don't click here

Sonic 1 Harder Levels

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Eduardo Knuckles, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Ehhhrr... It's not grabbed-out from any hack, okay?
    I did this ports by myself fixing someones converting to XM and adding the missing notes (in some ones) using this method: SMPS2XM is the key to fix music.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Finally, someone ports Angel Island Act 1.

Pretty good job. It's a shame that it's the final release for there are just a couple lose ends left (sprites and some bugs), but the over all experience is great. Nicely done.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

I get a huge code wall. Probably I can't download it this way. Is it possible for you to just upload the rom to some uploading site?

EDIT: Never-mind. Firefox worked.

By the way, is debug supposed to be automatically enabled?

4. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Then, I Rapidshared the ROM.

Yes, I've chosen to keep debug mode active forever in the game while the romhack was in development phase.

5. corneliab

corneliab

The art and music choices/implementation in this are just fantastic.

However, there's some real iffyness in the stages. I loved the first stage to bits, but afterwards, I started experiencing problems in the form of the screen either inexpicably scrolling upwards or refusing to scroll down, leading to deaths. I also find it strange that Sonic won't die to anything except bottomless pits.

It's a real shame that work on this hack is stopping, since given more polish, it could have definitley been one of the best ever. Oh, well.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    WOW, I haven't played that hack for 2 months and it is totally different. Even the small details are excelent, that ring sound could have been used for all Sonic games since it is perfect. The music ports desire a 9 of 10. The Marble Zone Act 2 art is the best I have ever seen so far, and I noticed your are using 3PSG + Noise, that took some work =P. And the XM you created for porting fit very well with the zones... Ok, this entered to my TOP 3 hacks.

7. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Easy to explain. The ''upside/downside screen'' takes it because I've changed the deform to the Act 4 to load properly the boss in it, then the Act 3 from the major levels has the act 2 resize to closes properly the end of level and loads correctly the signpost art. Just it.

8. First I like to say this is a great hack and I see why its harder levels. I still say their is too many pits that will catch any player off-guard during their first second and third try. I love the music and design of the hack like Master Emerald said, even the small details are excellent. I like that Sonic your're using, I just wish my favorite character tails would have been in so I could have a true enjoyment of the game.

9. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Wow, I love the XM ports you did, I love Palmtree Panic Past (I think), port you did, is almost identical to the Sonic CD version, also the level design is insane.

10. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    All I have to say is Wow! This is one of the best hack I've ever seen :)! It's a shame that this project was discontinued :).

11. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Press C on the Title Screen to enable the "Spike" bug. If enabled, it activates the spike bug for all objects, including projectiles from enemies, the lava and enemy touching. Use B to disable it for all objects turning the game as you see in v0.5.

12. This hack is definitely one of the hardest I have attempted.

But its so well put together..Its amazing.

Great work!

13. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    I actually thought that Sonic 3 & Knuckles Master Edition was harder... But I still love this game!

14. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I am really disappointed that this hack has been cancelled.

This is one of my favorite hacks, it feels just like a classic Sonic game, and the new Sound effects are fantastic, and the level designs are quite difficult, but never cheap, and the art is excellent.

Good job with it though.

15. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Well, good news.

His MSN name says he is working on this again

16. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    First of all, I will talk a important thing.
    I was about to start another job, and I went thinking if was worthwhile to stop the project because of problems with partners, the staff of the project... Yes, the hack was in development by a group of people, hidden in a team of which I titled as "Harder Society". I will not mention the names involved in this problem because it isn't the case, and I don't want to create any expectancy or controversy about this. But yeah, I was with this fact in my mind during all these days, until some friends asked me if I was sure I was doing the correct thing. I started to ask for the opinions of these friends, and one in particular made me agree that the crap I was doing: Cancel a great, long, beautiful, and appreciated work because of a simple emotional pression from me.

But...
    I chose the best way, so I followed the recommendation of all the friends of community that talked about to me on MSN, then I decided to return to the activities in the project and in undo the cancellation of it.
    I reshape the team. Currently involved in the project are: I (obviously), SonicVaan, Cass10 (SSTH), CarrascoZX0 and Irixion.

Again, I thank you all for considering and cooperating for the hack grow more every day.
    Yeah. Is just it. I'm ready to reply any questions at this respect.

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    That's great news!

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, keep it up because this is one of my favorite hacks :D

19. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    (copypasta from Sonic Research)
    UPDATE!! Some new stuff I made this month.

[​IMG]
    I disabled the background using the emulator. My purpose on this is show the Title Screen foreground. How nice it is?

[​IMG]
    Tails finally added to the gameplay. Tails swims and fly like in Sonic 3.

[​IMG]
    A desert-ish Marble Zone. This is the third development of this level. So, the graphical design is unfinished yet.

[​IMG]
    Knuckles on a GHZ wall. Working at least 80% perfectly. He play his sounds in his actions and all.

Total credits for Tornado by the characters.

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I really like the new title screen art, and I like what you did to the GHZ art on the picture with Tails.