don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog Bible

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Nemesis, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just read through all of that. So cool and interesting. I'm loving the sonic info on this site. So this was the American SEGA's perspective on the whole sonic story yeah? Was there a Japanese equivalent of the sonic bible? I was hoping for some pictures in the pdf too, but oh well.

2. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Fantastic. Thank you.

Earliest known references to Mobius and Sally Acorn, ftw

The 2nd draft is very similar and almost identical in places to the Stay Sonic guide published in the UK. It was obviously based directly off the bible.

Shadow Hog - The second draft references "Mobius" on more than one occasion as well.

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    After this and that Gametap video, my mind is blown. I think I need to sleep.

4. Only read a bit. Absolute shit.

It's a shame that nobody was even vaguely interested in maintaing the integrity of the original vision and style of the series. It's no wonder the entire franchise has been mercilessly run into the ground and destroyed. They were destroying it from day one, really.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
  6. I watched it earlier today, actually. It was vaguely interesting at times but mostly stupid and filled with stuff that didn't seem entirely accurate. The bit with the dumb bitch gloating about how she worked to "soften" Sonic for western audiences was pretty annoying.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That bit pissed me off too. Goddamn I hate Ass-Face Sonic, why did they think that looked good? =/

8. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I think the second draft is actually close to what the final one was, Nemesis. The first one seems like a really old draft, whereas the last one fits more in tune with the story in the Sonic 1 manual/European Sonic comics.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
  10. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Well, I have read the Dean Sitton topic entirely and I must say that it's quite interesting.
    It contained a too big amount of asskissing, though.
    Because if you think about it, if Dean had really wanted to give those things, he would have scanned them himself in hi-res and gave us them.
    Instead, he put them on eBay, where everyone could have bid, and we could have lost the material entirely.
    I think he just used us. And the broken soda-popped keyboard, it's pretty ridiculous if you think about it.
    I thank Nemesis for buying it, anyway, regardless of that, because if that was the only way to get that stuff, be it.
    You can't ignore the fact that he somehow used us, he was "just testing the waters", after all!

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, from what I understand, the whole eBay thing originally was to show that the broken keyboard was real, then he added some stuff, it worked, then he did it a second time with new material. So...

PS: MSN told me to check an e-mail and in the way it made Opera go forward, WTF O_O

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Yea, to be honest I didn't like this either. I can really get a better sense how different Sonic was viewed regionally now because of things like this though. While I don't think that cluttering up the origin of a character is initially what "killed" the franchise, it definitely provided quite a lot of muck between SoA and SoJ. Even though I like ass face Sonic because I grew up with him, it does seem awfully unfair what they did to the franchise just so it would help appeal to everyone. When you think about it, they lost a lot of potential growth the franchise could have had if they gave everyone the same vision the franchise was intended for. It would have saved us all the grief of the millions of splits in the fan base itself!

Basically, it seems to me that no matter how many "reboots" SEGA does to salvage the franchise, there is always going to be some imperfections people view in it because of how much people's views differentiate. Some people see Sonic as a simple platformer about speed and level progression, while others view it for the characters and hoping to get a "SatAM" feel from the games. It goes on and on.

That doesn't mean gimmicks and ridiculous over dramatic "epic" plots are the best solution either though, however. :words:

I think what Unleashed offered was a good step in the right direction because it was what SEGA wanted to do. It was keeping the things people liked about Sonic, and adding in some new things as well. It had it's imperfections but it was overall a smart decision. The cartoony atmosphere, the worlds twisting into stages for Sonic to run along, and yes, ridiculous elements like the Werehog. Hopefully that's the last gimmick we see in hopes to "lengthen" the games, but I doubt it. I hope to see them continue this formula and "vision" in future Sonic games, maybe then the franchise will get the salvation it's been looking for this whole time.

13. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    So...? It's still using us, but with a smart tactic.
    He just did that to make people not notice that.

I mean, if he really wanted to give us those things, he would have given us them since the beginning, don't you think?

