don't click here

Sonic X-Treme Found!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheRedEye, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightning

Lightning

indeed Tech Member
    Oops, my apologies to Mr. Eye. I could've sworn that they taught analogies in middle school literature class, at latest...

We sure would've been willing to put forth quite a bit more money just to make a generic CD-R worthless in your eyes, I suppose =P

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That ratman guy could be any of the non-validated guys at this or any other Sonic forum getting his e-revenge. I guess TRE was right, these things should be kept outside of the general fan masses until somebody actually gets the stuff to be shared. =\

3. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    So let me get this straight. I'm a selfish bastard, and the collector market view of CD-R prototypes is also my view. Is there anything else I should know about myself, because considering I've personally lost thousands of dollars and have released more unreleased games on the internet for free than anyone in the world, these new revelations are startling!

4. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Several people are thinking about this possiblility too.

5. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    There's credibility to both sides of the argument. As long as there are collectors who feel that it shouldn't be publically released, then that's something you have to contend with. There's no reason to lash out at Frank, he's done more to see that prototypes get dumped than most people have. The person we need to lash out at is ratman, for being a giant prick.

6. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    INTERNET

7. Lightning

Lightning

indeed Tech Member
    From the point of view of the person who keeps it to himself, then, sorry for the confusion. =|

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Either you misunderstood something or you've just told the wrong person by mistake.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    ...TheRedEye deserves more respect than he is being given here.

We should be grateful to him for making this topic in the first place.

10. LocalH

LocalH

This isn't INTERNET, this is dealing with the prototype AND collector scene, with actual money involved.

Edit: Yeah, he deserves a metric fuckton more respect than he's getting. I'm not saying kiss his ass or anything, but Frank's a good man. He could have just kept it at ASSEMbler's and then maybe one of us would have seen it.

Next time something like this comes along, I feel it should be handled either entirely over IMs, or perhaps in a forum that is not guest-readable (like ML or TML). That's how I think this happened, someone who had become disgruntled with the Sonic scene decided to fuck with us. I feel that fucking over the guys at ASSEMbler's was just "collateral damage", if you will.

11. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    I'm just reminding him that he's taking this way too seriously. Now that I think about it, so is everybody else here.

Don't panic. =P

12. LocalH

LocalH

I'm not panicking, in fact the peak of my anger subsided long ago. Life goes on, but ratman's still a fucknut.

13. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Nah, I know what he meant, and he's right.

Incidentally, for those who don't know me, this is my website: http://www.lostlevels.org

There are lots of unreleased games there, and each one of them costed us lots and lots of money. And inevitably, when we resold the originals, they were worth a lot less. I'm sorry if some of you want to make the same flawed "original painting" argument that I was making five years ago, but this is the real world. And in the real world, the collectors' market is the only way to determine the "value" of an original prototype. And to a collector, the original is worthless once the data has been distributed.

And being called a "selfish bastard" and having other nasty things assumed about me makes me understand why a lot of these collectors don't share what they have.

14. LocalH

LocalH

Well, the way I see it, there are two different types of "value" being spoken about. The first is the financial value, and is what the collectors are referring to. Many people who wish to see the prototype released are talking about the intrinsic value of the original media itself, being the source for the data. I see credibility in both views, but unfortunately it seems to boil down to who has the most money (as in too many other facets of life).

And yeah, too many people jump to conclusions. Just like everywhere else, there are those who are zealous about what they pursue, and those who aren't so zealous.

15. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    If the buyer is as much of a collector as he says he is, he'd have no problem ripping it. Last month, I bought original SNES copies of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III - and I don't have an SNES. I bought it as a collector, not as a gaming purchase. On the other hand, I don't have a problem with everyone emulating the game. Everyone should have a chance to play it, not just the select few who can afford to buy it right now.

If he's willing to take videos, I don't understand why he wouldn't distribute an ISO unless he's obsessively selfish.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Haven't you read? These people could care less about just owning the ORIGINAL copy, or the pride they get from releasing it to over a thousand rejoicing Sonic fans. They just collect it and keep it for themselves, because they feel it has lost its value when other people have copies.

Which in a way is pretty damn selfish.

17. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Um, yeah, I read, that's why I posted that reply. You basically restated everything I said. >>;;

18. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    Jesus H Christ, do you people understand anything?

The guy who purchased this disk is paying OVER $2000. If he releases the data on the disk, it will DEPRECIATE IN VALUE.

He will have effectively LOST MONEY. It's like throwing money away!

Would you throw money away? NO!? SELFISH BASTARDS!

Get over it. The disk has been bought, there's nothing you can do. He's not selfish, he's smart.

19. AndyAML

AndyAML

Canada
    burp
    Holy crap, guys.

Anybody who says the buyer is being selfish -- the fact of the matter is that he is NOT AT ALL OBLIGATED to share anything with us. Read that last sentence over a couple of times. It's his money, he paid for it, so it's up to him what he decides to do with it. He doesn't have to share a single bit of info about it with us. The fact that the buyer is even choosing to share video and screenshots (high quality, I might add) shows that he is going out of his way to help us out as best he can. Like it or not, collecting is a business of sorts, and an item this expensive isn't simply something one cannot give away freely without losing a lot of money.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Note I said IN A WAY, to clarify, I mean from some points of view. I guess I didn't form that properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.