don't click here

The 4th Annual Sonic "ROM Editing" Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Seeing as I have no fucking clue how to tranfer a ROM to a Genny cartridge, I won't be able to test my entries on hardware.

2. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    There's no need to. LocalH's machine can read ROMs in a floppy disk, and he will able to record your hack in one of them and test it for you.

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Well, I'm the sole hardware judge as of right now, so obviously I'd be loading the hack onto my Genesis for testing. That's why it's limited to 2MB or smaller currently. You might not be able to test your entries on hardware prior to entry, but I will say that most of the recent ROMs I've tested more or less work on hardware. Unfortunately, being the judge, I will NOT be able to test entries prior to my actual judging, to be fair (what would be the point if I tested and said "yeah, X, Y, and Z fuck up", and then every single entry worked flawless on hardware because of that). I think there are other people here with the capability to test on hardware, so you might be able to get some help from them.

So, basically, come one or two months before the deadline, I'm temporarily cutting off all hack testing on hardware, unless I'm specifically told that it's not an entry for the hardware award.

Think of it as a "side" award. It doesn't change the outcome of any of the other awards.

Edit: Well, actually, I feed it to the SMD over a parallel cable, but other than that you're right.

4. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
  5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Shouldn't this thread be unpinned?

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member

why? O_o

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yeah, why? The contest isn't over until May 31, 2006, leaving well over 6 months.

Repinned, unless there's a good reason for unpinning.

8. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    Oops, my bad. I thought this is the old one.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I guess LOst said that because now there's a separate forum for this contest.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, not really. Either way, this brings attention to aspiring hackers, old and new, about the contest. No use letting it die at the bottom of the forum and get closed.

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    2006? Oh I read it wrong. I thought it was over May 2005. No wonder why it is still here. Sorry people!

12. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Yep! Keep those hacks coming!!!

13. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    I feel so sorry for disappointing you all one more time. I won't take part in this year's contest. Why? Because my timetable has not allowed me enough time to improve my project.

I want to go away next year.

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think I'll definately enter this year, since I've actually got something playable to submit. I wanted to enter last year but I fucked up my rom somewhere and by the time I'd corrected it, the deadline had passed. I'll be ready this year though.

15. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble have uncompressed formats for Sonic and Tails... Heheh, I'll do a GFX hack. Something easy for someone who is more used to hacking Mario games :P

16. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    I, unfortunately, have neither the inspiration nor the attention span to make a good hack. Sorry.

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Oh? A reminder. =P

I will enter, once again with a private release.
    I only hope I will have the time to finish all that ASM stuff, besides my real life.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh, you'd better be sure I'm entering, and aiming for something higher than the piano trophy. :)

19. Guardian

Guardian

Pending Member
    Sonic & Mario
    You can bet I'll be entering as well.

20. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I oughta have my level done easily by then, even with all the slacking I'm doing(Kinda sad it takes me two years to release a new level, eh?)