don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    QFT. Those images just blew my mind all over my dinner.

....Mmmm... Brain dinner...

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    HOW ARE THESE REAL?

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

And the two necessary pallette lines for that matter?

Either way it looks awesome, I'm pretty sure everyone on here has dreamed of this at least once in the past.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Thanks to Xenowhirl I am now speechless.
    Though I have to jump on the "how did you find the vram / how could you fit them all in a palette line" bandwagon. I tried to double check your pics, and I think you did some subtle palette replacement, but they still use 17 colors (16+transparency):
    [​IMG]

5. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Obligatory 'Oh my fucking God' post. Awesome stuff.

6. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Oh crumbs, I pity anyone who was about about to post their own updates that'd get swamped by all these "holy shit" posts (consider this one)

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    This stuff is looking amazing...
    Well, this is just a suggestion Xenowhirl, but maybe call the game something like Sonic 2: Triple Threat? Just a suggestion. I've seen some pictures of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles be called Triple Threat, so...why not? Up to you.

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Hate to sound negative, but those really look like mock-ups to me. Others have already pointed out the palette & vram limitations being surpassed and I think the "team" screen shots look a little thrown together.

I really pray to God that my dream has come true so I'll be glad when these mysteries are cleared up.

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Actually, I said they use one color too much (17):

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Hm. Fair enough.. still, I wouldn't doubt Xenowhirl. :U He has his fancy methods.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    I never doubted him, I know he's awesome :)

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I can independently verify as a hacking contest judge that the work is legitimate. No debate about it.

13. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Well that's great news for both hacks then. I can't wait for its completion.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Some here seem to forget the idea that there are 4 palette lines =P

15. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    So that was the reason behind the recent activity on the svn disassembly... :rolleyes: Looking awesome, can't wait to give it a try.

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    This is bloody amazing and needs its own two threads.

As far as the palette in the team play hack is concerned, if Nineko's not mistaken about the 17 colors, I'd bet he either put one character on a second palette line, or that he chopped off the characters' shoes into separate sprite pieces and put them on a second palette line. Or a similar trick. It's what I'd do, at least.

Also, DO WANT Yoshi gameplay. Throwing eggs in a Sonic game? Made of win. I can just imagine what would happen to oh, say, the Metropolis boss.

I assume there'll be Baby Tails/Knuckles too?

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

True but converting a consistant second pallette line for another character would be hard due to Sonic 2 really stretching all three level lines for color which would make alterations very noticable in places (in contrast to Sonic 1 which has a near perpetually consistant first level pallette line for all the levels).

If there is a trick however, I'd like to hear it.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    While it may be difficult, that's not the same as impossible, having 17 (or more) colours under a single sprite piece, map tile, etc, is impossible due to the nature of the VDP chip (of course that is if you don't count the horizontal blanking interval palette swap method as used by Sonic Team for the water levels, and ColinC10 for Sonic 1 and 2 iirc (which funny enough, opens up another method)), but having co-ordinate everything perfectly between the 4 lines (while not easily done) is not impossible and is another option opened up (if one is willing to spend the time to arrange everything and make the seemingly impossible possible that is), and thus to the point, still can convince the idea that those images aren't moc-ups.

19. Sonic 2D Heroes! Thats a decent name.

Also Yoshi in Sonic 2?! AWESOME. TO THE NTH DEGREE!

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    @Xenowhirl: That is absolutely unreal that those hacks exist. Excellent job though I hope the Baby sonic sprite will have more detail in the final release if it's possible.

@BlazeHedgehog: I'm very glad that effect isn't possible because it looks like a really annoying effect. <_< The game itself looks good though.