don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I don't care so much about the smaller details—if it works with the level design, and the level design works with it, I'm fine. The physics look quite a lot better than any of the 2D gameplay we've had since Unleashed and Rush rolled 'round, so I'm in a good mood despite what nitpicks I can see. Frankly, other than the little niggles, the attention to classic style has me wondering why the hell Sonic 4 failed so hard—and wondering if the Classic Sonic side of the game was directly inspired/ripped-off from Sonic Fan Remix. =3

On the whole, this looks awesome, and it seems to provide ample helpings of both the high-octane Unleashed style and a more physics-platformy Classic-oriented style, which in theory should mean this game has something for everyone... except the one and a half people who think Big the Cat and Silver the Hedgehog were good ideas, I suppose. I'm looking forward to picking this one up on launch day, for sure.

Also, in that interview-and-gameplay video, was that Classic Eggman I saw on the end-of-level signpost? =D

EDIT: Hey, just noticed: when modern Sonic boosts over a dash pad, he goes into a spin-dash-like roll for a moment, kind of like he did in Unwiished.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    no peel-out love? :(

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    How many times do I have to say how fucking redundant the Peel-Out was in the first place? >_>

At any rate, I didn't expect to see it, although I'm surprised they went with the running animation they did instead of trying to emulate brawl's figure-eight run.

It's surprisingly effective for a "regular running animation with motion blur" effect.

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I never cared for it either, It was rather pointless and slow. They're just going into so much detail I figured it might make it.

5. Bradley

Bradley

The Radioactive Dinosaur Member
    Scenic Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
    The Mega Man 18-2 Project Soundtrack
    Okay, after seeing that gameplay trailer, I WILL buy a PS3 for this game. Damn, this looks good.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Holy crap, I think I might get a 360 for my birthday.

7. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I'm seriously hoping Dreamcast era gets some love. Dreamcast era is my favorite in the franchise history.

Oh God it would be brilliant if this came out a month or two before Skyrim. I would love to be able to pass the time waiting for that title with this great little treat.

8. Bradley

Bradley

The Radioactive Dinosaur Member
    Scenic Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
    The Mega Man 18-2 Project Soundtrack
    ^

The game will cover Adventure pretty thoroughly, if I read correctly.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The background and level design to that trailer is damn right fucking awesome, the waterfalls, the depth of the rocks/hills, I like that I'm feeling a slight "woodland/camp" theme going on with it, like it's the wild outdoor, and it's giving the old totem pole, rocks and BG of the original GHZ brilliant justice =D

The rest I don't think I want to comment on, it gives me the heeby jeebies.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I sure hope they really go for Adventure-era in both design philosophy in addition to aesthetics. If they could include the more wide and explorable using the Unleashed mechanics. Since this whole game is a dream come true, I see no problem dreaming even more :)

11. Steven M

Steven M

Looks as good as Fan Remix without the wanky colour filter

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The only aspect of the level design that looks a bit weird to me is how HUGE the corkscrew is. Not saying it's necessarily bad, just that it looks a bit funny when you're used to the small ones as seen in Sonic 2/Sonic 4/Sonic Fan Remix. The 3D rendition of Green Hill Zone (now with real grass!) is beautiful to look at, and it makes me look forward to seeing other classic stages make their returns. I'm also holding out for that 3D rendition of S&K's Death Egg Zone I mentioned back when "Sonic Anniversary" was just a rumor.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

G4TV preview again.
    [​IMG]

In Colours and Unleashed these rainbow ramps (yellow in Unleashed's case) sent you into the air to do a QTEs. Looks like this game will do away with them for the most part at least and treat you to tricking instead. You see in the gameplay footage he hits the ramp, does no tricks and continues along fine. Hopefully this continues throughout the game and you're never punished with death for not tricking.

14. gold lightning

gold lightning

I really like what I'm seeing here. It seems to contain the Unleashed blast fest that I've gotten used to recently along with the gameplay that made me like this franchise in the first place. It actually seems to contain the best of both worlds so far.

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Liking the tricks idea, something I wanted in Unleashed initially.

16. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Classic Sonic is looking hella cute. I could hug it.

I can't wait for this.

17. corneliab

corneliab

I am FREAKING THE FUCK OUT over here. This game just looks completely awesome. The Unleashed-style sections are looking amazing and the classic sections are one hell of a cool treat.

This game can't come out quick enough!

18. I wonder if in the classic mode if they're going to refer to Eggman as Robotnik.

19. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I personally hope that one day Classic Sonic will be the "Toon Link" of the Sonic franchise.

You probably already know what I mean, but just in case, you know how in the Zelda series there's the regular adult Link and the cel-shaded Wind Waker Link, and they both have the same main characters but follow different storylines (though it's suggested Toon Link came after adult Link)? That's kind of what I'm hoping happens with modern and classic Sonic, so that we might see separate storylines and gameplay occurring for them in future games.

20. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

Wonder if Sega are holding out announcing the specific platforms it'll be released on because Nintendo haven't announced the HD Wii successor yet? I can't see them not releasing this on a Nintendo console. That just wouldn't make any sense.

And I'm glad they have classic style Robotnik back too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.