don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I'm so gonna get bricked for this...

I'm not sure if I like the Sonic sprites recently posted. It really just looks like all you did was take the Sonic 3 sprites, switch to the Sonic 1 shading style and palette, and change the head slightly. I much preffer MKAmeX's Sonic, posted much earlier in the thread:
    [​IMG]
    It looks more 3D, more detailed, and more different in general than the regular Sonic 3K sprites. Shading wise, it's definately much more of an upgrade.

2. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
  3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sorry, but that sprite is extremely ugly. I much prefer the other sprites posted in the thread.

4. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :'(

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    That sprites ugly as sin, and it's just an edit of Sonic 3 also, and the pallete looks horrible.

6. In my honest opinion, I like the first sprites better.

Also, some people tend to forget this: if the sprite is detailed, it won't match if it's surroundings aren't detailed, thus,
    to much time is spent on art on art and not much on coding and other important things.

Personally, I think choosing the less-detailed choice is better.

7. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Don't forget that Sonic 1 to Sonic 2 sprites still looked similar but had they're differences. We can easily do the same for this game.

8. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    ...In that case,
    [​IMG]
    Am I doin it rite? D: (and yes, I know all I did was add some gloss, extra shading, and a mouth <_<)

EDIT: Eyeshine :D

9. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Sonic really shouldn't be glossy. He's a hedgehog with fur. This isn't Sonic Heroes.

10. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    He was (sort of) glossy in Sonic 2, and got even glossier in Sonic 3 - and S3D, and X-Treme, and so on. The gloss adds depth and gives the illusion of highlights. I'll admit that perhaps I overdid it, but the shine is nearly a must, I'd say. This isn't Sonic 1, either. :\

11. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I'd say Chimpo's ones look fine. I think the amount of contrast in the other ones just seem a bit too much.

12. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Fine. Whatever. But don't come drooling when that sprite comes back lookin' like a sexy motherfucker you'd bang in a second while the other gets full of STDs and wrinkles.

13. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Yeah, you're right.. Sonic was pretty shiny in Sonic 3. I guess I like Armada's sprites because they look great without shine.

14. Matwek

Matwek

Changing the subject from sprites to music, was listening to my mp3 player and New Order popped up on random. Anyone looking for musical inspiration should definelty give their best of a listen too, without the lyrics they wouldn't sound out of place next to any other sonic tracks I don't think (obviously if scaled down to the same quality).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77T0AncLKo
    This one reminds me of the Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1, not sure why though

15. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    [​IMG]
    Added more walking frames. Trying to decide which head for the side view I like better. I really like these sprites, especially with the Sonic 1 palette. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, I never noticed how the light hits so well.
    <--LIGHT---

On the note of music:
    GHZ music backwards.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-P4g0nsrg
    Fix the drums for win. It's a two sided song.

16. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Shine bothers me too, disliked the S3K sprites a little for it.

17. That Sonic looks so bad-ass...

I seriously like that one.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What PC2 said. I never felt that Sonic appeared particularly more glossy in Heroes than he did in S2 or S3.

I'd really like PC2's redone sprite without the mouth. It's hard to get a good-looking mouth on something that small.

(Missed this whole page, btw, hence my post seems a tad out of place.)

19. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Perhaps we should be thinking what would have happened to the Megadrive, 32x and Saturn if Sega hadn't of fucked up. Would the Megadrive have lived on with it's 32x add on? Would that have been the home of Sonic 4. Would Knuckles Chaotix exist?
    You could even ask the question was Crackers in development in Japan at the same time as S3K?
    Rather than just floating random ideas around I think this needs direction.

Art Stylisation?

Sonic CD-Crackers-Chaotix
    -or-
    Sonic 3-Sonic&Knuckles

I would vote for one of the more established members as leader, Trunks, Nineko, Phoebius, Jayextee, ect.
    I would also offer my own skills as a back ground artist. I am currently working on a Sonic 1 hack. I will show my current work if asked.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I did some more shit with the amusement park level.

[​IMG]

Sonic could run off the edge of a broken track, as Tails is shooting up from below in the Tornado, and for a few seconds, he's hanging onto the thing for dear life as it's rocketing upwards. During which, you'll have to move the plane from side to side collecting rings and dodging bombs/bullets/whatever. If the plane gets hit, all the rings drop, so you kinda need to keep collecting them. At the top, Sonic drops off and lands as Tails stabilizes the Tornado and flies off. Sonic spends the next few seconds rocketing straight down through corkscrews and loops and what not. I know some of the loops and shit seem straight out of Sonic Rivals, but Rivals is just...slow. I want to experience this shit with "blast processing" and all that.

And here's a quick boss idea.

[​IMG]

Robotnik can go backwards or forwards through the loops, leaving a trail of sparks that hurt Sonic in his wake. He shoots his little triple laser thing, which you can dodge by jumping on those platforms. Obviously, Sonic can Spindash through the loop and hit Eggman on the side that the sparks aren't coming out of, or you could possible hit him from platforms. The loop opens on either side when you're done so you can go free your animal friends and shit.

I'm going to spend the rest of the night brainstorming with a friend of mine. We're both getting into this, and he's even talking about wanting to contribute music.

By the way, the sprite for the coaster tracks I saw a page or so back looks really nice. Good job.

I was reading an article the other day about how grinding has become too much of a useless staple in the series, and less of a gimmick. These little gimmicks and shit I'm suggesting, they shouldn't be used for other levels. Obviously. If we can come up with original and crazy gimmicks for all the levels, this game could be mindblowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.