled 'hard missions.' What do you all think of that?

12. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    He may refer to unlocking those skills for the other modes, and I think it could work. Also beating Sonic 2 to get Tails on 1 and CD, and 3&K to get Knux on 1 and 2, but I guess character unlocking doesn't work when previous versions of these remasters had them unlocked since the beginning.

I'm wondering if/how getting good or bad endings will affect story mode. It's a bit weird to start S3K as Super Sonic after not getting all the emeralds in S2.

13. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Yeah I recall complaining about it in the Sonic 1 mobile port thread from way back. But they fixed that in an update for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, where selecting a completed save file would take you to a level select screen. Don't think Sonic CD was ever fixed in that regard however.

14. Wow, I like feel ashamed that I had yet to consider how emerald/time stone collecting or completion times could affect story beats. Now it seems like an obvious feature, so hopefully it will minimally affect the in-game transitions if not the gorgeous new animations.

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Original Mode better use a 50+ minute audio file for that screen to keep it authentic. :eng99:

I wouldn't expect it, but can you imagine if they wheeled out the old surfboard intro for those circumstances?

16. That Surfboard intro would be perfect for a transition from a normal clear of Sonic 2 to 3. I'm with you on not setting up any expectations, as even though they readily have access to such scrapped assets, they'd still have to craft new ones for other ending combos.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ooh that is a good point. Because without the emeralds the Sonic 3 intro makes no sense.

... these are the adventures of a fast critter and his magical friends fighting a fat guy who likes robots and the death star and eggs and I'm talking about "sense" :eng99:

18. Londinium

Londinium

[​IMG]
    Well guys, the unthinkable occured, looks like Polygon has made a joke unfunnier than anything I could ever cook up. I've been cucked out of my made-up and unrecognised position as the Sonic franchise's unfunniest jokester.

Seriously though, did they think they were clever by saying the classics were the only good ones? I literally felt like these two guys when I read that sorry excuse for a headline
    [​IMG]

On the topic of the surfboard transition from S2 to 3, how do you think they'll explain Tails' disappearance from the scene? Unless they add the Tornado to the surfboard scene, which honestly looks kind of funny when you think of it, seeing the Tornado barely keep up with a surfboarding hedgehog.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  19. Instead of the camera following Super Sonic to the right speeding ahead of the Tornado, it'll pull back to the left as Tails flies ahead to land lol.

20. These are one of the main things I am looking forward to seeing what they do with them... Heck, I might actually make some "hard missions" for Sonic Mania just for fun, now that I'm thinking about it...