don't click here

xm3smps: now with more Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Absolutely. Feel free to use the post I made earlier in this topic as a base of sorts, as well.

I'd put it in the SCHG How-to:Guide section.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    WARNING: Version 3.1 had a major bug appeared when I added the custom panning options! Thanks to Puto for noticing this, I can't believe I did such a big mistake in my code, and I can't believe I didn't notice it at first (though I admit I didn't do much testing to it).

In short: don't use version 3.1, I also deleted it from the wiki server. Go get version 3.1.1 please, and sorry for the whole mess.

xm3smps

Also, a note: I was having some problems with Visual Basic so I had to upgrade a few libraries. While the whole program should be better and stabler now because of this, you might need to download MSCOMCTL.OCX and MSCOMCT2.OCX, replacing COMCTL32.OCX and COMCT232.OCX (of course you shouldn't delete them if other programs need them), I was still using deprecated libraries and not the most recent ones because they're slightly smaller and should need less memory, except that they crashed Visual Basic when the project began to be too big for them. Think of a Genesis that tries to run a 5MB cartridge.

Also, the fact that no one else noticed that bug except from Puto confirms my initial idea, few people are actually using this.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...or maybe nobody else had that problem? I don't think there's a lot of people who even know what panning IS.

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I used it, and I have seen no problems. This program is awesome stuffz, Nineko.

5. nineko

nineko

italy
    The problem is that you got that bug if you DIDN'T set the pan. Interestingly enough, the custom panning (which I tested) was working fine, and the default panning (which I didn't test, because I thought "oh yeah it's the same code so it works for sure") screwed it up.
    Here is my stupid error:
    Code (Text):
    1. If defpan = 1 Then a$ = Chr$(224) + Chr$(192)
    2. If defpan = 2 Then a$ = Chr$(224) + Chr$(128)
    3. If defpan = 3 Then a$ = Chr$(224) + Chr$(64)
    4. Put #3, , a$
    The problem is that I wrote a$ to the binary file also if defpan = 0 (aka: "old mode"), so I outputed whatever I had in a$ at that time (most likely an F6 XX XX from the previous channel).
    Yeah a stupid mistake, it was the last day of the year also for me :P

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    From what it sounds like, though, if all channels had a central pan, then there'd be no difference anyway. Hence no bug report. A lot of people don't bother with panning.

7. nineko

nineko

italy
    That's the point. Let me explain again. With version 3.1 I added 7 combo boxes for the panning (6 FM + DAC), with 4 options: default, centre, left, right. By default, it's set on "default" (lol), which sets the defpan variable to 0 and uses the old code (which reads the 8xx commands from the XM file). If an user didn't change that combo (aka didn't bother with panning), he was going to get a broken output, as I wrote a trailing a$ with some other shit in it. You actually had to change the panning on ALL the combo boxes to avoid that bug. The new options are used to override the 8xx effects used in the XM (sometimes the panning in the XM is broken if you import a MIDI with Mod Plug Tracker).

However, that bug is fixed now; also, I'm not writing E0 C0 anymore when you set it to "centre", as it's not needed (thanks Tweaker).

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    OH SNAP, A TECHNICAL QUESTION! :o

About doing custom loops, does this have to be done in the XM file, or can it be done through the program here?

Also, what do you think of adding support for the TX81Z voice banks that come with Sonic QX (Txa - Txd)?
    It'd actually be pretty useful as it's a HUGE selection of voices to work with. It'd also save folks from having to export the voices to songs via SOME just to use elsewhere.

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    I think it's an awesome idea! In fact, I've been thinking about it since xm2smps 0.1, except that I don't know the format for syx files. I once tried to ask Saxman, with no success. Just use SOME or SQX, I guess, I'm sorry. That, or provide me specs for syx files.

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Having customized music in hacks is a blessing.
    Your work for this comunity is much appreciated, nineko.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    Working on the next release. Of course feel free to suggest any features you'd like to see implemented (keeping in mind the SMPS limits).
    For now, I'm adding some options.
    [​IMG]

(the spike bug thing is actually a joke suggested by Tweaker)

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

It has to say "Spike Bug Fix". =P

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    It is gone now anyway, it was just a joke. The "do not exit" option, instead, is staying and is priceless. You can click on X as many times as you want and it won't quit.

14. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

I am liking the options. How about making it so you don't have to unload a file to load a new one? If that is possible...

Also, More cats please.

15. nineko

nineko

italy
  16. Haha, sounds kinda like the stuff I do to annoy my computer teacher - I think it was a bit of a shock for her when she clicked on the save button and it became invisible :P. On topic, this looks awesome - it's a shame I'm clueless about music :P.

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

It looks better with the cat. It makes it feel more complete.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I agree with keeping the cat in. :D

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Can't. Kamineko is copyrighted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.