don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    It's a tech demo. The foreground obviously isn't final. Though, you're 'comparison' makes me realize even more how awesome this looks.

2. Sciz

Sciz

I've been amazed at how many people are writing it off as essentially a cheap Flash game because of it, though. The Digg comments are the only ones I've seen that don't have people ripping into the art.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    COMING SOON: SONIC 2 HD FOR SEGA GENESIS! WOW!

[​IMG]

:P

4. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
  5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I did, and I got pleasured by many women as a result!

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Could have been worse. If it was Luke Plunkett he'd open with something about kissing from Sonic 06, call Sega shit a few times, say Sonic was shit a few times more, then close by calling Sega shit a few more times.

Can't someone in Australia slap this guy in the face a few times with a Dreamcast? :(

EDIT:
    Your point? They aren't on every fucking message board on the internet sucking Miayamoto's cock and proclaiming that no-one ever need any gaming system that doesn't have a Nintendo logo on it.

The only thing that elevates Nintendo fanboys above Apple ones is that Nintendo makes some products I am actually interested in.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    On some forums, people get probated for shitty low content posts like that. Enough with the derail please.

And on a vastly more related note - Digg'd!

8. Chron

Chron

I'm not sure that this is really a glitch, but I just thought it was something worth pointing out. On the 2x tech demo, if you start on the top left of the screen, run to the right and jump at the right time, you land on top of the wall. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Anyways, great demo! I thought the physics were spot on, but I haven't played Sonic 2 in a little while, so I wouldn't know.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You can also spin through the wall on the right of that demo, after going through the tunnel and holding right.

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I just wanted to say two things:

1. This is awesome; the engine has come quite some way in such a short time.

2. You majorly overstated the needed CPU. I ran this smoothly at 60 FPS, fullscreen, full size on a crappy 1.86 Ghz P4 laptop.

11. Great! I played it and was absolutely amazed! I bet this will have more downloads than sales that will be Sonic unleashed (with enough publicity). The only glitch I found was when using the gravity well. I spin dashed up the right curve wall and the used gravity well to fly up high, turnt it off, then fall roll down the right wall. When I reached the middle of the left ramp I press the anti gravity button again only to fall right the the ramp and under the screen (Which makes no sense because I was supposed to be going upwards) But gravity wells aren't a major part of the game so it shouldn't be a problem. =)

12. notaz

notaz

Tech Member
    Doing 60 without problems on my Ubuntu box (Core2 Duo E6750 + GeForce 7300 GT). No special wine setup needed, only copied the "Needed D3D DLL Files". No complains whatsoever, keep up the good work!

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Assuming that was aimed at me, I'm fairly confident that I'm a bit more experienced with the board & community than you are...

If it wasn't - fair enough. =P

Either way, yes, back on topic.

14. I might be a bit late and redundant in posting this, but it seems to work in Wine. I didn't have to change any settings or anything, I just had to put the D3D DLLs in the same folder as the EXEs.

screenshot - http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9526/wineib1.jpg

Great work, guys. This is going to be one of the best works of the Sonic Community.

15. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Well what can I say that hasn't been said already... the engine is just excellent. It does feel like a port, which is indeed a sign of a good job.

Now just port some more objects, the boss, and do a playable EHZ tech demo :P

16. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Hello :) I would like to congratulate you on this wonderful release, you lot are realy onto something with this! keep it up ;)

I wouls like to not that this runs between 50-60 fps on my pc with the 4X version and around 45fps for the 1x version.
    The specs of my pc are as follows:

CPU: Sempron 3000+ (1.8Ghz)
    RAM: 1GB DDR (400mhz)
    GFX: Nvidia Geforce 6200
    Screen: 32" hanspree HDTV
    Max resolution: 1360x768

Its a shame that I cant run this tech demo in full screen, and I know its pre-alpha, so im asking if it would be possible to support many different full screen resolutions at lots of different aspect ratios 4:3 16:9 and 16:10, so that when it is released as many people as possible will be able to enjoy this in full screen, if its possible of course.

Don't get me wrong this tech demo is very very good. sonic's animations and art are spot on, the physics are spot on , the music... again is spot on, if you lot can pull this off. It will probably be one of the more popular freeware games made on the internet, if not the most popular (im getting ahead of myself now aren't I XD)

Anyways, im off to play some more and I will report any bugs that I see :)

17. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Oh I believe they will consider aspect ratios when the game is finished, and not just as an add-on-easter-egg type of thing.

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks again guys! :)

Stay tuned, surprises are not finished yet.

19. Awesome, with one major problem. My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, and while running it in fullscreen works, it stretches everything unpleasantly. Is there any chance the final version could support black bar on the sides to make the aspect ratio correct?

Other than that, good work! The physics felt 99% solid, and everything else felt good. Can't wait for further releases. Guess I'll have to follow this project again now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.