don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest 2010

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Such confidence! Especially since, after much re-learning forgetting things to get a disassembly set up to the point where I can just scribble tiles in GHZ, I'm working on zone art.

No promises this time... ;)

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    like last year, BroTro will NOT be ready for the contest.

Now this new set-up with the contest I find interesting yet I'm a little confused, Although that's probably me being me and most likely misreading something.

Good luck to the rest of you, I await the results =P

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I'm unsure if I'll be entering anything myself (apart from a resubmission of Sonic and Friends). I'm starting work on a new hack in order to learn more from the Sonic engine and various other things and if I don't, hopefully Boom'll be entered again. :)

4. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    If it was written in x86 assembly, I'd probably take it. The contest is mainly for game systems, although I'm taking Sonic Adventure DX for PC hacks. A brand new game for the Megadrive made from scratch will be accepted, as will anything written in assembly (including x86). PC games can be slightly easier to write in C++ since it's obviously a higher level language than asm, and if I accepted those, I'd have to start accepting fangames. This defeats the purpose of the contest and would be redundant (SAGE, although a showcasing / expo and not a contest, is still a competition).

Let me know if this is okay, and I'll add it to the rules. I'm kinda iffy on having any PC hacks besides actual hacks of existing games.

Sounds good to me. That puts Scarred Sun, Tweaker, and myself as judges.

Damn.. your hack is extremely well done. I'd hope to see it in the contest sometime in the future =\ The set-up is quite simple. By splitting between group and solo efforts, it allows for fairer judging. This two are further broken down into the sub-categories of Tech, Special Stage, and 3D hack. A 3D hack cannot be graded the same way as a 2D hack -- something Dude has helped me out with. Special Stage hacks have nothing else modified and are in a league of their own. Tech hacks / proof-of-concepts are something I enjoy seeing, but often enough they get overlooked as it's just one technical feat. This has been an issue since the first contest with Saxman's Timezones and SRILE hacks. It's mostly a way of being more fair. We'll see how it works out this year, and if it's too complicated / doesn't work out, I won't include it next year.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    The last contest was my first one. It was incredibly exciting. And now I see the 8th contest with a revamped system? Just =D

I will defintly enter, but (like probably everybody) at the last day. I'm, however, not sure which trophy I should aim for. And besides that, I have a few questions to some of them:

Maybe some of you will facepalm me because I can't get it myself, but I kinda suck at understanding 3 word descriptions.

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    That makes sense. And just to clarify, it doesn't affect me at all, as I'm not making a PC game nor am coding from scratch. :P I just wanted to know where you drew the line.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Needs more Sonic & Knuckles Collection.
    With MainMemory's editors and my music converter, I'm sure someone will try something.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That might be me, if only because I can.
    I will definitely be putting NSSS2 in, even if I haven't touched it since the last build.
    And maybe something SADX. And if I can figure it out, maybe Sonic R.

I should've submitted my hack for the last contest...

9. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    I have no problems going into a longer explanation, Selbi =)

Green Hill Trophy – this goes to the level or game that plays most like a Sonic level or game [What?]

Some Sonic hacks have their own "feel" to level design. The hack that has a level design that feels true to the classic Sonic games (Sonic 1, CD, 2 or 3K) would be a possible winner for this trophy. A great example of this would be Rika Chou's Sonic 2: Advanced Edit.

Windy Valley Trophy – best original art hack [A hack without new art?]

This would be level art with completely new art and not reused from any other sonic game

Toxic Caves Trophy - best reused art hack [A hack with redrawn art (e.g. a metallic Buzz Bomber)?]

this applies to level art and means art that is reused from another Sonic game (ala HPZ's background art in Toxic Caves from Sonic Spinball)

Shadow Trophy – best Hentai-based / pr0n hack [No limits? =P]

as long as it's not illegal (ie pedophilia). Other than that, go for it.

Vector Trophy - most humourous hack [A hack supposed to make you lol, no matter how?]

yes. Like Gerbilsoft's entry last year. That's the reason I added it.

Eosian Sphere Trophy - best new object [Only Complete new objects or hard modifyed objects as well?]

I hate to answer a question with a question, but what's a hard modified object? At this point in hacking, it can simply behave like another coded object and have new art.

Fang Trophy - best new enemy [Same as Eosian Sphere Trophy, complete new or also hard modifyed?]

same goes here.

Eureka! Trophy - most innovative game play feature

Examples would be the puzzle type design in Blue Ball and Blocks, save feature in megamix, etc. Aspects of gameplay itself that are clever or add to the experience.

Rick Roll Trophy - Sonic hack with stolen content (fix'd)

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Thanks for answering my questions so far :)

I mean like, you have an enemy, saying the motobug. He does a shit. But you code on him, again and again and again until it's like a damn new object which still has the same art and still uses the same object ID (which means it just has been modifyed, not added). I'm asking if that is allowed as well. Understand now?

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    One question, say for example If I were to enter what I have now, would I be able to enter an updated version later on before the contest is over?

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I was able to do it in the last contest, so (provided the rules haven't been changed) you still should be able to do it.

13. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    I bloody well hope so Markey, else I just screwed Lunacy's chances~ ;P

But I think we're allowed to update all the way until Ayla's hacking team have played each hack once. Or something like that.

14. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    If there's enough change on the object, it's possible.

^This. You can send updates in until I've played through each game once, which is generally about a month or two after the end of the contest. Hopefully a month this time so I can get it done during summer holiday.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If you want another judge, I'd be willing to give it a go this year. I haven't entered in a few years, and with my uni course I doubt I could get S1EE ready for the 2010 contest, so yeah. :P

I can help out with things like some web design too.

16. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    That would be awesome to have you on as a judge. I'll probably put Shadowfire on as well, which would mean I have enough judges for this contest =) Thanks to everyone that offered to help with that!! I still have need for someone decent at photoshopping for trophies, but achievement system seems to have that done just fine. I also need help with the webpage and anything else anyone can think of. It's good to finally get so many people interested in helping!!

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    I was just playing with something last night, and decided to share:
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think?

18. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Maybe there should be an 8 somewhere to show this is the 8th contest.

19. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Maybe, but if the name of it is going to be done by year from now on anyway then it's not exactly needed. Anyways, I highly doubt if Sawnik or anything will be in a good position by then, but we'll see. May work on Ninja and enter that for the hell of it, but I doubt it'd be in a very presentable position XD

20. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Entering this, with DWEA (if I don't suddenly become lazy again and take another six-month break).

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.