don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I just noticed something.

Classic Sonic's full-speed animation isn't the loopy run the old sprites had, but instead has a normal run with motion blur added.

and I'm perfectly okay with that.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    From the impressions I've read today Classic Sonic only uses 1 button for jumping and spin dashing.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't know I mean they liked Colors a pretty good amount.

Oh and I was just thinking the HUD may still be in development, mainly considering the fact that Modern Sonic's life icon is a classic Sonic head (Of course they could just share the same life icon if they used the Sonic Team Sonic head like they did in Unleashed)

@OSM: But how could that be if he comes to such a halt unless they have really good reaction time?

4. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. If it is only one button then that's a pretty weird bug.

5. Holy shit. I'm like, totally hyped about this game now.

Everything I saw on the videos looked perfect. The physics looked much more accurate than the one from Sonic 4. Even if it's not exactly the same as the classics, I'm totally cool with it as long as it "feels" good.

Spindash, classic eggman, classic springs? Chasing sequence with the fish robot instead of the whale?

That's it: I'm buying a freaking PS3 now. I would buy it just to play this single level. But there's still going to be more levels.

It's like it's christmas and I'm a 6 y/o again.

Thanks SEGA. I have just one question: How exactly do you guys prefer me to throw all my money at you?

6. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    It could be like Sonic CD and if you're really good with your timing, you can start Spin-Dashing in a middle of running.

It looks like they took a lot of inspiration from Sonic CD Sonic anyway.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Holy christ. I was holding off posting here until some information came about. Now that we have some, I can officially say:

I have a massive hardon for this game already.

I didn't (completely) lose my shit in 2005 with Sonic '06, I didn't either with Unleashed or Colours (although, I did with Sonic 4), but I can officially say this is the first game since Sonic Adventure 2 to actually evoke completely stunned feelings from me.

We all know that there is an extreme unlikelihood that Classic Sonic's gameplay will 100% mimic the Genesis trilogy, but who fucking cares? Both parts of this game actually look legitimately fun, from what little I've seen so far. I adored Colours, but I thought the 2d gameplay was lacking. This absolutely makes up for it. The level layouts in this don't look like they were made with the Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage editor like Colours' 2d sections were! That is a massive improvement.

Keep this shit up, Sonic Team. If this is the format you will use for future Sonic games, fucking do it. I will never stop buying a game that mixes modern and classic gameplay, even if Classic Sonic is not present. Having independent levels for 2D/3D gameplay makes noticeable improvements to the overall quality of this game compared to previous tries with this format.

The fact that Classic Sonic is in here is a nice touch, no doubt, but him not being in here would hardly change my optimism.

I am happy. It seems Sonic Team finally figured out what they did right and what they did wrong from 2006 to now, and it shows.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Two things...

[​IMG]

This wouldn't work.

And two, I'm so curious if this is a "test" game to see which style of sonic is more popular. Will they both branch off? (E.G. Shadow got his own game, so they treat C.Sonic as his own character)

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I doubt it. I get the feeling the Sonics will meet up with the classic friends in their respective times. Tails in Sonic 2 stages, Knuckles in S3, Shadow in SA2... I don't know how they'll work that, they haven't changed significantly enough to incorporate two Shadows, but who knows?

10. <a href="http://kotaku.com/#!5793017/sonic-generationes-is-like-a-dream-sonic-game-except-its-real" target="_blank">Kotaku says there won't be any other playable characters besides the two Sonics.</a>

11. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

Isn't Shadow an artificial lifeform? probably he didn't exist at the time of old Sonic.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Technically Shadow should still be frozen in space at the time of old school sonic

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You need to replay SA2.

14. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Well..

According to the story, he would be alive... Just, sealed away in a capsule.

EDIT: Pffff. double ninja'd. But I predict we'll see Shadow, albeit modern Shadow as he doesn't have a classic counterhalf.

15. Shadow was explicitly listed in the Iizuka interview.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

SA1 spindash confirmed.
    Source

Yeah, so you can spindash the classic way or the SA1 way. No biggie, right? This is giving you the choice whichever way you like, and I'd guess that tapping X while rolling uncurls you too? I kinda hope that's what the player was doing before every ramp and such. They made C.Sonic run in mid-air, but if he still uncurls that'd be a total let down. Not a massive issue at all really, but still...

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I love that Sega exclusively stated to Kotaku that C. Sonic will have momentum and won't stop cold. That alone is enough to get me flippin' excited for Classic sections.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Cool so there's both present. This will be good for speed runs/general abuse towards the game, just like in Sonic Adventure 1 :D But the normal way is still in for the hell of it.

Oh wait, I see what you did there sega, this is your way of giving classic Sonic a boost button without giving him a boost button :ssh:

19. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Mystery solved, I actually like having both methods for the spin dash available for use. Very clever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.