don't click here

Sonic Adventure DX (Preview) Discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Sazpaimon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    That makes enough sense. Sorry about the mix-up, though, I guess I thought you said "(de)activate doors" or something. My bad.

Whenever I'm logging information that's too much to carry around in my head all at once, I usually just use Notepad =P

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Here's something else I don't think anyone mentioned yet. There's another difference with Station Square (area where the Twinkle Park elevator is), which is something that has to do with geometry. In the final DX version, there is a "KDR Records" building (a few feet away from the news stand). In the Dreamcast final version, there is no KDR building. In this build, there is a KDR Records building (I think the logo/sign is there anyway) but where the door is there are 2 newly added poles on the side of the door. If you walk into any of them, or even just close to them, you'll get stuck inside these poles. Note, these poles aren't in the final in ANY version of this game in general (I think anyway, I heard that the original Japanese Dreamcast release had texture changes here and there - so it might be in there).

I know this might be small, but I wonder if they were planning anything with that KDR Records building.

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So I just spent the last hour reading this thread. Wow. This is fucking amazing.

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    First of all, Hi.
    I come from a spanish sonic forum, called Sonic Reikai(if you can speak or read spanish and want to go there, the url is www.soniconthenet.org/reikai . no spam intended). One of our members,whose name is DaGuAr, has been able to rip Golah model from this prototype. I come in his name to present it here, for all your prototype dragon boss pleasure.
    Here is a photo of the model:
    [​IMG]

here is a comparison between golah size and egg carrier size ( best view with white background)
    [​IMG]

you can download it here

Sorry for my crappy english, and sorry if this has been already acomplished by someone else, we're not up to date with prototype discoveries.

5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Well now that's some neat stuff. Where does the name Golah come from, anyway? I don't recall the dragon had a (known) name at all, but maybe it's just me.

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    That's because Gola isn't the name of the dragon. :facepalm:

Gola was the fire Unidus enemy from Sonic 2's Hill Top, which returned in Sonic Adventure's Red Mountain/Lost World/etc. People always seem to make the wrong assumption because of that Tikal sound byte where she says "when Gola breathes out fire, that's your chance to attack" or something similar. Have we even seen the Sky Chase dragon breathe fire?

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

Wow it's nice you were able to rip the model of the dragon. I guess I didn't know about the mistake in the name of the dragon too.

8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    <!--quoteo(post=184496:date=Mar 19 2008, 07:52 AM:name=Neo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neo @ Mar 19 2008, 07:52 AM) [​IMG] ?

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    You mean nobody remembers that Tikal Message that the CulT found? It's something like "when Golah blahblahblah, It's your chance to attack."

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It was mentioned earlier in this topic. Still, the message could apply to both situations—so it's hard to make an absolute association either way.

...then again, is that variation of the Orbinaut really called Golah? I don't remember reading that anywhere.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Sonic Jam says it is.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think they are talking about the purple dinosaur badnik that breathes fire, not the Orbinaut badnik (Sol/Golah).

Edit: Nevermind... I should read before posting.

13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    That's awsome! From what I can read from DaGuAr's Spanish he used something called 3DRipperDX, which is a cool little DirectX model ripper. I guess what he did was load Dolphin with this, then loaded the game and got the Boss to display, then "Captured". :P

The only thing though is, either it's a x64 limitation or it's the program itself, I can't load the program with it. However, if I ever did get this to load we could see a couple unused models. This could even help me get a Station Square capture so I can compare final w/ prototype. But maybe Saz can help once again? :(

Speaking of the Dragon, it must've been removed very late in development (nice animation, and the things it does so far doesn't crash the game). Earlier today I was changing flags/events to see if there might be a cutscene to get it to load properly. But either that cutscene isn't there anymore, or it's present only in Sky Chase Act 2, I wasn't able to activate it. It should also work with Act 1, but I only saw it in motion on that TGS video. Now that I think about that video, the dragon only moved foward just like it does now. If you want to watch what I'm talking about, look at the "Lost SA Dragon" video on CulT.

EDIT: I have a useless ASCII text rip of the entire GCM. Do any of the debug screens found so far say "Sonic Adventure 1 for GAMECUBE"? If anyone wants to look at it, here it is.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    <!--quoteo(post=184560:date=Mar 20 2008, 08:37 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Mar 20 2008, 08:37 PM) [​IMG]</a>

Lower-right corner.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ah, for a second I thought that model format had been cracked, which would have been quite an interesting note, seeing as it's yet to have been done to my knowledge. =P

Neat stuff though, considering how damn elusive it's been over the last 10 years.

16. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I tried it awhile back, I had no luck, but I had some success with the 32 bit Dolphin, however that version is a piece of crap and I gave up. Kudos to those guys for putting up with it,

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I have read over Sonic CulT in its entirety at least 10 times, and I have never seen that video before. It's got to be the most interesting prototype footage I've seen in years! I'd seen the pictures of that beta Windy Valley stage, but it never really gave me a good feeling of the level like that video just did.

Did anyone notice how slow it went? Was that bad editing, or was the game really that slow at one point?

18. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
  19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Actually, Sonic Adventure all together seems slow in that video. I don't think it's because of the video either, I think it really did run like that at one point in time.

20. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I actually meant the 32 bit version of Dolphin.

SA1 on Dreamcast has a 30fps rate, so if you're used to SADX, SA1 will seem a lot slower.