don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's not preferred. The font is wrong, and the gradient doesn't look good at all.

3. It was there on the Genesis, although it's more noticable at 2/400%. I'll kick the layer up a notch if you want.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's the same I think.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  8. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    xD

I know, I was being sarcastic, I know that tittle card was awful for a Sonic game.

9. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    There was a TTF font created by LOst way back that was pretty much an exact replica of the S2 title card font, except scalable (he used it for the old SClassic and A51 logos). I don't have it anymore though, lost it in a drive crash long ago. Anyone else here happen to have it? That'll pretty much end all this "wrong font" discussion.

10. As others have stated, I think we should just keep the title cards simple instead of trying to glam them up just because we can. No gradients, no over-the-top shading. Just nice, crisp, and clean.

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Do you people remember what Sonic Team did with the title cards in SA2, huh?

12. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Add 10-second loading times?

13. rofl! I assume you mean the gradient on the symbol Tadashi?

14. And now, my newest set of spikes. I honestly think this is as curved as they should be:
    [​IMG]

Comments are appreciated.

15. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    There's a larger version of the monitor here: Image:Monitor.png

I need to change it to match the S2 style monitors.

16. Dioxaz

Dioxaz

Oldbie
    Sonic Rush No Vocal
    I saw all attempts so far and no, I'm also against any gradient idea. I want just solid colors because it's what looks the best to me. Adding gradients is like adding fake modernity. A few years later, and all gradients will look terribly dated (because it's a typical 2000s fashion/trend).

I only have a few remarks for about title card typfaces:

- IMHO, it will be much better if they use a custom design and are rendered as bitmaps instead of using TTF fonts (unless it has already be planned this way)
    - the Gaslight-like typeface still looks a little wrong to me compared to the original title card, I've got a school manual which uses almost the same exact font as the Sonic 2 title card one. I can scan the pages (I don't have all letters however) if you want to use them as a base
    - it hasn't discussed yet I think, but if you have to choose a typeface for HUDs, please don't use Arial

17. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    Here's another feeble attempt at the title card. (Acts 1 & 2)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Changes:
    1. 'O' in 'Zone' thinner.
    2. Small vertical line in 'D' and 'O' thicker.
    3. Shadows slightly thicker.
    4. Italiced 'HD'.
    Comments much appreciated.

18. I'm not a fan of emphasising the HD in any way. I think it looks nicest when exactly the same as the rest of the title.

19. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I agree. Those are the best ones I've seen yet. :)

20. Death of Rats

Death of Rats

-Sonic 2 HD- Zone Art Coordinator Member
    I really think it would look better if the HD wasn't in italics. The reason the title card is working so well in HD is because it's all very straight and flat. The italics doesn't fit in with that.

Also, having the HD be the same as the rest of the text would help not put emphasis on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.