don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I think we should stick with chimpo's. I think it looks new and fresh, because of the new pallete and shading that it doesn't matter its and edit.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

Same shit, same colors (my colors), less fucking gloss. Gloss still sucks though.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I'm not a fan of gloss, but that actually looks great. It adds a lot more depth to the sprite.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, considering that Sonic isn't supposed to be covered in fur but in spines, it would actually make sense if he had some shines here and there.

6. Matwek

Matwek

Up the amount of fire/lava in the level that way you can increase the amount of orange lighting, maybe put a bit of an orange glow on the bottom of the mountains or in the sky

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I think the shine does acctually look better.

[​IMG]

It looks better like this I think.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Doesn't he look a bit too angry, though?

9. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Possibility of using the glossy sprites in open, shiny levels. Like daytime and or carnival, and un-glossy versions in dark places like caves and underground?

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Ok ok, sorry, I've been quite busy yesterday, and I see a lot of new propositions, here. That's great. Thanks everyone for getting this thread alive.

First, we need a lot of organisation here. Since for the moment we're not allowed to have a sub forum, I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

About the leader thing :
    Thank you everyone. But I'd like this project to have at least two or three leaders, because it's not China, and because I won't be able to lead alone. So I was thinking to ask Qjimbo, The Shade, and Iceknight to lead this with me. I'd like to know if those members agree, and if everyone here agree too.

It looks to me that this scheme idea is the best so far :
    [​IMG]

If later we have a sub forum, it will be divided like that I think.
    And each "important" decision, like the sprite styles, etc... will be taken with polls.
    So I've been looking who, here, could be in those teams, and the best choices so far, if the members agree, would be :

Chraphics/sprite team :
    Armada
    Rika Chou
    GameNerd Advance
    (And me, if it doesn't bother)

Art/sketches team :
    Resel
    Matwek
    Sonic Warrior TJ

Level Design team :
    Not the priority right now since we havent started to make some maps, but I think it has to be someone with good hacking skills.

Ideas/Concept Team (It will be mainly to organize this part and sum up the interesting ideas) :
    Malevolence
    STHX
    Zeldrak

Programming team :
    Saxman (I'd like him to be part of the project, and especially this part if we're using his engine)
    Damizean
    And some that proposed his help but I don't remember his name, sorry!!...

Music team (but since we havent had a lot of propositions here, it could change):
    Muteki
    Tweaker
    Dioxaz (I'll ask him if he wants)

Remember : Everyone's propositions is welcome, and that's not because somebody is in the art team that you can't submit some art propositions.

Now, my opinions about what's going on here :

First, I'd like everyone here to introduce his post by a "XXXX part" now (XXXX would be Sprites/Art/programming etc...) to make it more understandable.

Sprites/graphics part :

First, I think Armada's sonic sprites are the best so far, and I don't think gloss is a good idea.

Now, about the level ideas, I'd like everyone here to stop giving some propositions for now, since we really have to decide what kind of level the game will have. I mean :
    It won't be good if we have like 8 tropical zones. So I'd like that we think about QJimbo's post :

<!--quoteo(post=210220:date=Jul 24 2008, 01:38 AM:name=Qjimbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Qjimbo @ Jul 24 2008, 01:38 AM) [​IMG]

This is awesome. Really. And I think a zone like that would be great. But the Backgrounds doesn't have sonic feeling for the moment. I'll try later to make something about that if you don't mind.

About GameNerd Advance's zone : It looks a bit too "advance" for me, but it looks good.

And... I'm looking for an old thread in the hoaxes zone, were a member did some great job by making time zones in Sonic 1 and 2. (Cosmic's background is based on it) I'd like to find who did that...

Now, something really really important here : You have to remember that levels are based on 16x16 tiles, I know this is stupid, but try to make 16x16 tiles if it isn't already the case.

Art/sketches part :

The amusement park looks great, but the background will need to have some work on.
    It kinda remembers me Sunset Park. And that's great, because I really think we need to take some inspiration in the GG games.

Ideas/concept part :

I'd like every one here to take a look at the Green Hill Zone site, here :

http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son1/son1.html

It helps a lot to have some look at the main objects, ideas, and environnements of each game.

Well... I think that's all for the moment, I havent finished to read everyone's answer, so... Plus, not easy to talk in english :p

11. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
  12. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I want to hear what SAXMAN thinks. He's the man. Of sax.

13. That's fine.

Just for future reference, anything I post I'd be glad to let you modify and "improve". This is a community project after all. :)

14. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    He's a freak... in legend!

Anyway, Sonic using the new head and what I've done with Tails so far. Mostly, it's a palette change, but I've done a few edits to the head, and added tufts of fur to the chest. He still needs more work.

[​IMG] -OR- [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: His head seems small compared to Sonic. Maybe it's just me. Naw, he's just short. A change in the eyes seems to be in order.

15. Matwek

Matwek

16. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Phoebius if you want anyone else on the art team I would be glad to help. I don't have any sonic sketches as of now but here is some of my other work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. zeldrak

zeldrak

Character Designer (NOT Sonic Related) Member
    Portugal
    Contributions for Sonic Sequel
    Glad to be on board of the concept team Phoebius. I'll post some new concepts later, I'm working on them as we speak :D

EDIT: Forgot. I had some ideas for the title:

Sonic Blur
    Sonic Mobius Travels
    Sonic Boom (I like this one, since it is rather related to him.)

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the alleged arrangements for the main development staff for this game are pretty good.

Also any consideration of using my sprites or is that a no?

19. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    You'd be pissed if you had to save the world a fourth time.

Also, "Sonic the Hedgehog FX"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.