don't click here

An official name for Sonic 2's desert

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    The way I see it, "Dust Hill" might make sense for Desert Zone, but "Mystic Cave" makes more sense for Hidden Palace Zone than it does for Mystic Cave Zone, so it's a bit presumptuous to base theories on that.

2. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Mystic Cave is more an odd wine cave with traps, moving boxes and walls, than a natural water grotto/underground river.

3. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Actually, Mystic Cave does make sense IMO.

And I don't see how Rock could also be Snow :/

And what do you define as "false information"?

4. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Rocks->Mountain->Snow
    Sand->Desert->Hot place

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's an interesting theory, SHB.

Actually, I believe The Taxman had created a similar apperance of what Rock Zone may possibly have looked like. I think the level was called "Dust Hill Past". Like you said, it had the large mountains, but no snow. I believe Rock Zone would be similar to the apperance of Taxman's level, but darker, and with art that better resembled a "Past" apperance.

As for the Desert Zone in your hack SHB, it would be quite appropriate to simply name it Desert Zone, even with the pallette change in the middle. A desert, as found out by your topic (Definition of "Dust Hill", I believe it was called) can either be of sand or snow. Therefore, I believe your recreation of Desert Zone is the most accurate of them all, as both the Winter and Desert scenes could be labeled with the name "Desert Zone".

As for Dust Hill, I still believe it was an earlier name for Mystic Cave, along with Deep Caves. I hope that argument will end, however Wetflame seems to believe otherwise. Everybody is entitled to thier opinions, I suppose.

I only have 6 posts left. Better use them wisely...

6. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Fellow Trial member, nice to see someone else in a similar situation.

As for the time-travel idea, just a thought but if they included a future like Sonic CD, what would that zone be? Since we already know that Rock Zone would be the past of Desert (Sabaku) Zone, maybe Mystic Caves could have (unlikely) tied into that idea in a way, but if not, then what was the planned future area of the Zones, if there was such a thing?

One theory goes that the Desert Zone was indeed named Dust Hill Zone, but until we have proof of such a thing, we'll refer to them separately, in my opinion. Two zones we will probably never know anything about, beside the palettes, are Genocide City Zone and Death Egg Zone, though we can make speculations and theories all day, we can not be sure in this situation.

7. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    And now Trigahd is going to post a senseless theory...

Let's look at things we know. At one point, Sonic 2 was going to have time travel, yes? Then, Rock Zone was going to be the past of Desert Zone. However, when the idea of time travel was canned, they decided to try something else with their two levels, palette switching. Wanna know what I think now? I think that picture we all hold to be Dust Hill is actually Rock Zone. Crazy? Yes, but let's take a look at other things. What happens in a desert when it becomes night time? It gets really cold, so there's your "winter level" in the palette switching. If you look at it, sand and snow at night time look pretty much the same, and because the coldness of night time in a desert, it's easy to call it the winter level. Rock Zone can easily fit with that picture we call Dust Hill because of the rocky backround and flooring. However, due to time constraints, both levels had to be canned since they were being worked on in conjunction together.

...And now ends Trigahd's senseless theory

8. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    I agree, except for that Brenda mentioned making a christmas tree, so it couldn't simply be a cold stone level.

But the idea of the desert pic actually being rock zone.. maybe the actual desert zone was moreso like an arabic desert (more desolate) than our pic, which seems to be more like a western desert, complete with monoliths.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Genocide City? We already know that Tom Payne scrapped it in favor of the third act of Metropolis due to lack of time.

From the info we were able to gather in the past, it looks like it was your average mechanical world... And since it was never started, we can say we know almost everything about it.

10. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    You never know, they could've had complete different art for the Desert Zone. They could've pulled something like they did with MZ, WFZ, and SCZ. Deset Zone could've had it's own separate slot with some art that wasn't in Rock Zone. Fact of the matter is, we'll never truly know, and my idea was just a groundless theory.

As with the Christmas tree, heh, a cactus with christmas lights :lol: .

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Rock Zone [​IMG]

12. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Whoops, thanks for that correction :(.

13. Molotok

Molotok

This is obvious to put, but just found it interesting.

All zones in the Beta and Final are in the same exact places, except:
    Death Egg Zone in Beta is now the place for Sky Chase Zone (10).
    Wing Fortress Zone has appeared out of "nowehere" in terms of level ID (06).
    Genocide City Zone has been replaced by Death Egg Zone (0E).

Now, if we assume they used all the number in hexademical for level ID (00 - 10, including 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F), we can see a few missing: 01, 03, and 09. Even if we assume the Special Stage is one of these missing numbers, that still does not explain the two other missing numbers.

I am probably misinformed over hexadecimal and how it is used but according to the Level ID chart provided on this site, that is what I could gather as to a theory about the missing zones.

So, technically, in other words, those two missing numbers could have been Rock Zone and Desert Zone, but I will claim nothing as fact until it is proven, until it has been, I point out that this is just a theory of mine.

14. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Actually, the special stage doesn't have a level. It's suspected that Wood, Desert, and Winter Zones occupied those spots. However, we can now say that Rock zone occupies what was the winter level, or the Desert level occupies the winter's slot and Rock occupies the Desert. But the Special Stage occupies it's own spot, it doesn't use 01, 03, or 09. Hope that clears things up for you.

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    No it isn't.

Slot 01 is unused.
    Slot 03 is Wood Zone.
    Slot 09 is unused.

It's not "suspected" that the unused two were ever anything.

16. Molotok

Molotok

I based my theory on Sonic 1's (Green Hill 00, Labyrinth Zone 01 [with act 4 being Scrap Brain Zone act 3], Marble Zone 02, Star Light Zone 03, Spring Yard Zone 04, and Scrap Brain Zone 05 [with act 3 being Final Zone]) and Sonic 3's level IDs (Angel Island 00, Hydrocity 01, Marble Garden 02, Carnival Night 03, Flying Battery 04, Ice Cap 05, Launch Base 06, Azure Lake 0E, Balloon Park 0F, Chrome Gadget 10, Desert Palace 11, Endless Mine 12, Bonus Stage 13, 07 to 0D and 14 to 17 are empty).

So, if I understand correctly from both of your posts, Wood Zone occupies two level IDs? 02 as stated on this site and 03 as was just pointed out?

17. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Was WZ 02? Oh...my memory fails me. In which case we know 03 to be unused. Apologies.

18. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I remember there being a reason suggested as to why 03 could be the desert stage.

19. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    You're probably right. I suspected it to be those, so I should've known better. Man, I'm out of it these days.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    ...Wood Zone is ID 02. ID 03 just plays the music used in the final's OOZ, while Sonic and Tails fall to their doom. =P