don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sweet! I need to get in on that. It's been a while since I started collecting Sonic merchandise.

I ask only because of all the new classic Sonic merchandise that has been released lately. As far as I know, there is the chessboard and the figurines, but there could be more. I'm hoping this line of merchandise comes to full circle.

2. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    I think Sega's got pretty well aware of the return of Retro-style Sonic as of late. I mean, they even included Genesis-sprite based Sonic art as decals for S&M Olympic Winter Games.
    But then, Nintendo's been digging up their own roots a bit more often lately as well, and it appears to be proving successful enough.

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    If you look around, everyone's trying to 'get back to their roots' these days, as that's where success stemmed from. Capcom (MM10), SEGA (Needlemouse), Nintendo (NSMBWii), Konami (Rocket Knight), whoever's remaking Toki, and several others are looking back at old school gaming. Hell, Disney's even put out a new animated feature.

It's going to be a fantastic year, I tell ya what.

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    [​IMG]
    And I agree, everything is starting to look up.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    That's actually what I was going for. Alright.

God damn, I really want a screenshot. Just one. So badly. I just want to see what kind of art style they're going for. After that, I'll happily wait for other media, but man, I want something to look at.

6. True this. Its the "in" thing to go back to what was successful back in the 90's.

I have a feeling that this is happening not just as a craze, but because of the difficult financial times we have had as of late.
    Developers want something they KNOW will produce a profit of some kind...so that they can survive this financial crisis.
    Thus why they are falling back to things that were quite profitable back in the day.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Pokémon did it.
    Mario did it- and it was a massive success.
    Tomb Raider did it- and it's really got the series going again.
    MegaMan did it- and it left pants and trousers white worldwide.

Sonic REALLY needs it. It was only a matter of time before he followed along, and who's complaining? 2010 may start to choke on notalgia, but I don't care. Needlemouse is going to be special, even if just to the fans.

8. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    I LOL'd, hard.
    Now that you mention it, it's true, everyone is returning to the guaranteed success of their original recipes. It's a good strategy.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    If Sega makes this with the classic design and megadrive gameplay, reviews WILL be good. More people will give it a chance, and (if it IS only downloadable) it may be put on the next retail compilation, which as we all know WILL be made.

10. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I would be bloody surprised if this is a retail title, I'm really expecting this to be downloadable.

11. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If SEGA wind up making mulitple "classic" type games for release on the XBLA and PSN, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a compilation title out of that.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Me too, and that's a major downer. It'd be much less of a pain in the ass to just walk down to the store, cash in hand, and buy a solid copy of the game. If its as good as I'm hoping though, I'll go the extra mile, sign up for live, get the goddamn Microsoft points or whatever the fuck I need, and download it.

13. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    But that's the problem with the whole "back to the roots" strategy - you may think it's a good idea since it's "guaranteed to work", but truth is, what sold in the nineties is not so likely to sell nowadays, and that's why things like megaman 9 wouldn't have been possible if it weren't because of the XBLA/PSN.

Not a bad thing, altho being a downloadable game it may not get the attention it may deserve if it turns out to be good.

14. I don't really mind the fact that the game will most likely be downloadable, as long as it gets good publicity and coverage. What I do mind is the fact that Sega will most likely charge close to full price for the game, ignoring the fact that there's no box or any physical components.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Oh man, what if they decide to make mock up artwork for a cover like Capcom did for Mega Man 9 and 10? THE RETURN OF ASS FACE THE HEDGEHOG. YESSSSS.

16. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

Nononono.Please no Assface Sonic. That was the worst character design ever.

17. yet non-video game related stores like Hot Topic get away with it all the time and that store is popular as hell. I've seen a few old-skool sonic and mario shirts that sold like it was going out of style. Not to mention the classic SFII figurines they had at one time (which I currently own 3, lol).

If anything, this will just be more for the "long time/hardcore fans" that have been loyal to sega over the years, and if it DOES attract any new members, then more power to Sega.

18. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    The masses have no idea of what's in the package. They don't know any these classic vs modern Sonic crap. They know Sonic and thus they buy it. It's a miracle how the franchise remains this strong, despite the major drop in quality.

19. It's the same reason the Wii initially sold so well: Casual gamers/younger kids.

20. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    While I might not welcome the return of "Assface Sonic", I would welcome the return of box art that looked like someone went to town with an airbrush.

And a small thing, but I'd like the logo to be blue with a yellow border again, not the other way around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.