don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Am I the only one who's hoping that Sonic genuinely stays the same as he looks now, except maybe a bit less tall and less "extreme"? I like the green eyes and longer quills, personally. I hated the original US look of Sonic, though I suppose it'd be a treat to see him again one more time, so I think I get where you're coming from.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    As far as what I want to see it goes like this:

1. Japanese Retro Sonic
    2. Modern Sonic
    3. Sonic Team logo
    4. US Retro Sonic

However there is an exception to that US Retro rule. Later Retro Sonic art wasn't as bad

[​IMG]

Doesn't beat Sonic 3 art from Japan but it's better than Sonic 1 -3 in the US. Personally I'd love to see the return of the surrealistic art used on the Japanese box art I found it awesome. What I fear is though what if Sega does localisation "just for us"? Would they go as far as to create different boxarts/graphics depending on which region you're in? Or would they simply go as far as to only use US Retro Sonic due to Sonic's greater popularity in the US?

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Who knows, we don't even know if the Classic artwork will even be used in this game.

4. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    They're not Capcom. Hasn't the Japanese box-art for the games typically been very similar to the US one, rather consistently?

EDIT: Rather, the modern games... :x

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Yes, I personally believe that when the time comes for Sega to release any screenshots of Project Needlemouse, the debates this time around will be about Sonic's design/art style.

But whatever Sonic's design ends up becoming, I think we can all agree that if Sega pushes for zones that look like this:
    [​IMG]

Or like this:
    [​IMG]

This:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

Sega might possibly do a good job with this game after all. :)

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Wow.

Have you even seen the Japanese box art?

7. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    :ssh:

I got mixed up. I meant for the more modern games (Dreamcast and later, or so).

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    What? because they drew some pretty art? As much as I disliked Rush and Rush Adventure, the games had lovely art design.

Their level design was atrocious. Good art doesn't mean anything.

9. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    Well, personally the background designs in Unleashed, the Adventure titles, and '06 didn't do it for me. I'm just saying if we do end up arguing over the art style, we should spend more of that over what the levels end up looking like.

But yeah, I agree, level design is going to be an extremely big deal for this title if Sega wants to do this right.

10. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Do not get my hopes up. Please.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    You're extremly easy to please there OSM.

12. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Seeing the classic artwork in any form in this day and age done flawlessly, would literally, blow my balls off.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Sonic Heroes had the classic flavoring just right.

Didn't stop it from being a shallow repetitive game.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh, no please not like Chaotix. I played through that game today and came to the conclusion that while surreal Sonic art is good, there is a limit. Chaotix crosses that limit all the time. Botanic Base is a mess, that level above is just awful looking. I say they should use something like Sonic 3 or Sonic CD art with Sonic 3 esq level designs

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I disagree, Sonic Heroes felt like a bland 3D Sonic. All of the levels felt incredibly uninspiring and overall too wacky/lazy.

EDIT: I agree with Dark Sonic. Chaotix was too crazy and weird looking, I completely missed that example by accident. Sonic 2/CD level design would be utterly perfect.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed here. I like the idea they were going for but they didn't really hit it. One of the problems was that the levels were way too large for the characters, another was that they were floating through space. However the recreations of the Sonic Heroes levels for ASR actually look pretty good.

Oh let's not forget another important piece of discussion. Will there be special stages in this game? Super Sonic? Sonic 3D Blast Saturn special stages please kthnxbi

17. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Super Sonic is a must, this is the perfect opportunity for them to finally bring it back. Special Stages? They're a huge staple of the 2D games, to see them absent would be a crime. Sonic 3D Blast (PC/Saturn version) had the BEST Special Stages ever. Something like that again would be wonderful.

EDIT: Dark Sonic get out of my head.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm loathe to agree, but I feel out of intellectual honesty I must. I mean, who here has actually bought A Boy and His Blob?

19. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    I agree with the ASR remakes; they have turned into some nice-looking courses.

Personally, Chaotix' designs never hit me as being "too weird." To me, it felt like that's what Sonic's world was supposed to look like: a world filled with wild structures that feel natural to each level (CD and Chaotix pulled that off the best, IMO). There could be factories filled with odd shapes and bright colors, underground mines with glowing crystal cities, nuclear plants with swerving blue pipes, or palmtrees with sharp polygonal leaves and twisted trunks. However, I will complain that the backgrounds of Chaotix seemed too plain, most notably the fuzzy Botanic Base background and empty Marina Madness background, but personally that's the only (and minor) gripe I had with that game.

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Eh, worlds constructed out of foreign shapes and what looks like Mega Blocks isn't really that appealing to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.