Anyway, OSM, SEGA like with every video game company, puts profits first, then other things.
    Nothing can be liked by everyone in this world, but they strive to make it likable to around a 70% of that "everyone".
    You wouldn't believe me, but if they did classic Sonic, like for example Sonic 1 and CD, many less people would buy it, and
    it will likely be derided for its backwards graphics.
    They do market researches before ever putting something out of their door.
    Maybe a 30-35% percent will EVEN love it, but to SEGA 70% is much more wanted.
    In the long term, the former situation (30-35% but love it) would be much better than the latter (70% but only like it), but companies usually only care about short term gains, everyone minds about his own business and wants money.
    I don't really like this way of thinking (which sadly is very common), because I don't think doing something is done just to get money, and you can immediately "shoot the flag down".
    But it's how SEGA is ran and you can't do anything.

And I find it absurd that some people say that SEGA actually cared about Sonic.
    But, actually, they really did, but it was Sonic's monetary profits.
    Maybe some developers really cared about it, but I don't think higher positions did, nor do I think they had many clues about Sonic and such.
    Many of them do nothing and know nothing as well, yet get higher paychecks.

14. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm very much aware that business is business, but I'm sure even at this point in time where they are now they would handle one of their best IP's with much more care and consideration. It will only help them go the extra mile stay as a competitive developer and keep them afloat, would it not?

From what I understand and have seen, most people see bad Sonic=bad SEGA initially right off the bat.

I don't think a back to basics approach would be wise either, since they came to a pretty good "starting point" with the daytime stages in Unleashed in my opinion, I would love to see how they build upon that. I'd just like to see more platforming then running next time, but at least they got the multiple routes angle down, and the levels weren't generic in the least bit.

15. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    e bay thing#1 = selling my 2nd to last personal comic containing mention in credits + keyboard for 70.00
    to prove it was "real"... not much thought was put to the public nature outside of the retro community.

e bay thing#2 = total failure with 0 bids then an offer was made.

so what am I doing again? the information got to a) the person who wanted it and b) the retro community. anything that hits the public "from me" isnt "coming from me" as its in anothers hands at this point. this information is 20 years old and would have likely been lost to the ages. who is complaining and whats the complaint?

what else?...

also forgotten is the fact that much of the original US mythos was based on:

what the US was exposed to at the time not what was created by the artist or mascots creator.

looking at little more than a sprite on a screen assumptions were drawn. there simply wasnt much fiction at that time. there is also the issue of licensing and merchandising rights. the game rights to a character are different than the comicbook rights are different than the music rights. . . the happymeal rights. each with their own unique stories based on the original premise. the retro community and die hard fans have the luxury of knowing facts outside of the scope of average consumers, backstory, differences in regions, versions, etc...

the sonic drama is like two grandparents trying to spoil a grandchild, soa/soj each having their own idea of its personality and claiming their influence.

also,
    re: "our" SOR docs...?!

our?

also - if you didnt like how this went down..you'll really hate the next one.

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Despite the Streets of Rage material? O_O

Which reminds me, where is our SoR material? >=|

17. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Sorry, but I still don't buy your argument, Dean.
    If you really wanted to give us stuff, you would scan it, not invite us to make offers in your actions about them.
    I hope this is not another excuse I see from people to make money...

especially when there are people who release things themselves, at no cost, and make themselves a debt.
    And they get nothing when they ask for donations, while they should.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You're an idiot. He did give us stuff—the comic scans, the information, the insight, as well as other things. At the same time, Dean is absolutely entitled to do whatever the hell he wants with his property. Why the hell do you think you're entitled to it? Get your head out of your ass.

He wanted to give us stuff, and he did. Better yet, he gave interested parties an opportunity to own these collectors items. Said people—specific to this community, as intended—gladly decided to share those materials with us. Instead of being grateful to both parties, though, you decided to be grateful to neither of them. Good job!

19. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Sorry, Tweaker, but he could have just as easily scanned them then sold them. No one's EXPECTING him to just hand over anything, obviously, but having people buy it off him first (when there was also a risk of it going to an unknown third party) is just cause for concern.

Chill out.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Except it's not, for the reasons stated above.

If Dean's intention was not to contribute to this community, then he would not have done so; the fact of the matter, though, is that he did. Instead of trying to make a gigantic conspiracy out of the fact that he decided to make a fun little bid out of it on the side, maybe you should actually show a shred of appreciation. Unless that's too much to ask, anyway.

I'm not going to read any more of this malicious intent crap. That's not what this topic is about, and it's not going to be what it's about—end of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.