don't click here

Sonic 1 Harder Levels

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Eduardo Knuckles, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Art is lovely, keep going!

2. ..Beautiful...simply beautiful! Title screen is awesome.

The Marble Zone's bricks shouldn't look so bright though. Hard to tell ground from background , yes?

3. Master3k

Master3k

These images look awesome, keep it up :)!

Nice knuckles btw

4. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Well, this is Green Hill Act 4. The background art is 100% complete. Thanks for Tornado for this art. As you can notice, the Crabmeat enemy works differently from the original one. Be careful on the ground after he shoot his projectiles.

The brightness and among other colors were fixed for something like the in-game Sonic. Screenshots soon.

I don't understand what do you mean with this. Can you detail it for me, please?

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Awesome title screen! Also for Marble zone, if you flip the blocks upside down It'll look much better imo. Waiting for a video to show the current songs! =P.

6. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Release:
    The last version that will use this source code. <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/images/9/9f/Sonic_1_Harder_Levels_(v0.0.0)_-_Super_Instable_ROM_-_Unfinished_Work.zip" target="_blank">Click here for download</a>.
    The name says "Version 0.0.0" because the project will be restarted at the next version. I'm really sorry, and, thanks for all who helped with this during these years.

Well, new source code, new concepts, complete rewrite and all. Please DO NOT get surprised on what you all will see on the next version of the hack. Also, after this break I got, I practiced a lot too... Now this is time for start a new really nice work. Thanks, folks!

7. Master3k

Master3k

Restart, eh?

Good luck! I hope S1HL comes better than ever in the next, new version :)

EDIT:And as I told you yesterday, any help you need, don't hesitate in asking me

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I loved every part of the hack except for the layouts, which made me audibly rage more than many hacks have managed to do before. I think if you got a proper layout designer on board that this hack could be among the most innovative and enjoyable out there. Not bad for a work in progress release, though! I absolutely loved the music choices, and I loved even more how the level would change colors throughout the day as you progressed through the level. I also noticed that every time you die it plays a different song for an individual act—nice touch!

I'd have a lot more to say about this if I could play it properly, but I was way too frustrated with the levels. You have a real piece of work on your hands, though. :)

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    dude you GOT to fix those level layouts...I about screamed

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!

Filthy casuals...

11. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Those layouts are really complicated, there are traps everywhere (I played only the first half of ghz) and I died every time. The palette transtition beetween times of day really makes it a nice touch!
    When I went into the options menu and looked at the soundtrack option, I actually haven't thought that soundtracks would change randomally, but just a few random songs you picked for use. As for tails: He needs height and palette fixing but that's just minor.

12. I've not checked to see if someone has pointed this out. (KEGA)

in v0.0.0.0 options menu, if you scroll through all game modes, the yellow text moves down to GAME SOUNDTRACK but the red border stays around the GAME MODE and lets you select game mode (hitting left or right again resets it back)

Graphics glitch at the "Eduardo Knuckles" screen after either game over, or leaving the options menu.

I occasionally get ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION*00000002 but only after being in the options menu and starting the game

Occasionally it takes me to the options menu despite having the yellow cursor on the start game button.

When I get in game, there's a graphics glitch when I get in the tunnel.

I occasionally get stuck between the grass and the wall (jumping out fixes it) when I jump up on to a ledge.

Excellent game though...

13. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    :D You remixed Quartz Quadrant Good Future?! <33 I love it, this hack is amazing. I haven't got far at all in gameplay though, at least not yet.

14. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Decided to sink some time into this, up to the end of GHZ3, died twice, both in act 4. The first time was from a ridiculously long bottomless pit, the second was at the start of the boss fight when the screen starts to scroll upwards.

Quite fun to play, I agree with most other positives mentioned.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    My thoughts exactly. The game is called Sonic: Harder Levels. Therefore, the levels are supposed to be hard, no? And I find them to be fun, honestly.

And to all the people reporting bugs, he's starting from scratch for the next version (or at least, that's what I'm getting out of it).

Anyway, great job on the hack, and I'm looking forward to what's in store in the future. =)

16. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Regarding stages, I find them enjoyable, just enough of challenge while not being frustrating :)

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I played through to GHZ act 3, and got lost. I had no idea where to go. The previous two acts were extremely good and I thouroughly enjoyed them, but some traps and obstacles (like in GHZ2, trying to land on a platform you can't even see while going at high speed) need savestates and patience, and some are just unfair rather than harder.

I absolutly loved the neat touches, like the palette changing within the level and the music changing when you die. I also loved some of the changes to the badniks, like the Newtron moving faster.

I'l have to play it again later, due to being slightly hungover, but I enjoyed what I played so far :)

18. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    This is probably the only hack I can say I've honestly and truely enjoyed over the past 3 or 4 years. The idea is simple and well done. Harder levels? Check. It's not filled to the brim with pointless and frivolous features, options, etc. It's simple and gets the job done. And for once, Green Hill has been changed!

Some of the absolutely unfair traps I ran into remind me of my early childhood, bringing back memories of spending months at a time practicing certain levels just to get past them like Battletoads, Snake Rattle and Roll and Double Dragon. Or those utterly evil moments in the Megaman series. Feels great to relive that again in something modern.

19. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Since I've done some work on it too, I saw the source code. And DUDE, that was... indescribable. There was alot of half-finished stuff. But well, even though the code looks horrible, it's a good thing that it's still well playable.
    But besides that, the code isn't the intention of this game, but the layouts, and like the oher people here said, they are just amazing! I must admit that I don't think they are very hard, but that's probably because I got used to savestates so much, that I even use them without thinking.
    But well, hope your restart will help making this game even more interesting and less unfinished. =)

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I couldn't even make it pass Green Hill Zone without getting a game over. D: Sir, you have done well.