don't click here

The 2013 Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    While we're almost nothing compared to SomeCallMeJohnny and MegaGWolf, I'm definitely going to be covering every single public contest entry (that I can play) on the new Geek Critique YouTube channel. Planning on doing an overview video of about 10 minutes for each game, then putting out a video announcing our personal choices for each of the public categories. I'm going to put a ton of work into this in hopes of helping to grow the channel (and our burgeoning entertainment skillset).

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    As of about 2 minutes after this has been posted, the main fun of the SHC begins; Entries that are set to be visible to all become visible to all, Downloads meant to be available become available, and you get to have your say on what people have up with by both Commenting on said entries and voting for them on the available Community Trophies!

You will notice some new sections available at the top of the site. Voting will take you to a page showing all community trophies and the current status of their results in real-time; please read what is said at the top and do not use these as an indicator on what you should vote for, vote for what you want to see win the trophy. Streams will take you to a page with all available streams running during this Contest Week; both MegaGWolf's and SomeCallMeJohnny's Twitch.tv streams, as well as a radio stream section (the latter will be up later today).

The login system is also now open to all member groups bar Misfit/Exile, meaning everyone gets their say. Please do note we will be moderating everything to a great degree, as well as able to track and ban all those who abuse the system in place. It may also end up with your ban on the respective forum you have logged in from in the first place.

Spanner will post later on today with more information about the Contest Week itself and events running throughout, but for now everyone get stuck in and enjoy!

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The site keeps booting me off when I try to log on. I cannot... or nothing. Can download though so that's a plus

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I have reuploaded the disassembly for the Daily Contest because I forgot to do the thing SonED2 needs for GHZ editing.

Also, if anyone is intending to submit, no custom chunks please. Just use what is provided.

6. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    I'm obviously going to whore myself out for the community as I did a couple years ago for SAGE. I won't do complete playthroughs of each one, I'm not a maniac. I will get all of the currently available entries out and about, though. As of this post, I'm rendering my third video, and my second video has already uploaded.

I can't embed the playlist because lol IP.Board, but I can link it here!

As for the videos, they are quite basically gameplay. Nothing more, nothing less.

7. TrackerTD

TrackerTD

Dragon Land is Screaming! Member
    Classic Sonic in Sonic 4 Episode II's download link seems to redirect me to the main page, not entirely sure why.

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Welp. I've got a LONG couple of days ahead of me:

It's gonna be SO much fun, though!

9. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    It's because you put quote marks in your title. :P Must note for future that it breaks things. I've removed them now.

EDIT: Something I forgot to check, actually, were for entries with youtube videos in their gallery, that they all worked. If you have an entry with non-working youtube videos, let me know.

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I thought it didn't work because it wasn't contest week yet. :v: I thought it might've been related to not being a direct download link rather than affected by the title.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a heads up that any Twitter people can follow @shcontest for the latest updates, event reminders and much more. If you're going to discuss the contest week, please use the hashtag #shcontest.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/12/5-encouraging-things-about-sonic-lost-world

What the hell. (25 seconds in) But I just uploaded that video today, do they edit their videos at the last minute? :v: I must've been the first result for their search lol.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    We are live for the radio now at http://radio.tsukihi.me:8080/hackingcontest - sorry for any technical issues.

14. I think the SHC page is down. Can anyone else confirm?

15. I can confirm that's it's down. Seems like the entire site just went poof.

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    We're working on it. Will be back up as soon as possible. The radio stream and live streaming is unaffected and will be on as normal.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    In the meantime though, it looks like SonicVaan mirrored the hacks on SonicGamesDimension here:

http://sonicvaan.sonicgamesdimension.net/mirror/SHC2013/

*EDIT* I think some are missing, but most of them are there though.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Hey guys; sorry about all the fun and games, but my webhost provider cut out the site due to server load. (You guys killed it from overuse! In one day! :v:) It's in the process of being moved to a new server (SSRG's), and there are some errors to fix with the move. Don't worry, everything is still there - entries, votes, comments, etc. - we just need to finish fixing it so it actually loads the pages properly (fastCGI is a bitch with friendly URLs).

I'll be fixing it just my lunch break at work today, so it'll be up again at the latest 2pm BST.

Thanks for your patience.

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If anyone wants to know how much activity this contest has been getting, MegaGWolf broke his viewer record with over 300 and SomecallmeJohnny had 700, maybe more last night. It could get better and better throughout the week.

Anyway, here's today's events which are still going on regardless of the server issues:

Monday's podcast can now be listened to. I'm aware there were some issues connecting to the radio last night which I am trying to fix, instead of .m3u you can also connect to just /hackingcontest - a few browsers like Chrome will open up its own media player to listen in.

On the first daily contest, we asked you to do a level layout for Green Hill Zone. We only got one entry. So we're going to give you another chance to make a layout as well as take part in the new daily contest - making new level art. To take part, download this disassembly if you haven't already as we'll be using that throughout the week.

We want you to re-imagine Green Hill Zone, give us your take on what it should look like (how it looks is completely up to you). We ask that you work with the level chunks provided in the original to provide compatibility with the winning level layouts.

• Email your submission to shc[@]sonicresearch[.]org. You need to upload the complete disassembly that we provided you so that we have the content to be transferred over to the disassembly where all the winning entries will be.
    • It would be appreciated if your subject name was “Tuesday Entry” for example so we can keep track easily. Obviously if it was Wednesday's entry, it'd be “Wednesday Entry”. State in the email if it's only the level layout you did, level art or both!
    • The results will be announced during the Contest Results Podcast on Sunday with the ROM being available for download soon after.
    • We ask that you work on content exclusive to this submission and not whatever you have lying around in a hack you haven't submitted this year for example. We want to see how much you can do in the time provided.
    • You must submit your entries by Wednesday 3am BST (Tuesday 10PM EST). No late entries will be accepted!

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hey, we had 174 views on a single video and seven new subscribers in one day. That's actually pretty good for us, haha. The first two videos in what we spontaneously decided was called the 2013 Sonic Hacking Contest Roundup will be posted at 12pm and 6pm today, and they will respectively be An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack and Metal Sonic Hyperdrive.