don't click here

xm3smps: now with more Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Do it smps and I'll convert all the songs from Bubble Bobble for you.

2. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I'll write up all the bubble bobble arcade songs in xm if you'd like.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    And I'll make the songs sound legendary.

GO TEAM VENTURE!

4. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    There's a version of Bubble Bobble for the X68000. All you'd need to do is disassemble it and fix up the graphics/audio stuff.

5. nineko

nineko

italy
    Right, I was bored and I decided to throw some of my songs into a Sonic 1 rom. Here it is, if you're interested, but it's nothing special, really. Some new songs and some palette edits for the sake of it. I'm not that good when it comes to hacking, I'm better at programming :P

Thanks to Puto for building it.

edit:
    Also, I'll take this chance to say that the xm3smps project has been cancelled due to the lack of general interest, and it won't be worked on anymore. This means that no further releases will be made available, since no one really cares about it, except for maybe 3 people.

edit 2:
    I updated that test rom a little. Now it features also new zone names. Also, built by myself, woo! :D

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I've had at least 5 different people coming to me about how to use this, so you're full of shit in that regard. They just don't tend to like posting is all.

Similarly, Sonic QX took about 3 years to actually start getting used correctly, so the issue isn't a lack of interest—just a lack of understanding. Perhaps more support (voice files, tutorials) would help draw interest, maybe?

You don't get a widely used program seconds after releasing—you have to work for it. You rely too much on people to figure things out by themselves, and it deters use.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Even if there were only 3 people interested in this (I suspect there are more than 3), it would still be worth working on for the quality of the hacks that might come out of it.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd like to see work on the project, but I can't get any trackers to work right.

9. Flygon

Flygon

I would also like to see some more work done on this project, as mentioned before, much more people than 3 are interested in this project.

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Considering all I really need is a decent XM tracker and I could probably start putting self-composed songs into Sonic games, I think cancelling it just because there's only 3 'ultra-active' people interested in it is sort of silly.

11. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I'm still interested! That's four!

12. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Even I plan to use it in my hack.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You can't get people interested if they still have no fucking idea what they're doing. Any program that makes it easier to have different music is a welcome for me but I have little to no fucking clue how this shit works. I'm not Marc, Puto, or Tweaker but shit man at least give me a bit more time before I figure this out and how to pump out decent sounding tracks before you decide the cancel it the day after you release it.

14. Flygon

Flygon

I also support this fact.

Mainly because I couldn't even figure out how to make voice files at all really, and the songs I did port had really bad voices. If this tool had continued work there would be much better use of it. But without more work the tool will not receive much attention really. You need to give this tool more time to grow basically, just orphaning it when it is a baby isn't going to make much happen.

Just my 2 cents.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Even I can figure out how it works, lamer. I mean, check out these sweet riffs!

With that said, you stop working on this thing and you're banned.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    And I can personally attest to the fact that, given the right information, this is very easy to work. Let me break it down.

FM1-5 = melodic channels. FM is what voices are for... voices are the instruments in a song, basically. They are $19 bytes each, and you can copy them straight out of a song if you like. This program takes .bin files full of voices... so basically, if you take the voice data from the end of the song (and you can figure out how using SCHG:Music Hacking) and put it in its own file, you can use that with this program.

PSG is bascially square waves. You can have 3 of them at one time, OR, you can have two square waves plus a noise channel (which is for hi-hats). You know what hi-hats are, right? Come on dudes, look it up.
    Don't know what a square wave is? Ever listen to NES or SMS music? Yeah, those are square waves. Use them, they're sexy.

DAC is for drums. DAC stands for Digital Audio Channel... so basically, it plays digital audio. Go figure. Sonic 1 has three drum samples you can use—kick (81), snare (82), and timpani (83, 88-8B). This is how we drop da beat, niggaz!

Now, each of these channels can only play one note at a time... this is called monophony. Playing chords in a single channel is called polyphony. You can do chords, you just need to split them amongst seperate channels. No biggie.

The nature of an XM file is very similar to SMPS music in the sense that it doesn't support polyphony, meaning everything is already monophonic. Cool, right?

So when you want to import an XM file, a good plan is to check out which song part is in each XM channel. You can do this using ModPlug Tracker, which can open up XM files, play them, view them, and edit them. Another cool thing about MPT is that you can import MIDIs to become XM files! Cool, right? You bet your sweet ass it is. It isn't always perfect, but it can turn out pretty sweet if you do it right.

The trick to good custom music is assigning channels right. Once you get that down, you're good to go. It just takes practice, and knowledge of the Genesis sound hardware—which I just gave to you. Now go out and practice. =P

17. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Well-written. I think that if even I can figure it out (once provided with a file of voices from s3k) everyone else can, since I'm not exactly the brightest one here. Not even close.

18. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Just a note, XM3SMPS actually has support for directly ripping voices out of a song.

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Stop posting in this topic please, I don't want to post that My Little Pony picture again and get another suspension.

I'm not sure, am I allowed to ask for a lock?

edit: of course, if I am allowed to ask for a lock, I wish to lock this topic. Thanks.

20. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Just a quick point/question I want to make.

It's obvious that a lot of people want to see this worked on even more. Even if you do not see the point, other people might. Would releasing your source so others can work on it be a possible second solution to this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.