don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
  2. Bozo

Bozo

I tried the title card for EH1, but I dunno if it came out too great. But, anyway, here it is.

[​IMG]

I know 100% I'm gonna have to edit it, though...

3. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Those look really great, nice job! :)

4. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
  5. SwissCM

SwissCM

I'm of the opinion that it should be as close as possible to the original, but at a higher resolution and anti-aliasing around the edges. Sonic 2 and all the other Sonic Genesis games were rather cartoonish and simple, moving away from that style would make the game look worse.

Take the Duke3D Hi-Res Pack for example. There is some good artwork in there, but half of it was photo-realistic and the other half was very cartoony. I initially wanted it to go for a mostly photo-sourced look since the original game had very plain greyish tones. I started the damn project and it got so out of hand with a total mishmash of uncoordinated artwork that the end result was a bit of a joke. Some of my original artwork remained (the big red font for example), but most of it is gone now.

I remember reading earlier that Sonic 2 was very Art-Deco and I couldn't agree more. I think the Project Summary needs to have more information on the art style this project needs to follow.

6. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
  7. SwissCM

SwissCM

I was an idiot and thought I was on a later page than I actually was. The posts I was referring too are quite old, sorry about that. I updated my post to actually be useful.

8. Bozo

Bozo

<!--quoteo(post=191106:date=Apr 27 2008, 10:53 AM:name=SANiK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SANiK @ Apr 27 2008, 10:53 AM) [​IMG]

I know 100% I'm gonna have to edit it, though...[/quote]

"Sonic 2" seems too short - like a minority in the design - which is why it gets expanded to "Sonic the Hedgehog" so that it takes up more space and therefore the area doesn't feel empty/void
    And the letters for the stage name are missing shadows
    The "M" for eMerald fits in with the zig-zags, where in the original, there's a gap between the M and zig-zag
    Finally - the letters of the stage name still have noticeable pixels (especially around the curvature of the letter D)

A youtube video with the first frame showing the title screen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaBxXCH9b8
    [/quote]

I purposely took away the shadows in the letters of the stage name. It kind of looks better that way.
    I could expand the Sonic 2 part, but I'll start with adding the "Sonic the Hedgehog" part.
    For the M in Emerald, I'll move it over so it doesn't conflict with the zig-zags.
    And the rest I'll try to fix by myself.

Thanks for the ideas, by the way.

9. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    We already established that gradients won't work, but it does throw in an added touch. I like how the title cards are coming along as plain. "HD" in italics just debatable.

10. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Isn't having "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" debatable as well? I mean - in the original, it just said "Sonic the Hedgehog"
    So with that said, is there any reason to specify that this is Sonic 2 or Sonic 2 HD at all?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I thought we established that we were using Blast Processing's title card? It's in the OP of this topic, after all.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can't take stuff out like that.
    I'd honestly leave it like the original, no 2 or HD or anything...

13. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
  14. George

George

I think the card Tweaker is talking about is the best choice. The one's with too much gradient, and too much emphasis on the "HD" just look way too touched for this. I thought the point of this project was to make Sonic 2 in HD, not completely revamp the entire game.

The additions should be minimal, but still have enough change to show that this project is original, not just a small addition like those texture packs you can find for ROMs.

Overall, I think more time should be spent on other things, and spend less time coming up with hundreds of different SMALL variations of the same design.

15. Tweaker, I selected that as what I felt looked best at the time, but that doesn't mean people can't improve upon it. Indeed, the members have brought up a good point about the original and the "2 HD" thing. But I agree with you in the sense that I don't know why agreeing on a title card is proving so difficult. It is just about the simplest thing in the game after all...

16. Hm? I was basing the position of my shadows off where they were on the original upscaled text. And the shadows are exactly the same size as the original letters, I don't see why they need to be thicker.

17. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    If anything, IMO, the shadows should be slightly thinner.

18. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

If anything - when the zig-zag slides in, the shadow's supposed to get closer

19. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Has there been any thoughts about this game having a save feature? I was thinking that a data select screen would be awesome. Accessible from the options screen of course.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You're basing that comparison off the animated gif. There's a static version which does not exert those issues.

No. Remember that the purpose of this project is to remake the graphics and sound, not revamp the game's playability aspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.