don't click here

The 2013 Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Harder Levels:

Sonic 2 Adventure Edition:

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Podcast from earlier: http://shc.sonicresearch.org/shows/thursday.mp3

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Only a few more days left but there's still stuff to do.

-7pm BST / 2pm EST to 9pm BST / 4pm EST - MegaGWolf Stream
    -9pm BST / 4pm EST to 11pm BST / 6pm EST - Spanner Stream
    -11pm BST / 6pm EST to 12am BST / 7pm EST - Radio Rev: Hacking Contest Edition
    -1am BST / 8pm EST to 3am BST / 10pm EST - SomecallmeJohnny Stream

I intend to do a stream of myself tonight and tomorrow, basically showing off a selection of entries (no Generations mods due since my computer will probably shit itself). There will be commentary from the usual podcast people too. Once again I have to remind people to behave in the stream chats as it's getting to a point where if you are found doing something that you have been told countless times not to do, it's not just a timeout you'll receive, if you are a repeat offender, you're banned. Stop asking streamers to play this hack or that hack, if it's not in the hacking contest, IT WILL NOT BE PLAYED. END OF. I won't tolerate the same shitposting from the MegaGWolf and SomecallmeJohnny streams so if you do the same shit you have done there, you're gone. We're here to watch the entries be played, not ask countless times for Sonic 2 XL to be played or mentioning something.exe / OF DOOM. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. YOU NEVER WERE.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I didn't know what you were all going on about... Excuse my ignorance as I haven't been able to watch/listen to anything live...

BUT I just got done watching SomeCallMeJohnny's YouTube upload of the SHC stream on his channel. These fucking twats were asking him to play GTA 5 and Sonic Lost World and shit like that... along with Sonic 2 XL and other things. The GTA 5 stuff went for quite a while and people were asking him to play a bunch of shit that hadn't come out yet. Bless their hearts, the BrainScratch crew didn't miss a beat and played it all off with comedy, but fuck... speaking as a fan of theirs, show some fucking respect.

I'm not too keen on MegaGWolf outside of his hack showcase, but I heard he has gotten a lot worse from these shits... My condolences to him, especially. These guys take time outta their life to give something to the community and they are essentially spit and pissed on by these wastes of existence.

Da fuck??? Can these inbred idiots please be banned from life? Fuck the human race when stupidity hits this high. Spanner, I just may consider making pledges to charity for every fucktard you can get permanently banned from Retro that fucks with your stream.

RANT OVER

5. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    You know, this could be because you are directing a bunch of new people to the respective streamers. Ones that wouldn't care for the rules, while the regulars behave as usual but get drowned out.

6. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    The problem I see here with this post and what's been posted on the main SHC site is that you're expecting people to behave on Twitch.TV of all sites. The issue there is that Twitch as a website is sort of a breeding ground for "gamerz" I.e. spammy manchildren, or even ACTUAL children, to make the same jokes poeple already made, post the same emoticons everyone posts, and generally just be a douche. It's not good, no, but remember that not only do Gwolf and Johnny have a good amount of fans, but Twitch.TV is a MASSIVE website. Hell there's chances people would be coming in from fanbases outside of here, which would explain why some people might go "what the fuck is this shit, play some gta5" and etc. Now I wasn't on the Mega G wolf stream so I'm just guessing that's probably what happened, as it'd make sense.

You shouldn't have to deal with this but you're hosting on Twitch so you should know what you're getting into. Think of it like this; would you get as mad at people crapping up your Youtube comments section? At this point in our lives I'm pretty sure most of us just read the top two comments and ignore the rest, because they're all fucking horrible! It's the nature of the website, and you just have to bite your tongue. If people are spamming, well that's why we have slow mode. It's not the best solution I suppose but it's a good one nonetheless. Seriously though, if you want to see /bad/ livestreams you should look at Saltybets now. It's literally just a reaction box. Not like Salty can give anyone any kind of feedback outside the requests rounds, but still.

tl;dr, Twitch.TV has a crappy userbase so I don't think it's justified to get mad at everyone watching the stream when the loud, obnoxious crowd might very well be the same assholes who do that on every other stream they visit.

Also, why didn't anyone think of making the streams password protected and just posting the password on the main site? I'd think for the most part that'd cut down on bots... EDIT: though password protected streams can't be embedded so maybe that wouldn't work (then again the embedded stream doesn't have a chat box :V}

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    At this point we're getting more mods on board for the streams to help reduce the nonsense. Yes, this is mostly because of the Twitch user base and not the Sonic community but still, when they've been told countless times to not do stuff and do it anyway, what can you do? We don't want the streams to stop running because it's helped quite a lot for this contest and it's something we'd like to continue doing every year. However, it doesn't mean that we won't go back to the drawing board and figure out how stuff will work next year.

There is no chat box in Twitch's embeds for some reason so if you're watching from the site consider yourself lucky you don't have to see that mess. MegaGWolf's stream will be starting in ten minutes and after his will be mine. Enjoy the shows.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Is SSRG (including the contest website) down for anyone else, or is it just me?

If its not too much trouble, can you post the podcasts from Monday and Wednesday as well?

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Monday and Tuesday.

MegaGWolf's stream is starting now.

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Thanks a lot!

SSRG is also loading up fine now, all is well.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Thankfully MegaGWolf's stream was better than yesterday's. I'm starting my own live stream at 9pm BST / 4pm EST which is just only a few minutes away so get in here and watch more hacks.

Saturday's Schedule:

-4pm BST / 11am EST to 6pm BST / 1pm EST - DalekSam SMPS Import Workshop
    -6pm BST / 1pm EST to 7pm BST / 2pm EST - Spanner Stream (Part 1: Making up from last night's early finish)
    -7pm BST / 2pm EST to 9pm BST / 4pm EST - MegaGWolf Stream
    -9pm BST / 4pm EST to 11pm BST / 6pm EST - Spanner Stream (Part 2)
    -11pm BST / 6pm EST to 12am BST / 7pm EST - Radio Rev: Hacking Contest Edition

Please note that this is the LAST DAY for Community Trophy voting.

12. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Just to confirm the above I will be hosting a music workshop! I'll be covering a few things in it, which include:

• Preparing a midi for SMPS from start to finish in FL Studio
    • mid2smps conversion in full
    • My workflow
    • Tips and tricks
    • Q&A

There may be a few guests lined up to assist me, but don't hold me to that. If all goes planned I will be starting at the times Spanner has lined out in the above post.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Sonic 2 Recreation:

Unleashed Project:

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    For those who missed my workshop earlier:

Project files will be uploaded soon (when I fix them).

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Very nice. I'll favourite that and use it when I decide to get back into writing music.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Green Snake:

MBV:

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Please join us for the results show on MegaGWolf's stream at http://www.twitch.tv/megagwolf as we announce this year's winners of the Hacking Contest from 7pm BST / 2pm EST.

A thread will be posted with this year's winners after the stream has ended.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Live Streaming now starting for the Results Show! Get in here!

http://www.twitch.tv/megagwolf

19. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    If anybody is interested, due to Halloween standards, im doing An Ordinary Sonic 1 ROM Hack as a Livestream on my YouTube Channel, Usingnero, please check it out, comment, and tell me what you'd like to see.