don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Personally I prefer either the Green Hill style or the revision of the original style. The new grass kinda takes away from the authenticity to the game's style and makes it look less like a replica of the original zone. perhaps add to the original grass style and make it a bit bushier but keep the overall clump formation.

2. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very unfinished, only "OBJECT EDITOR" and "RESTART LEVEL" works...
    Font from PALib.

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Good god that grass is old..
    .. and from my old GHZ improved lib from SFGHQ. :> I haven't seen that in ages.

Just use the original MD GHZ grass as that's what it is in the SMS version, just the GHZ grass in BZ.

4. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Why not make it something similar to the grass used the 2 part of Neo Green Hill in Sonic Advance?

http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advan...cadv/sheet/7086
    Top right of the sheet under the big bush/tree. It sorta looks similar to Bridge Zone's grass.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It should perhaps be noted that 8 bit Green Hill does not have the same grass style as Bridge Zone, suggesting the latter is meant to represent a different style from that the 16 bit GHZ/MZ uses:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    :U well forgive me for not remembering that properly.

Also, not sure if I posted this before, but eh..

[​IMG]
    Not chaging according to "time", rather a different area.

7. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    That's rather schnazzy. How'd you handle the loading of the pallets at runtime? When I try the game crashes itself. But I like it!

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I like these palettes, but the blue one in the bottom right looks like the one I used in my hack, you definitely stole the palette line from my rom, I command you to change it >:|

+ - (jk of course, this is a joke post aimed to your "the feature you tried to implement was already implemented by someone else" pic :P)  

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I wasn't trying to correct you or anything I think the GHZ tiles make sense too, just the separate ones used for BZ in the 8 bit version I thought may give more sense to use the other ones (I truthfully had to double check they were different too).

Not bad pallettes by the way. Will you be putting in any scenery changes like in CD as well?

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    :U I was about to post the image, too, until I saw the spoiler after quoting. I'll put it in anyway~
    [​IMG]

11. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I like the green one where the foreground is green and the background is green and the water is green.

srsly though, if you're not going to change the water's color you could at least not use the same color for the rest of the stage. Purple is cool. Use purple.

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]

Very early mockup of something I've been working on. Nothing ingame yet; I want to have enough tiles done for a decent amount of playable level. This Zone is/will be me going completely overboard with Sonic 2's foreground paths; for instance, there's going to be a point in the layout where you run along one of two dragons spiraling around each other (depending on where you were coming to this area) and up/down a long slope, so that the high path gets you a crazy speed boost while going to the bottom of the screen and the low path eats all your momentum bringing you to the top of the screen.

I know the head is a bit bleh, but I'm not sure what I could do there...

I wanted to do a yellowish underbelly to the dragons, but there's not room on the palette line. I might try to squeeze the yellows into the palette line with the scales on it, but then I have less colors to use for Badniks...

(And, yes, I know there's a third palette line! That is reserved for the background.)

13. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Nice, snake way themed level :P.

Why not use the 3rd palette line for the dragon, and the 4th for the background? And then use the 1st and 2nd for badnicks.

14. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    (Um... Sonic has line 0...)
    The dragon is colorful enough that its body (without the blue scales) takes up a full palette line by itself.
    Scales and other decorative elements are the next palette line. This will probably be what I use for Badniks.
    Last one is the background, which I'm going to make a video of when it's finished and the palette effects/scrolling work.

15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Is that Chun-Nan Daytime stage?

16. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    No. The entire stage is made of dragons. It's set in a storm cloud; I'm going to see if I can silhouette the foreground when the lightning appears. That will prevent foreground palette rotation, though...

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]
    I know it doesn't look like much, but I managed to make it so the time bonus is completely gone. In its place is an Captured Emerald Bonus, which gives you 5000 points. You get nothing out of this bonus if you don't get the emerald. Yes, the Captured Emerald Bonus looks like a bear. Which makes the hack all the more awesome, because bears are naturally awesome.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    Had some extra time today, made some new signpost art.

18. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    It's been like 2 months since I made something art releated, so it's time for something new. I wanted to get rid of my old HUD for a long time, and finally I did it:

http://selbi.hapisan.com/HUDNew2.gif (External because it's 1.4MB.)

I'm not sure if I showed this off before, so I'm doing it now. It was designed to add a story to the game:

[​IMG]

19. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Sonic's palette line has:
    - blue
    - gray
    - orange
    - red
    - tan
    in it, and you can't fit green, orange and yellow into a palette line?

That's because you're using way too many shades. You can easily fit three colors into a palette line, with a whole five shades of each. A lot of detail is actually possible with just three shades.

=o Erazor progress! -drools- Do want.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

To see if everything WAS okay. Not is.