don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for bringing that mistake to my attention, anyway.

2. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I've thought about a save feature, though I'm not sure I support it. I think part of the challenge to newcomers of Sonic 2 was working your way up to the final boss.

For example, because players had to figure out the attack patterns for cyber sonic and the final eggman, players would collect lives through the whole game, so they'd have lots of attempts. But with a save feature, people would just reload the final level continuously and work out the pattern in no time, which would spoil things a bit I think.

Also, there will most likely be a level select cheat and a time attack mode for completed levels, so a save feature might not be so useful.

3. Things I think should happen: The font should be changed to the original font for the text in the yellow area, and the "2 HD" should be removed, it's not there in the original. Generally though I think the title card looks great and should be kept as is (although if there is an issue with the shadow on the E then we should fix that too).

4. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I haven't heard your music yet, I'd like to though.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's in the music thread, feel free to take a look. Additionally, I've placed my music on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    On data select: if anyone were interested in putting it in, I would recommend a system where the game only saves when exiting the game and deletes the save upon resuming. This way replaying isn't an issue, like Athelstone mentioned, and the game doesn't have to be played through in one sitting (quite the benefit to busy people).

7. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    Here's my next attempt at the title card. (I should really stop trying!)

[​IMG]

Changes:
    1. 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD' replaced with 'Sonic the Hedgehog', in the same font.
    2. Some shadow changes

8. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
  9. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    This might be some help. But it seems to be missing Z O N and E.

Also, the file attachment thing doesn't work in Firefox 3 Beta 5.

10. SwissCM

SwissCM

I put these together:

A low resolution comparison to my work:
    [​IMG]

A high resolution version:
    [​IMG]

I modified Gaslight to match how it looks on Sonic 2, but only for the letters seen there. The "Sonic the Hedgehog" font down the bottom is a modified "BankGothic Md BT". It's all vector of course.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    We have a winner! Great work! :thumbsup:

12. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    That to me looks like a perfect replica. Nice!

13. Beautiful! Now we just need one for Act 2. SwissCM, do you think you could create an entire modified Gaslight font using the other title cards as well? Then we could just use that.

14. SwissCM

SwissCM

I'm not sure how to make font files out of Vector artwork. I'm working in Inkscape which uses SVG which is a reasonably well supported vector format, but I don't have anything that can actually make TTF font files or whatever.

I could put together a compilation SVG with a vector version of the modified gaslight font, but by then I'd be /finished/ so it would be a bit silly (though I'd probably do it anyway since I'm a swell guy).

15. No sweat, I've done my work in Inkscape too. So long as the quality of the additional cards is up to this one I think it'll be fine, actual TTF file or not.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Man, I like the font as much as the next guy, but Bank Gothic is totally overdone -- which is an issue since it's not *quite* the same font.

The font that you want is Serpentine. This is the closest freeware alternative I could find, Serpentine Light.

17. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
  18. George

George

Why does the N look so weird?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.