don't click here

Amy In Sonic 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I allways know that.

Neat, so what does this update fix or replace?

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx for that Aquaslash. :D

Didn't know you could do that. Maybe I should have the S1 Charmy one opened as well, did anyone miss that update?

The update is kinda small, it fixes a lot of pallette problems (80% less purple), the sprites are fixed for split screen and a few gameplay modifications from S2+K are added (eg. lower ring quotas in special stages, keep your total after losing a life or a lifepost) and a few teeny bugfixes here and there.

I've actually made a few other slight modifications since the upload, thanx to Snkenjoi I've managed to edit the title screen to mirror S2+K's dynamic (pretty much identical to that mockup I uploaded earlier) and I've also refined some the sprite art slightly and couple odd glitches (eg. Super Amy's walking upward dash). Just a couple minor refinements and I can make what will likely be my final upload of the hack.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Neat thanks for updating I'll go grab the updated version now. I think we did miss that charmy update as well.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay, think I've finally finished everything up now, here's the final revision:

[​IMG]

Mostly cosmetic fixes for this one,

* A lovely refined title screen thanx to Snkenjoi.
    * A few sprites touched up here and there (thanx to ChelseaCatGirl for the fixed sprites).
    * I've finally got the special stage results to read AMY instead of SONIC.

I think everything is working okay now, if you find any problems however please say. The new revision is on the wiki page as usual.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Amy_Rose_in_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Nice update. Thanks for posting this.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Doesn't her dress look a bit shiny, for a dress?

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Loving that title card. nice work!

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just one suggestion besides the mandatory "please make the B button be the fire button":

Since Amy's spindash is just a weaker Super Peelout, wouldn't it make more sense mapping it to Up + Jump?

In any case, it's still amazing. :)

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I gave this an all emerald run through this morning and it was an improvement over standard Sonic 2. The new moveset gives everything fresher feel, especially the bosses. Amy's sprite was charming to watch aswell.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx, I'll get to the button switch in due time.

The upward dash is activated in the same manner as her Advance 2 and 3 moveset.

*EDIT: Crap! I thought this was finished but there's still one trace of Sonic's name left; the SONIC WINS! message in VS special stage. Anyone know how to edit this, since I can't see the mappings for it anywhere.

*EDIT AGAIN: Never mind. Fixed. Seemed a trivial thing to make another revision for but the same could be said for the past two really. The walking upward dash fix is also in this one for real this time (don't quite know why that wasn't fixed in the other one).

11. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Out of curiosity: did you give up on the idea of swapping Tails with Cream?

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I guess all that's missing is Amy in Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Amy in Sonic CD, then. :P

I wonder in the former if she will have any design changes or something (like how Sonic's and Tails's sprites looked slightly different).

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I hope not... let Amy keep her unique look. It sets her apart from S3 Sonic and Tails... sometimes a homogenized style isnt necessarily a great thing.

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    But then she'd look out of place with the rest of the game. The changes would be for the best.

15. MathUser

MathUser

in addition to making up+button the run buttonhow about giving her a spin dash too. She has one in Sonic Advance 2.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Not quite. I plan to make an Amy and Cream S2 hack but it will be separate from this one, it will likely also use modern Amy to avoid pallette issues and maybe even some new level layouts. This is just an 'as is' hack for Amy herself, the rest I've tried to keep the same (as such can whoever keeps listing the S2 Amy wiki as not having Cream yet please stop).

I have been experimenting here and there...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Special thanx to ChelseaCatGirl who is helping with the Sonic 3 sprites.

Amy in Sonic 3 will likely happen eventually at least, though how long will depend how greatly the ASM differs from the first two games.

I'm wondering whether to replace Sonic with her or add a character slot like Hayate did for his Amy in S3C, is the latter difficult to do?

I'm pretty sure the down and A/B/C move was an upward dash in Advance 2.

17. MathUser

MathUser

http://sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=3&gameid=8&subid=1&artid=3

My bad I had pictured her rolled in a ball in that screenshot. If Sonic Advance doesn't use up+button to d o the spindash then it shouldnt be that way in the genesis version either.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator

Actually, you could probably take this opportunity to make Amy's shoes the proper colors now since you're in a whole new game. You're really only going to be able to replace Sonic's blues (of which there are three) as it is. In fact, you can make Amy a whole different shade of pink altogether.

Would you mind if I did an edit of those Sonic 3 sprites to illustrate my point?

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

If you want, I would appreciate anyone giving me pointers on Sonic 3 editing.

20. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Amy I the only one who feels like the Amy sprites in Sonic 2 would not be too bad to stick in Sonic 3?

I understand that they were done in a completely different art style, but I don't see anything wrong with that... a lot of the Sonic 3 Amy sprites I see... look like re-sprites of Sonic, the same when they do this for Shadow and Mighty.... it looks too much like Sonic. Tails looks similar to his Sonic 2 appearance, and Knuckles retains his Sonic 3 appearance in Sonic 2, and the Sonic 1 hack. I have no problem with characters standing out with slightly different styles... to me it really feels like I'm looking at a different character and not a re-drawing of a current one.

I think a big part of the reason, art style differences aside, is we are not conditioned to seeing Sonic 1-ish looking characters in the newer environments and styles of Sonic's 2 and 3. I think that if we were to see more of a blending of styles, our mindset could change. Sonic 2: S3 Edition and Sonic 2 Heroes are my evidence of this theory. At first... their mixing probably threw us off a bit (especially S2H's new title card) but I have grown accustomed to seeing S3's Sonic running through older environments... This is my argument for keeping Amy's design the way it is... If people backlash THAT BADLY, then change it.... but let's at least see how it looks first.