don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think only the grass may look too basic (the rocks underneath actually seem well shadowed and detailed in comparison to the 8 bit version), and even then it is because it is authentic to the original art used in the zone. Maybe make it bushier and grass like in terms of shading while maintaining the basic clump structure. It may also only be in comparison to the exceptionally lush background. I would say tone it down and make it more simplified and abstract like the Sonic 1 examples but I really don't want such lovely art downgraded. :D

2. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    E-122 Psi, he reiterated like 3 times from earlier comment, it is a WIP. He knows of the plastic looking grass. But in all seriousness, it looks very sexy. I can't wait until the final version is released.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I was merely pointing which part I thought needed revamping, as I don't think it needs a complete overhaul. It is actually the foreground that makes it look authentic to the original version.

4. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    oh, ok. sorry for the uneducated response. But yes, since I went and reread your earlier statement, I know understand.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

No prob.

It IS lush though. :D

6. Cap.Z.

Cap.Z.

I would put the grass in front of sonic and sonic behind it (I dunno if I am explaining well), pretty much like in S2 and S3

7. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Yeah I was thinking of that at first, but it'll give weird effects when jumping up to raised ledges, as you will appear to go through the grass, which would look really odd. I'll come up with something though, I'm going to do some more work on it now.

8. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Looking very nice indeed, looking forward to the finished product.

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Ok, last post in this topic for this, next time I post will be a bigger update in the relevant topic.

I've tweaked the art a bit, and have some pics showing the changes unfiltered and filtered. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome, I'm working on a bit of trial and error basis to get something looking decent.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Make Sonic's feet behind the grass. Looks more natural that way

11. I don't mean to overstep my bounds here, but I made a couple of edits to your bridge zone's tiles. The big thing that was really jarring to me at first was the dark contrast, and I've lightened it up a bit, making it a little easier on the eyes. Second, I added a little texture to the left side of the plateau to make it seem a little more uniform.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You really need to do something about that grass, though.

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I'm working on the grass now, but I'm tempted to scrap the Bridge style grass in favour of something original, because the shape of it makes it a bitch to work with.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd support that. Doesn't have to be an exact replica, besides the original grass didn't look good anyway

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    [​IMG]

Ok, new grass. Yes or no?

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The tops of the grass really look repetitive, It looks better than before, but it's not super obvious that it's bridge zone's grass. I'm not sure what you could do, maybe have tall bits and short bits like the old grass. Though, the ground tiles, layout and music might be enough to make people feel like they're playing BZ (not forgetting the title card :P )

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What's wrong with your old mockup.

[​IMG]

I thought everything was perfect for it. The grass seemed the best choice considering the zone is from Sonic 1 and the tiles fitted perfectly with everything else. Nothing looked out of place.

17. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well considering this level is following on from GHZ, I don't particularly want what would pretty much be what Hill Top is to Emerald Hill. Using the GHZ grass, along with a slightly modified foreground feels lazy to me, and I wanted to make this zone something original instead of a slight alteration to an old zone. I'll open it up to debate though, I'll let people decide which they prefer.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What about the tiles though? I thought they were great as well.

19. Cap.Z.

Cap.Z.

[​IMG]

Best Grass Ever (at least, of this bunch) I would stick to it if I were you

20. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Yes.... that is all.