don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Only if you consider combining Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles together "too high" :v:

2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Colin, can I just be the first one to say: hack of the year!!

Fantastic work there pal!

3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    OHH...SHINY STUFF.

---

Totally one of my favourites hacks...EVER! Playing Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 in a seamless version like 3K was...first of all, a challenge. And second, a great experience!

It was fun to try tails in the special stages too :3

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I have a question... did you do anything to the jump physics? Because for some reason I can't speedrun GHZ1 the same way now. Its not a big deal and this hack still rocks but I'm just wondering if I'm insane.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Holy cow, VERY impressive, how long did this take you in total because this is something many of us have been looking forward to for years. Infact, I think I'll give this a shot on hardware.

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Let me know if it works, this might just be enough for me to buy an MD Pro

7. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    Sniffing out all the Starposts in Green Hill Zone, trying to get all the S2 emeralds before leaving the zone like you can in Emerald Hill Zone, was bizzare, fresh, and somehow 'right' in my mind. There turned out to be 7 spread across all three acts, but as is to be expected from the difficulty of Special Stage 4 and onwards, it took until the end of Marble Zone to have all of them done. I'm at Spring Yard Act 1 with 4 and 7 emeralds respectively, and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Well done on what must have been a months-in-the-making compilation hack.

Only two glitches were apparent on my playthrough: Tails hitting the ground cancels out Sonic's multiplier for breakables (becomes very apparent when going through the vertical breakable blocks sections of Marble Zone; no idea if this glitch occurred in Sonic 2/3/K), and a bizzare AI loop which happened at the end of Marble Zone Act 1 when I managed to make Tails touch the Giant Ring instead of Sonic (speed + uneven terrain + small hop past signpost caused AI Tails to make a much higher jump than Sonic). As was supposed to happen, Sonic got enveloped by the teleport effect and vanished (despite being stood on the ground) and Tails wandered off to the right, as you say you programmed him to. Then Tails appeared very suddenly at the top of the screen, in ball form, above the point where Sonic had been standing, but Tails moved to the right in midair and went offscreen again before he could touch the ground. He instantly came in from the top again, and repeated the cycle as many times as the time restriction of the Results Screen would allow. I was inside the Special Stage before I remembered the emulator had Rewind and Save State hotkeys, so unfortunately I only caught the last 'loop' and won't make a video of the effect unless I can replicate it.

8. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I didn't do anything to the jump physics, but there are differences in the two game engines so I imagine that's what's causing it. Nah, just kidding, you're insane.

The first backup I took is dated January 4th, so I guess that's about eight months.

Nope, I'm afraid Namo beat you to that on the first page. :eng101:

The score multiplier one sounds suspiciously like an existing Sonic 2 bug. As for Tails activating the giant ring, I'm pretty sure I tested that, but I've just tried it and it's pretty clear that I didn't! In fact, if Sonic hasn't passed the signpost, the game gets stuck at that point until time runs out or you exit to the menu. Another bug for revision 1 - thanks for pointing it out.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    OK, I gave it a go on hardware, and it was all functioning fine right up until...

[​IMG]

...there, where it would freeze leaving only the sound driver still playing. I checked it on most emulators such as "Regen", but it doesn't seem to freeze on any of them, just hardware.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Bugs I've noticed:

-If you finish a level with the speed shoes (ie. Green Hill 2), any music being played before reaching the next Zone will sound faster than usual.

-There's a very steep slope in Spring Yard 2 that Sonic can get through, probably due to some differences in the Sonic 2 physics.

-The "Continue get" sound in the score tally cancels the "entering Sonic 1 Special Stage" sound.

Also, the sound effects stopped playing for a few seconds one time, and I got some garbled graphics in the Sonic 2 Special Stage score tally once, but I'm not sure what could happen there.

This is not a bug, but I think that changing the "and" for a "&" would look a little better in the logos, while referencing the "& Knuckles" at the same time.

Awesome work, by the way.

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I believe this is in the original Sonic 2. Still worth fixing, though.

I echo the sentiments of everyone here, this hack is amazing fun. (I will never get all the emeralds, though, since I suck at the Sonic 1 special stages, and the later Sonic 2 ones)

12. Um...the download link is broken for me...

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I put it on the wiki: Sonic 1 and 2

You can just get it from there. The zip file is even smaller since I optimised it :3

14. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I've redirected the download link on the first page to the wiki version. SkyDrive must have some kind of daily download limit, because it keeps doing this. I'll find another place to host it next time.

15. Downloaded and playing...

This hack is AWESOME.

4 S1 Emeralds, 2 S2 Emeralds in Spring Yard.

I'll be mighty proud if I can beat this 100% :)

EDIT: Some minor issues:

- The Special Stage results screen was slightly graphic glitchy after getting my 1st S2 Emerald., It hasn't glitched since then.

- In Spring Yard Act 3, I spun down the hill, jumped off, hit the ring box, and then hit the spiked ball. However, I was going so fast now (without the speed cap) that the box didn't activate before I died!!

- Its laggy in Labyrinth Zone with Tails in tow. Kill em off quick so the game isn't as laggy, making him drown is the easy way.

- I hit Robotnik in Labyrinth Zone three times, but on the last hit (at the top), his hit flash didn't disappear, and the flash was stuck on everything!

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Amazing job, you've outdone yourself once again. =P If this doesn't get a decent number of trophies at the hacking contest the voting is rigged.

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Wonderful concept! I've never legitimately beaten Sonic 1 or 2, so this really motivates me to dig out my PSP.

Thanks!

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    That's happened to me many times on normal Sonic 1. :)

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I was finally giving this a full playthrough, and yes I encountered some of the aforementioned bugs, such as the garbled graphics on the special stage result screen, which happened once, and only once, though I forgot the zone, I think I was in Marble Zone, and it wasn't my first emerald, it was the yellow Sonic 2 emerald and I had 3 or 4 Sonic 1 emeralds so yeah it was either Marble 2 or Marble 3.

Sometimes the points that pop out from badniks and breakable objects have messed up mappings.

It is possible to enter the wall in Labyrinth 3 and get stuck in a place from where you can't escape. I had to wait a Time Over (I actually wrote 9:50.00 in RAM with a PAR code to save time, but still).

But all of those are really minor bugs, the experience was perfectly enjoyable and I was having lots of fun, until I beat Mystic Cave 1, and I die for unknown reasons after scrolling to the bottom of the screen. At that point I closed out of frustration.

20. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    You could have quit to the main menu by pausing and pressing A, but points for creativity! As I said earlier, I'm not sure how to go about fixing this one, but I'll see what I can do.

Sorry about that, but it's already been raised and will be fixed soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.