don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Totally, it's just the principle I guess. Sega's usually a lot more consumer-friendly when it comes to mods and hacks and stuff compared to say, Nintendo, so it stands out more when they essentially force people to resort to piracy if they want to play AIR.

2. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Not that I'm excusing Segas crimes...because Im not....

I'm sure the developers for A.I.R. will find a way to make it available to people.

"Life uh, finds a way"

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    AIR isn’t going anywhere.

Legally being able to easily play the game required for AIR is.

4. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    AIR will just put up a disclaimer that you have to dump the game yourself and name it x.smd to execute the program. Then everyone will just download a rom off a shady site and name it x.smd

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    As I recall, one or both of those titles became part of what I believe was termed Nintendo Selects, which meant they were sold at a heavy discount from the original RRP. Besides the principle of the matter that it's taking away options from the consumer, there are cases where people will be affected by this. Not everyone is on the latest generation of consoles - there's a reason you still get the odd game releasing on systems even as far back as the Wii.

6. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Oh yeah, just to be clear I think Nintendo's move in those cases was bs too, "who is this hurting" comes from more of an angle that it was pointless for Nintendo to even do it. There were like what, 13 million Wii U owners? How many of those people (generally speaking, the hardest of Nintendo's hardcore following) haven't migrated to Switch by now? Or were waiting until 2019 to play Pikmin 3? It was anti-consumer in the pettiest way, meaning I don't really understand why they even bothered nor could I gin up that much outrage about it. Sega delisting Sonic 1 and 2 from the PlayStation 3 marketplace gives me similar vibes.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I mean, Nintendo has got you covered there!

8. Yeah that would be cool. I've calmed down from my rant earlier lol, I just get frustrated.

One of my fondest memories from Sonic 3 was seeing the inaccessible areas that where obviously meant for knuckles when that was released. It was a real mystery to me and my friends, and a magazine put out level maps which made the mystery even deeper. It was so cool. And then you finally got to play them as knuckles half a year later.

Maybe something like that could be done, new sections of levels that are inaccessible until further down the line, but maybe that's a better idea for a Mania 2

9. RIP half the SEGA Genesis Classics Workshop submissions.

Oh wait a minute… if they get rid of the Sonic Games, which are the main thing that was getting modified over there anyways… would that also be the end of that workshop???

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    There would be an influx of workshop 'mods' that are actually just entire Sonic games

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    How would you guys feel about a moveset progression for Sonic? Hear me out:

In Story Mode, since you’re going to play through all 4 games in chronological order, why not start off with a Sonic that has no moves (no spin dash, no peel out, etc.) and you unlock a new move with each game you beat. I think it lines up pretty well:

Start Sonic 1- you only have his jumping and rolling (like the original)
    Beat Sonic 1- unlock the Peel-Out (and the CD Spin Dash) to use in Sonic CD
    Beat Sonic CD- you unlock the Genesis styled Spin Dash for Sonic 2
    Beat Sonic 2- unlock the Insta-Shield for Sonic 3&K
    Beat Sonic 3&K- unlock the drop dash

The ultimate reward for beating Story Mode 100% would be a Max Control Sonic that you can utilize for all the games in all modes (classic, anniversary, etc.)

I don’t think it will go down this way (hell I doubt it will even happen lol) but it certainly adds much more replayability and more experimentation (but to be honest I’m sure everyone will want to have everything available for all the games anyway)

What do you guys think? Cool idea? Too much? Not necessary?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Honestly? Feels like such a waste to me. If the individual games aren't going to let you use max control, elemental shields, etc. outside of cheats without saving, the least they could do is let you use them in story mode since the beginning. This one should set itself apart from classic and anniversary modes, rather than artificially limiting itself to be closer to them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's some really stupid posts being made in this thread - stop that, please.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The (near) confirmation of a dropdash does raise an important question... how will the insta-shield work? SEGA seems to have a very "one button" philosophy when it comes to the classic games.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Initially I was going to say it will work the same way it does in AIR where you have to tap the jump button once to do the insta shield and hold it down again while in mid-air to do the drop dash.

But after seeing the trailer, the footage of Sonic in Marble Garden doesn’t show the insta-shield before the drop dash so it could be a toggle option

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  16. _Sidle

_Sidle

iirc Mania's "9001" sound test code just had you do both (you always do an Instashield before you start charging Dropdash)
    Since the trailer shot didn't actually show the instashield during the dropdash clip, it's safe to assume it's been swapped out. EDIT: Ninja'd

17. It also makes me wonder if we will use insta-shield in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I hope it’s a toggle option for both games and it’s not locked behind a level select in no save mode like it was originally

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The character select screen implies that you can use the different versions of Sonic in each individual game, so I’d imagine that’s how it’d work.

20. MastaSys

MastaSys

However might be just an ability toggle itself (something like in Mania). Better not get hopes up in case someone is expecting sprite changes.