don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I meant I shat bricks because of how fucking awesome it is.

Also, OMGZ Genesis resolution, and border+hud

[​IMG]

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Its really.. Dark though. It needs a bit more contrast somewhere.

3. Yeah, I agree. I was trying to do that but really couldn't figure out the best way of doing it. Any ideas?

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I think it looks fine. It could be a nightime level. Maybe the second act you could go inside the mountians, and ride rocks floating on lava, for tons of platforming.

5. Yeah, I was planning on it being a nighttime level anyway.

I'd also like to incorporate melting platforms made of ice; fast melting (like you step on it and its gone) and slow melting (to add to the suspense). Sort of like how in Marble Garden Zone, the roof caved in on you? Same concept, but the floor is melting under you.

Eh, just ideas.

EDIT: And yes, we do need to get organized with this project.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Is that 100% original art? It's a great start! I look forward to see where you go with it.

7. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Even though it's two pages late and no one will probably listen to me =P
    Seconded.

Resel, that art work is amazing. It reminds me of a hoax I did a while back. :thumbsup:

8. Since it ended up getting a bit crushed underneath all the sketches;

[​IMG]

Reposted. It could also do with a name.

9. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Its hard to say if that would have any use. It looks like a desert with overgrow.

10. D:

How so?

11. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Well, the problem now is that there's no organisation. Everyone's just throwing everything in with nothing solid to stand on. If we just say "OMG AWESOME" to every bit of art someone posts before we have grand to stand on, we're gonna have a lot of shit and nothing to do with it. The only solid thing seems to be the roller coaster and thats just because it got really well received.

Phoebius needs to show up and lay some foundation for us so we can gather teams and form something.

12. I get that. I meant the desert comment. Should I try making it more "Green Hill-esque" or completely redo the BG and pass it off as a desert?

13. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I like it has it is. Its unique. I just don't wanna go "Yeah, thats awesome!" Then be like "oh, can't use it. Sorry."

14. Okay then. Well if at any point we fall short of a grassy stage...

Also, I feel that maybe to be a bit different, we should turn away from the grassy stage coming first. I'd quite like a Sega-themed city as the first stage -- like Phoebius's City stage concept, only with some Sega signs and such. That could lead to the Rollercoaster Stage, which could then lead to a Green Hill type level.

15. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Just because it was quite a while back, I wanna throw out the idea of Act AND Zone transitions. For example, you all know how Angel Island was. When you finished act 1 and the scores finished, the camera would recenter and BAM, act 2 was right there. No fading or anything. We should take that concept and add it to this. Like after you beat Eggman, and break open the capsule and recieve the act cleared, the timer would fade and then you would receive control of sonic, as if you were in an overworld. You would start to move foward, and the level would visibly change into the next zone, and after a certain point, the act and zone card would appear, and the timer fades back in and starts ticking.

Also, someone should talk to tweaker and ask about getting all this set up in the community projects forum. We need to take a few posts, perhaps a page and actually create a staff list. So that all this isn't just in a single thread.

16. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    As said before, I like the overworld idea. Though, the way you kinda describe it is like.. You just run forwards and boom, change.

17. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Well, I had other ideas. Such as, as you finish act 2 or 3, the level changes then as well. Or after the boss, and the capsule, the title card is the next act, but the zone is the same, but as you progress, then that's when the zone changes, like it wouldn't be immediate.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How about some Haunted Carnival? I feel that even the Mystic Cave music would fit in such a concept.

Just changed the palette from Rika's work, so it fits a llittle better with this theme:

19. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I think a carnival at night would look great. Lets use put lights on stuff.. Ooooo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.