don't click here

Sonic X-Treme Found!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheRedEye, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Why the fuck doesn't he rip and distrib it? Its not like he loses the "item", and its not like we have the real thing. Its a ripoff, fake or not

2. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    You can't hack a video. We might have been able to get some stuff out of the actual CD, but we won't out of a video, so we won't learn as much.

3. Kles

Kles

Really, I agree with Quick Man. As long as the buyer gets thorough video, it's all we REALLY need. I doubt that under the surface, there's probably not too much there. There is probably nothing but the shell of other levels.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    There will not be anything in the CD to hack.

5. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Hey, I wanted to play the game too. Just be happy that this game exists, and we'll finally have some media worth a damn.

6. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Oh well, at least we get the video....

7. chaosmaster

chaosmaster

Pending Member
    this is bad. oh well, it's better than nothing.

8. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    TO SUMMARISE WTF JUST HAPENNED

1. An anonymous seller offers an incomplete Sonic Xtreme disc to assemblergames.com for a 'four-figure sum', offering only a disc photo initially as evidence
    1a. (postings at other boards?)
    2. TheRedEye posts this thread in GeneralSonicGames to notify the Sonic scene. Becomed outraged when some members don't like the idea the have to buy it to share the hidden magical secrets; lashes out at some
    3. Offers trickle in initially; after prominent respected members are shown a video of the disc's contents. No confirmation/screens on authenticity still
    4. After 'anonymous seller' (referred to hereafter as 'AS') decides for a short sale period (a few hours), and the sceners (and assembler members) still haven't raised enough money, 'ratman' claims s/he'll add enough money to the scene's bid. Posts two AIM screennames, both of which turn out to be fake. By now the news has reached Sega.com, among others
    5. 'Ratman' joins S2B, claims he's part of a conspiracy as a pawn at TheRedEye's command to discredit the Sonic scene's bid, is shat upon.
    6. Final bid of scene is $2365 including ratman's bid - however, ratman disappears. 'Mr. X', the 'anonymous collector' who is also wanting the disc wins the unofficial auction.

Final note: Because of one anonymous coward, S2B is looking bad. We must seize this opportunity to prove that we are the BEST. We must prove that we are not either mindless 4chan-loving, forum-invading Pachukites, nor are we fanfic-writing troglodites. We are the scene, we must get all we can. One video proves nothing, we need it ALL.

[/soapbox]

9. Lightning

Lightning

indeed Tech Member
    It's pretty damn stupid if he won't. =\

I'm sure most of you have seen copies of some sort of famous artwork (by Da Vinci, Van Gogh, whatever). Have the paintings themselves lost any worth or become any less of a collector's item? Were he to make a binary image of this disc for us, we'd have nothing more than the data that was on it. The collector would still have the original copy, the one that came from Sega and everything. He'll have paid about 2,500 dollars for a disc, but what's the small, incomplete demo on it worth to a collector, anyway? The data surely isn't as priceless to him as it would potentially be to all of us and our research.

*shrugs* I wonder if this guy would sell it to us.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    He should make copies and sell them for like, $200 each. There is no reason not to.

11. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I'm pretty sure he'd get shut down quick though. Remember, he's making illegal copies for a profit if he does that.

12. Kles

Kles

Software collectors don't think like the art collectors do. That's rather sad.

13. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Are you really comparing a Da Vinci to a generic CD-R? You can't make an exact copy of a painting, you can't recreate all the intricate brush strokes and subtle bumps. Mega CD-Rs were mass-produced and worthless, the only thing making this disc valuable is that the data on it is one-of-a-kind.

I've been a part of this argument for at least five years, kid, and there's no denying the truth. Releasing the image of a game on the internet makes the original practically worthless on a collectors' market.

14. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    My, who's a selfish bastard then.

15. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    haha, was that directed at me?

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    He would still get the bragging rights of having the original. For example, Knuckles' Chaotix is widely distributed on the internet. However, since the 32x was so ill-fated, not many copies were made\sold. It's a rare game, so you can be like, "Hah, I have the CART bitch! U LOZE", rather than "I have the ROM. :P".

It's all in the mind of the collector, really.

17. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Well, personally I'd pay to have the "real Beta" even if a copy was out there, simply because it's the real thing... The sense that this is the actual disk- the closest to an actual game that exists... This is of course assuming I have money, which I do not. (Due to the fact that I am a student, and that my parents won't let me work...)

However, I can't force other people to agree with me, so I'll just say it'd be nice if we could have got a Sonic Xtreme beta, but I guess we won't...

18. JDAdams

JDAdams

I should point out that the only reason we were paying that kind of money was to get our hands on the software, wasn't it? I know since we were all chipping in I didn't expect to physically own the disc myself, just the code on it. If the code was freely available, would the rest of you have been willing to put so much cash in?

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Indeed.

20. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    It's not really a problem of cash I think. Here, we are making researches about the Sonic History. Sonic X-Treme is one of the greatest mystery about Sonic so far, this with at least Sonic 2 Beta. Seeing that this copy is now gone for anybody else than the Sonic Community is like to have lost the greatest hidden archeological secret in a lost pyramid. Some collectors want to buy items because they are rare, some others however don't think only about money and want to make the discovery of the unknown past, only for the whole knowledge of Humanity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.