don't click here

Chris Senn Presents.... (56k warning) 06/02

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by hxc, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    No, you're wrong. :P

I look at everything. Not just the gameplay. A game could have wonderful gameplay, but suck due to bad art, music, and storyline.

This game had the Death Egg. This game had some really nice sonic style music. This game had some interesting ideas for badniks and bosses. The art used was quite nice, it was 3D yet Sonic style at the same time.

To be quite honest, I bet the gameplay would have been nice as well. Why? Because it was something new. They had some very innovative ideas going.

2. Blazer

Blazer

I tend to disagree with you:
    The Death Egg seemed to be misused. The Death Egg is supposed to be a space station created as a Doomsday machine, and in the storyboards of Sonic X-treme it is used as a spherical aerial ship.
    The music is very different from the themes used in the Sonic genesis games. You can't say that it is the classic Sonic style music because there isn't any other game that used that style.
    And the gameplay seems to be slow. Also, I read that the peoples who played demos before the game was cancelled said that they weren't impressed. But I am not going to discuss about the gameplay of a game that nobody has played.
    And you are saying that you would qualify a game with bad graphics, bad music, bad storyline, but awesome gameplay as bad? You would qualify Super Mario World as bad? It is considered one of the best 2d plattaform games, and yet is has horrible graphics, horrible story (because it isn't story based since it its a Mario and a Nintendo game), and the music would be way better.

3. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    Kicking back and listening to the Giza Speedway and Magmatropolis music, it was reminding me of Ape Escape. That's because the music stands out and isn't too different or old - it's fresh and exciting.
    As for the demos released, I was excited by the gameplay style shown to us in the Tiara demo, where she is shot to a part of the level further away, that just looked like a still image in the background. It reminded me of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile on the Playstation. That's because the level design was simple yet interesting.
    And for including or excluding the Death Egg, it doesn't bother me. As long as Sega keeps a clich?d "Space", "Ice" or "Volcano" level, then they're following platform gaming rules (having no ice level in SA2/B was surprising).

4. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    People, it wasn't the final music, its conceptual. Drossin would have probably done the music rather than Senn in the real thing.

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Man, if those textures weren't in JPEG format, it'd be great for fangames... :)

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Super Mario World has beautiful graphics, catchy music and doesn't need a storyline.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I'd rather have the Sonic Isometric screenshot in non-JPEG format.

8. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

This game looks awesome. Has anyone created a website on Sonic Extreme ?

9. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Yeah dood! Right here...

http://www.sonicxtreme.com/

But seriously...there's plenty of websites that have some info. Sonic Cult does but it's basically everything HXC has shared with us here regurgitated.

10. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    I have info too ;_;

Though admittedly I haven't updated any of this new Chris Senn info yet. These are merely snippets of a larger thing he plans to release in mid-Feburary. Not much point on making assumptions now :thumbsup:

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It's a LOT closer than what we have today.

Hello? It was never ever finished. I am sure it would have been much more polished had it been released.

Yes. If a game is made, effort should be put into ALL areas. Not just one.

I don't believe I ever played it. :P Do I look like a mario fan? The only mario game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

12. Shade

Shade

Granted.

You can't exactly state that as fact, though. Lots of gimmicky Sonic titles like this (3D Blast, Spinball, Sonic R) didn't turn out at all excellent.

Although I would not pass up a chance to play a build of this. I am not assuming this would have been bad, it just doesn't appear all that awesome from what I myself gather. Unique, yes. But not nescisarily great.

13. Blazer

Blazer

More enemy designs. Click here.

I can't say that I agree with you. I don't see how can you call these graphics beautiful. IMO they are too simple. Compare them with the graphics of Sonic 1. The Sonic graphics were way better, and both games were released in the '91. Same with the music. Not to offend, but that's my opinion. And I never said that it needed a storyline (the Mario games work better without storylines).

I disagree again. I disagree completely. If you think so, then compare any of the next themes: Green Hill, Star Light, Scrap Brain, Hidden Palace (Sonic 2 or S3&K), Hydrocity 2, Flying Battery or Sky Santuary with the Sonic X-treme concept music, and then compare it with Emerald Coast 2 (Windy and ripply, for put a example). Many of the SA themes are more similar to the old Sonic music style. And the music of the Advance series is more similar too.
    The themes for Sonic X-treme sound weird. The music of the original games is more complex and sounded waaaay better. But of course, that is only my opinion.

Do you know that are the demos for? They are to allow the peoples test the gameplay of a game. If they have the gameplay of a game very incomplete, they don't will release a demo yet. Otherwise it will give the peoples who play it a bad impression.

While I agree that they should put effort in all areas, I say that the gameplay is what makes a game. A game with good gampleay is a good game. A game with bad gameplay is a bad one. The main reason because I play games is for fun. Give a low score to a game with good gameplay is unfair.

Do you think that is necessary to be a Mario fan to enjoy it? I am not one, and yet I found it very entertaining. You should play it someday if you have the opportunity.

14. But the difference is Sonic 1 was released two or so years after the Mega Drive's release, while Super Mario World was a launch title, for a console that the crew were probably only getting to grips with. Look at Yoshi's Island, and see how much they improved.

btw xtreme looks hawt. :0

15. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    I state yet again, this is CONCEPT MUSIC BY CHRIS SENN. HOWARD DROSSIN WOULD HAVE DONE THE REAL GAME!

16. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    Note on the new enemies pic, they mention the "Electro Shield." Glad they decided to use that again after the success of the S3K Lightning Shield.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Not just the Lightning shield either; according to Chris Senn, the final powerup listing included no less than six planned shields, including not only the return of the Fire, Water and Lightning Shields but also the introduction of Metal, Rock and Wind shields. Apparently some shields would have had offensive properties, possibly akin to the Fire Shield's Fireball attack in S3&K (more details have yet to surface on this AFAIK).

=P

18. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Gotta love the floppy disk missile launcher ("Floppy") and the killer 5-pin serial port.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I demand R and Spinball be removed from that list.

20. Shade

Shade

Don't get me wrong. I love Sonic R, and I am one of the few that actually thinks spinball is decent. But you have to admit that, realistically, they are not exceptionally solid, and definintley not the cream of the crop. Their mechanics are just kind of broken.

Well, anywho. Back on topic then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.