don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Well, that's really weird. I'm currently going back through the game and completing all the challenges, and the last time I played, I had just finished the last of City Escape's levels. I go into the game's folder to be sure that I don't have any mods installed, and I see a backup copy of the game that looks like it was made before the last time I played. A little strange since I don't remember seeing it before, but I didn't worry. I start up the game, and notice a lot of the songs I had unlocked were missing. Confused, I look around, and eventually find out that it's using the save from what looks like right after I originally beat the game. All the levels are completed, but not many of the challenges are, and I don't have as many Red Rings. The really confusing part is that I still have Endless Possibilities, which I'm sure I unlocked while doing the challenges.

What's the problem, and how do I fix it? I already cheated some of the Steam achievements by playing Unleashed Project, I'd rather not cheat any more.

2. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Hey guys... a little bit more troubleshooting. I recently (ie: Today) built myself a gaming PC with an AMD Raedon HD graphics card, Windows 8, an AMD Phenom II Processor and 8GB RAM. The game starts fine, and I can load levels- but touching springs and dash panels ends up causing the game to hang and become unresponsive (opening up the pause menu and triggering a Windows USB disconnect sound, which suggests to me it might be an issue with my wired Xbox 360 controller for PC), which means I have to force-close it. I was wondering if there's any documented solution(s?) or whether it's a very simple driver problem?

Sorry if this isn't 100% on-topic.

EDIT: Sorry, it turned out to be a problem with using a USB extension cable and the rumble function at the same time. Removing the extension cable and connecting the USB directly to the port solved all issues.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Try playing with a keyboard and see if it's the controller.

Hey!

I've bought Sonic Generations 3DS. Classic sonic feels a lot better than the PC version, even the springs are solid and there's no 'one button spindash' from the PC version.

Time Eater 1000000x better, someone should look into recreating that!

I have to say the game got a lot better when I started to use the D-Pad instead of the Circle Pad, same for Lost World. I even bought a hand grip just to use the D-Pad better because of that.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, Generations 3DS got kind of a raw deal. I don't think it's nearly as bad as most people, though it's still nowhere near what it could've been. It's obviously a rushed product. A lot of foolish or time-saving decisions seem to have went into it. And yet, I still have fun with it, at least on most levels. I don't know how to explain that exactly.

But Time Eater is most CERTAINLY a huge improvement!

5. It's definitely more sparse than the HD version. I don't even mind the Rush-style gameplay (although when Classic Sonic gets the homing attack it kind of makes him feel a bit redundant) but man some of those levels are just bare-looking.

I know this is a mod but this video got me thinking:

Were Sonic Team originally planning on porting the original Crisis City level at one stage, or utilizing more elements from it? A lot of the stuff in this video is pretty much spot-on as to how it was in the original, like with the tornado chasing Sonic, the Mach Speed sections (minus the ability to use the boost to break through enemies/boxes) etc. What do you guys think?

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Who wants to see some 60fps footage of the 3DS version?

Thanks to Melpontro for uploading 720p videos using his capture device on the 3DS!

(Motion-interpolated in Adobe After Effects so it looks like crap compared to real 60fps footage but is still a lot smoother than 30fps footage)

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No data received on that link. Again, try?

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Mediafire went down, it was having problems today. I'll host it on my dropbox for now.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The biggest reason for something like Sonic to run at 60fps isn't so it'll look good, but to give the player a greater chance to react and reduce the time between a button press and its effect on screen. Converting the footage after the fact, though it looks kinda cool, really doesn't serve this purpose at all.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Of course editing some footage wouldn't make the game better or anything because the purpose is to create an 'what if' feeling. Games are only games when we can PLAY them.

And no, people say that but that doesn't make sense to me. While 60fps has twice the chances for inputs by the user, the human brain reacts slower than that, you can see by watching this video at 0,5 speed, Melpontro takes time to boost or to use the homing attack even though it looks 'fine' on the original footage. There's an entire subject on the matter called mental chronometry.

The main advantage of 60fps is how you actually perceive your surroundings better and you can estimate the jumps better, the jitter makes it harder because there is less 'movement'. The argument of 'no time to react' on 30fps is flawed as the multiplayer is 15fps and the worst part is not the input but how you can't jump precisely where you want because you can't actually know WHEN to jump to reach the point you want. Anyway, as I said, even if I agreed with you, editing footage doesn't help because we can't interact with it :P

Anyway here's the dropbox link :P (please click on 'download' because the player only displays 30fps)

EDIT: Mediafire started working again!

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/403829691439542272
    https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/403830000438083584

Oculus Rift support incoming.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Jesus christ, and I play with this mod sometimes for kicks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4UJc323ms

If I play this with Oculus Rift I'll suffer somekind of whiplash-seizure or something. :v:

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    put together my new PC last night and decided to try out Sonic Gens to see if those pesky problem areas in CPZ were gone. Indeed they are now gone, I get a solid, never-dipping 60 FPS even underwater.

EDIT: Also tried playing Sonic Gens on my phone, and while the step down from 60 fps to 30 fps was jarring, it was completely playable.

14. Sploit

Sploit

Sonic Generations on your phone? How?

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    set up a wifi direct connection to my host PC as an 802.11ac dual wireless ad hoc network, then used Kainy to push the display to my phone, I'm getting sub-1 frame latency atm. I had been using a Moga Pro Power before, but Sonic Gens made me realize that communicating through the network to the host PC induces an additional frame of input lag, so I switched to using a PS3 controller directly connected to the host PC via bluetooth. Just grabbed a GameKlip online to hold my phone on my DS3.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-jghWKo6ZM

Mel showed off the collection room in its entirety in the 3DS version.

17. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    It was deleted :(

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    No its not, its a rare bug that invalidates youtube URLs if a hyphen is in the url, its random and the only way to fix it is by reuploading.

Anyways heres a link to his uploads, just look for it there.

19. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, just recently I got a laptop that's actually able to run the game very well. I'm 99% positive it's in 60 FPS, but I was wondering if there was some way to tell in game if that's what it was running at. Sometimes it chugs, but it's so smooth I think it is 60 FPS, but I just want to be sure.

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The game doesn't have such a feature that I'm aware of, but you can run FRAPS to get a framerate overlay. If you aren't planning on recording and just want the FPS, the free version should do fine.