don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is awesome but unfortunately it's raping computer's it seems. Will that be fixed in the future?

2. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I guess that this won't work on my "standard" laptop. :)

*Sighs*

Better wait for my girlfriend to come back from Holiday so I can use hers. :)

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Nuts, GerbilSoft was right :)

This is not gonna work at all on my sucky laptop.

4. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Runs perfect on mine

AMD 64 3800+ 2.4 Ghz
    1 GB of Ram
    ATI radeon 3870 512 MB edition

5. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Congratulations, it's looking good, that's a pretty good start. :)

However, I'm surprised with most comments from people that like me have been playing Sonic for years saying that the physics seem almost 100% accurate. I mean, they're pretty ok, but in my opinion Sonic feels like he's too light and he accelerates too fast without the need of gathering speed first, specially when going vertical, he goes up like an out of control rocket.

Also, his speed transition isn't very smooth, sometimes he moves much slower than he should, then the next moment out of nowhere he speeds up like crazy, like if he had done some Spindash or like he is in some sort of speedup old movie. This awkward behaviour also happens during Knuckles' flight.

And no, I'm not talking about frameskip. It runs a solid 60/60 in my PC. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    2 Gb RAM
    NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

But it obviously needs to be optimized, a game like this shouldn't need such system specs.

6. Korou Tenshi

Korou Tenshi

UK
    Make it for more than one operating system and we might be onto something

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Someone should make a youtube video. I wanna see how it looks and sounds without playing it. My poor computer might not run it anyway.

8. MaxKnight

MaxKnight

Local MCP Member
    Just wanted to say awesome job, everyone. It's everything I expected it to be, and more. All three run perfectly fine at 60FPS, though I haven't tried fullscreen yet (I rarely do anything fullscreen).

Just for the record, my specs: (well above stated requirements)

Intel Core2 Quad 2.5GHz
    4GB RAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
    NVidia GeForce 8500 GT 512MB

I have a one year old laptop running slightly lower total specs than required that I'd like to try it out on, but I don't have time right now. I'll likely not be able to check it for about 24 hours, but I will post a report on it when I do. Every little bit of testing helps, right?

Edit: So I couldn't get to sleep, so I decided to try it out on the olde laptop.

All three versions get about 35-50FPS in Windowed Mode. I cannot get Fullscreen to to anything, though, but that's not a big problem for me. Specs are as follows:

AMD Turion64 X2 1.8GHz
    2GB RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    NVidia GeForce Go 6150 64MB

I should note I'm running 1440x900 resolution on the laptop, and 1680x1050 on the desktop I originally described. I can get fullscreen on the desktop. I hope this information helps!

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I've got to wonder, why are the executables protected? (Attempting to unpack them with UPX resulted in a "file is modified/hacked/protected" error.) This doesn't really seem like a "community project", especially with all development happening behind closed doors, locked executables, and custom file formats without documentation.

Also, why were separate executables needed for different zoom levels? This seems like something that would be done much more easily as a command line parameter or even as an in-game setting.

10. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I'm pretty sure it's hard to document formats for a very rushed Tech Demo, but I agree with some of the sentiments. I sorta wish it was more open, but ultimately it's their decision.

11. Skaarg

Skaarg

Also one other weird thing I've never had any other game or program do. On the startup settings as a controller it shows my C-Media USB Headphone Set. :)

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Also, any particular reason why shaders are in use? I'd think that for a 2D game, all you'd need are a lot of blits.

13. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I am very impressed with this, it's well above the quality I expected for such an early release!
    The game runs well at around 60 fps, rarely dropping to 57-ish. I don't even have a graphics card just integrated mobo graphics and 1gb ram.

14. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It only runs at about 20fps during gameplay for me, which is odd because my laptop is well within the requirements:

2GHz
    2GB RAM
    ATI Radeon X1250 (830MB)

15. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    This is pretty amazing to see in action. Everything runs smoothly and the visuals are stunning. The physics themselves are pretty much accurate to the original from what I can see. I can't wait to see a full act of Emerald Hill.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, then, erm... I have no idea what you're using as a basis of comparison, because the physics seem absolutely spot-on to me. Do you normally play Sonic 2 in emulators with 2x or more screen resolution? This is more or less how it works. Any flaws in the physics are due to program slowdown—I can't attribute it to anyone else.

And can anyone explain why the full screen issues occur, and perhaps how to get it to work if it doesn't? I'd very much like to play this in full screen. :)

17. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    One dead giveaway that it isn't a perfect recreation of s2's physics is that you can slide while ducking. In s2 you'd go into a roll. It's more like s3's physics, which is fine by me, but perhaps not for the project leaders. Still, something does feel a little different and I'm getting a perfect 60/60 framerate on all builds (it skips one frame occasionally).
    Widescreen support would be nice. Just something so the screen isn't stretched in fullscreen.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    That's because it is indeed a port of the Sonic3k physics (it has reversible gravity), not Sonic 2.

19. Good job! :)

But the animation of Tails in the title screen is wrong :)

20. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    But but but, I thought this was supposed to be Sonic 2 HD.

Oop, sorry. My bad. Still, aren't a lot of people going to complain about removing the air speed cap and stuff (like I said, I'm fine with it and even support using s3's physics)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.