don't click here

Naka Interview answers many questions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Keith Hemari, Oct 1, 2005.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Am I the only one here that can read between lines? He doesn't seem to be happy about this at all.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm sorry, but that was rude as fuck. I'm American, but I'll be damned if I believe what I see and hear without more solid proof. Society itself -- not just America -- is fucked. Don't believe anything.

3. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    WAAAAARGH

*tears his hair out*

For the record, I don't believe the 'nakaflashdriveyouhavethebeta?zomfgthere'saromdumpoftheproto' story one bit. For one thing, we are known to Sega. Remember Pach working at a Sonic Team division? His name's in the Sega Smash Pack's credits, for Pete's sake. How could this prototype not be known?

How hypocritical we are. People want a 2D Sonic game gone 3D. We get Heroes. People complain the game's so full of bugs, it's basically a heap of soil. *buzzer sound* Wrong. People want a solo character game. We get Shadow's game. People complain as it has him with a (entirely optional) gun. Comparisons with GTA. *buzzer sound* People want a Sonic game based solely around speed. We get Riders. And so on and so forth.

:rolleyes:

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    People want good games. We get the above (although the more I hear of the Shadow game the more curious I become - just so long as it doesn't come with that ear torture).

5. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Just because YOU don't like those games doesn't mean that Sega doesn't care.
    Didn't some people cry "we want a Sonic game that is more old-school" after Sonic Adventure 1 and 2? They got Sonic Heroes, albeit they probably envisioned something different. :P
    And didn't Sega have a poll on their Sonic website, asking fans which character they'd like to see in his own game? A Shadow the Hedgehog option was on it and I bet it received many votes.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The vast majority of us fans don't like Heroes, didn't you know? Same with Advance 3. I'll admit, I am somewhat looking forward to Shadow, but not too enthusiastically; the word "hopeful" would be a good description of my anticipation - hopeful it isn't a piece of crap.

Battle is full of massive plot holes that just leave me (and many others) confused.

7. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Agreed. That, and those who disagree with the new games say that Sega isn't lestening to their fans. Truth is, Sega is listening to their fans. It's just a matter of which fans they're listening to—after all, our little community here represents only a small portion of the Sonic fan base, which is a fact that members here seem fo forget.

And about the whole American thing, you can fuck yourself about that.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Well, these are my views on Heroes and the main "fans", who are generally <10 years old.

The thing is that we are, in general, the more intelligent, older fans who remember and know how a Sonic game is supposed to be played, and yes, we sadly make up the minority of the fans. Many fans are the five to eight year olds who watched Sonic X, saw an ad for Heroes and proclaimed "ZOMG LIEK TALKING HEDGEHOG HE HAVE NEW VIDEO GAME w00t w00t GIMME MOMMY =DDDDDDD" and have never seen or heard of games before Heroes, and so that is how they think Sonic games should be. Heroes was a poor "Sonic game" (though I really don't count it as an actual "Sonic game", the gameplay was too drastically different) because the gameplay was poor, the music was poor (or at least poorer than the Adventure series, though it still isn't too bad), the voice acting was of a much lower quality than the Adventures, and the dialouge was much too kiddy. The only thing "retro" about it was Metal Sonic. This is where the <10 year old fans draw their Sonic experiences from; they never played an actual "Sonic game", meaning they really aren't "Sonic fans", they are "Sonic Heroes fans", because Heroes was a much different franchise than the original games and the Adventures.

9. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I thought Sonic Battle was good.....

The only sonic game I'm REALLY looking forward to is the Next Gen sonic game, it looks absolutly fantastic!

10. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Sega is a business. They won't make much money by releasing stuff that the "older, more intelligent" fans want. They'll make more by releasing stuff that the kids want, and that the older, more intelligent fans buy anyway.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Smartest thing I've heard all day.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I don't think you got my point. I don't consider the kids "Sonic fans". They are "Sonic Heroes fans", a franchise very much different than the normal Sonic one.

13. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Just because the younger fans like Heroes doesn't make them any lesser of a Sonic fan. Yes, the new generation of Sonic fans missed Sonic at his best, but each generation is presented with new games to fall in love with.

Imagine playing Sonic Heroes without any prior knowledge of the Genesis Sonic games. What impression would you have? Also, if you have never really known anything but 3D games, would you want to give the older games a chance?

It's all a matter of perspective.

14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I heartily agree that if you're a fan of Sonic Heroes only, you are still technically a Sonic fan.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I stopped playing Sonic when I was about 7. I restarted my obsession with Sonic Heroes. I am sorry if this makes me any less of a fan to you, Guess Who.
    I guess if I had restarted with Sonic & Knuckles, this would make me a "Sonic & Knuckles fan". After all, the gameplay was different to the original. It had glides and spindashes and new characters.

So kids enjoy the new games. Well, if they had been young in the early 90's, they would have played the originals. But now, they play the current games on the market. Just because someone gets annoyed because he hates the new games and sees himself as more of a fan doesn't make them any less of a Sonic fan.

16. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I agree with that too—would you believe me if I told you that the first Sonic game I actually owned was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle? Of course, that's not the whole story—not by a long shot—but I guess that makes me a turd too, since, after all, I didn't play the old games until after I was poisoned with the new ones, and because of their vile grip I'm now anxiously awaiting Shadow the Hedgehog. I guess I might as well leave and contribute to the real Sonic fans stopping Sonic from continuing...

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I am saying that Heroes is a very different franchise from normal Sonic. You can be a fan of both, I am saying that the younger fans who have never played pre-Heroes Sonic are just Sonic Heroes fans and don't know how much better the other Sonic games are. I never said those who like Heroes are not true Sonic fans, just those that like it and either:

A. Never played pre-Heroes Sonic (which is very different)
    B. Don't like normal Sonic.

If you like Heroes and neither A or B apply to you, then you are also a Sonic fan.

EDIT: By the way, Mega Collection and Gems Collection are very easy to come by, so don't give me any "they can't play the old games" bullshit.

18. Vangar

Vangar

I rest my case.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You have a Sonic Heroes avatar. :P

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Late 2003-Early 2004-Sega releases Sonic Heroes, intended for a younger audience. It gets huge success, especially in Britan.

Late 2005-Sega releases Shadow the Hedgehog, a game where demon-like aliens torment the planet earth, and Shadow, the gun-bearing, motorcycle-riding semi-gothic hedgehog, shoots at everything he sees, including Sonic.

WHAT?