don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome stuff, it runs at 60FPS in my laptop even without having installed the correct drivers. No fullscreen for me, though.

By the way, am I really the only one who knew about LOst's involvement, just by reading the forum's posts?

2. Link

Link

Well, I just tested. This is pretty amazing stuff you got there! Very good work, I liked it on first sight.

It's running flawlessly on my system.

AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    2 GB RAM
    Geforce 8600 GT 512 MB
    Windows XP x64 edition

And you've got great artists.. Sonic's tumbling animation is awesome!

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, and you'll sometimes get stuck in the ground after trying that.

If I remember correctly, there's a specific routine that was made in Sonic 1 so he could do just that near the beginning of Spring Yard (and other curves in ceilings). It might not have been ported yet, I guess.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've got a laptop with this:

Intel Core 2 at 2.0 GHz
    2 gig RAM
    Intel Integrated Mobile 945 Express

Needless to say, that last part is clearly the weak link in my performance. Playing the 4x demo runs well when I disable visual themes/desktop composition, but the other two demos hold at 45fps when I do this. Incidentally, I have a TON of unused CPU clock time during all of this that I can't help but feel is going to waste in the other two modes.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Fullscreen needs a 1280 x 960 resolution to work, if your monitor support that res, It will work, if not, it will show a black screen cause its looking for that res and It cant find it.

1280 x 960 is HD after all, we still need to fix the fullscreen for others resolutions.

6. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Moral: Get a computer

Anyway, this is stunning. With the slow but open progress, I wasn't really that much interested but now I'm wowed. I just can't get enough out of it. Can't wait for the final release Vincent, and the other S2HD staff!

7. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Man, screw Apple and it's inability to work OpenGL into its X11 server (thereby making Wine mostly unhelpful). I really wanted to play this thing.

8. Yuzu

Yuzu

I enjoyed it a lot, I don't really have any complaints since it ran at a solid 60fps. Although my computer can run Crysis on High with a constant 30+ fps

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The 2x demo also shows a collision detection bug that I noticed right before the public release (deadline was evil this time). Starting from the middle of the bridge, holding left until the player hits the middle of the half loop, the player will fall through the floor while turning back to zero angle. Since this bug can be performed almost anytime, it is easier for me to track it and debug what went wrong. Along with a Knuckles wall bounch bug in the opposite direction from the same bridge, and the loop physics as pointed out not working, are the top priority for me to have fixed. I see these stuff as extremely important and must work. Thank you for pointing it out MK!

I will create a game controller that will act as a replay recorder/playback that will be used to track bugs in future releases (and demo creation of course). For example, if a wall bug appears it can be the code that is wrong, or the level data that is wrong. It is hard to guess without a replay, so that will also be a high priority.

Also note that the "1" formed section was created for testing reverse gravity pushing and balancing, but it is not a correct slope type for Sonic, which means you can basically jump through the top parts when coming from different jump angles.

About the S-tunnel, and how it throws the player in a non-Sonic 2 way is because I decided to use AIZ's S-tunnel object instead. It was a choice I made and it can be changed back to Sonic 2 very easily since that part was ported as well. Sonic 3 supports more spin-forcer modes, where Sonic 2 has one I think.

That's pretty much all I have to say at this point since the engine is so pre-alpha.

/LOst

EDIT1:
    I believe that the full screen bugs has to do with the monitor, and not the graphics card. If the monitor doesn't like the resolution, it blanks out. I am pretty much using Direct3D for that stuff so I don't have control over it at the moment. Look in the monitor display properties and see if you can run 1280x960 at 60Hz. If not, that is the problem. If 60Hz is the main problem, then I can probably fix it.

EDIT2:
    I hope you are right about that, because else we must go with Full HD 1080p and many people will cry including me. Basically that resolution is too large to handle when rendering multiple layers. My 512MB grphics card can play a Full HD movie (that is 25 fps one layer) but pretty much on the limit. My monitor only supports max 1600x1200. So I choosed to develop using four times 320x240 (aspect) resolution so that I can have full control visually on every single pixel.
    Of course then Sonic 2 HD is completed, computers might be faster. 1080p is cinema resolution and I want to play Sonic 2 in a cinema, won't you?

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Ran at 1 to 7 FPS for me, lol.

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Excellent work, LOst, it's good to see that your intentions are finally made public.

I'm a bit worried about the copyright issues, though. As far as I understand what has been said, this game will be completely free when finished. But that means that it will essentially become a carbon copy of Sonic 2, but a completely free one. Take a look at HD projects for Doom or Duke Nukem, for example, they're not really 'free', they still require the original level data to function, they would be deemed piracy if they didn't. If Sonic 2 HD will function on its own, SEGA will have a good reason to shut down the project, as it will be tampering with their sales of the original Sonic 2 (and its ports, e.g. Virtual Console). I'd suggest making the engine read the level data from Sonic 2 rom.

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member

Yeah, But look what happened to Chrono Trigger: Resurrection, It was not for sale/profit, and it got shut down.

13. Woot

Woot

It's looking great. I'd like to get some work done on the sound effects, I think they could be improved.

14. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    There are several hundred [crappy] Sonic fangames, they haven't done anything about that. Oh, and don't forget the leak of over a thousand inhouse prototypes :)

Either Sega doesn't care, or they know that drawing attention to this will make it more popular. On the off chance a C&D is sent, it will be ignored.

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    A single 1920x1200 framebuffer only uses ~9 MB VRAM. If you had four layers plus a front buffer, that'd be 45 MB. I don't see why a 512 MB video card wouldn't be able to keep up with that.

16. SpinelSun

SpinelSun

Oldbie
    Specs:
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
    2 GB DDR3 1333 SDRAM
    Geforce 9800 GTX 512MB

There are a few places where it dips below 60fps. Namely fade-ins, the Sonic Retro fade-in drops to 56ish, the 4x Res screen fade-in drops to 53ish, the title screen fade-in drops to only 59, and the ingame fade-in drops to 23!
    Ingame is mostly a solid 60/60 with an occaisonal rare random drop to 59. However I also get slightly more rare 1 skipped frame while the counter still shows 60/60, then after it says "SKIPPED 1" the counter drops to 59/60...

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    That doesn't seem like the brightest of all ideas :/

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ah... according to my current display settings, I'm running at 1024x768 at 75hz. My graphics card supports higher resolutions than this, but my monitor doesn't—that's probably why I can't run it. Should I try switching to 60hz to see if that helps?

Also, wouldn't it be possible to have the screen scale to the monitor's max resolution or something? I don't see myself having the monetary resources to get anything above 1024x768 for a while, and the windowed version fits within that resolution—it should be entirely plausible to make full screen cover that area just as well, shouldn't it?

19. Dragstik

Dragstik

Okay. Downloaded and tried it.
    The engine is awesome, works very well and the art is really cool too.

It worked at 20-26 FPS skipping from 1 to 17 frames in windowed mode. Full screen didn't work.

My specs:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Intel Celeron 420 1.60 GHz
    512 MB DDR RAM
    nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 64 MB

I didn't think it would need so much graphical power.

20. Acaeris

Acaeris

Sugarcube... Member
    Spec:

AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.81 Ghz)
    896 Mb RAM
    Radeon XPress 200M

Windowed Mode:
    ~30/60 fps in all modes
    1x Mode RAM = 190Mb
    2x Mode RAM = 190Mb
    4x Mode RAM = 180Mb

Full Screen
    Black screen even though the monitor supports the resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.