don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    I have to admit that the spin dash change scares me a little. At first I got Sonic Adventure vibes with Sonic being able to enter the spin dash mode while running, but, thankfully, it's not the same. I'm curious to see if this change is for the better.

The a la Sonic 4 thing after the slope, needs to be fixed now.

It seems like they got the physics, I hope they don't ruin the game with things like that.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

He can instantly charge a spindash ala SA1 or stop, crouch and charge like he used to in the classics. As far as choices go , this is a good one to have.

3. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    But the whole game is rehashes! Well, rehashing the art in any case.

4. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.

Well... yes. The entire premise of this game, as I understand it, is remade zones from previous Sonic games. So, if rehashing is against your principles, this probably won't be your cup of tea. However, if I've misinterpreted your statement, I totally apologize for being a dick.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well that's like, your opinion. I had fun with Sonic 4, even if it wasn't perfect. Not only that but like I've mentioned, there are elements that are immediately apparent in these gameplay videos that blow Sonic 4 out of the water. Fangame it is not. But if you don't think you'll have fun with it, that's fine too. I suppose that's why you're making your own game, isn't it!

Besides, I only said that before to mitigate rage. I was tired of hearing people go on nonstop about how crappy it is :colbert:

That aside, I have to wonder which stages lend themselves to a bit more 3D exploration. Green Hill Zone is, by it's nature, quite bland. But I would not settle for an on-rails Flying Battery. No sir.

6. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    :rolleyes:

If they're gonna rehash "classic" Sonic, then I personally think it would make absolute sense to rehash a classic level (such as Hydrocity). Classic Sonic without a classic zone (albeit with a new layout) to play him in? Seems a bit pointless to me.

10 bonus points to whoever said classic sonic was gonna end up looking like Mickey Mouse :v:

7. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    I jumped 10 pages so sorry if this was already said, but has anyone noticed the fact that there are 90 degree turns for C.Sonic? And that everything in the environment looks absolutely huge proportionally?

I personally don't think it is 'down while running to spindash'. For all we know, they could have just hit left, slowed down and spindashed.

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Well, I seem to have taken the position of Classic Sonic's #1 detractor here, so I don't think it makes sense to rehash HIM either. But that's beside the point.

On an entirely seperate basis, the rehashing of levels is of no interest to me either. I've played GHZ and its innumerable clones enough times before. Give it a fucking rest already, SEGA. I mean, you re-release Sonic 1 itself as part of another compilation bundle every 6 months. We really don't need it AGAIN. :rolleyes:

And another thing. Didn't we all complain when Sonic 4 vomited the same endlessly repeated levels back up at us last year? If y'all like rehashes due to some inexplicable Groundhog Day fetishism then at leas that I could understand. But the inconsistency of "BAWWWW SONIC 4 CONTAINS GHZ REPEAT NO. 9000 I HAET U SEGA" followed by "HOLY SHIT GENERATIONS HAS GHZ REPEAT NO. 90001 I LOEV U SEGA" seems a little confusing.

(This is not attributing the above attitude to you sepcificly, Dawg; idk, you might have been a feverant defender of S4's malodorous pool of level copypasta. But rather I address what seems to be a general rationality malfunction amongst the assembled e-crowds)

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Everything looks huge, yeah. It's kind of like Heroes in that way. Not that I mind- it looks good regardless.

And again, there's two ways to spindash.

S4 did it badly. We got ugly rehashes with zero imagination, terrible music and atrocious gameplay to boot. It was also supposed to be a sequel to the classics, which it managed live up to in absolutely no way. A nostalgia trip that failed miserably at invoking any positive feelings. This time we're seeing GHZ remade to 2011 standards, and everything is looking top notch. It may well be GHZ, but we've never seen it like this before. And we've never played it with modern 3D gameplay either. I think we'd all be bitching if it was like SA2 GHZ, but it's not. It looks like it's had some real effort and care gone into it.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

There's a lot of detail put into C!Sonic. The jump and spring (remastered) sounds, the twist while jumping from a spring, two different springs, the about to fall animation (which they focused at, I wonder why :specialed:). Not sure why if there's uncurling after a spindash. It might be a button press like in the adventures. However, he does uncurl on a curve. :( It's my only problem with this. Sonic is a hedgehog and he should behave like one.

I've always loved the Unleashed style, so I'm happy that it's yet making another return (and I hope they somehow continue with it) with M!Sonic. The only problems I have with it are the 3D sections, which are just a small and thin corridor, as usual. They should seriously fix that one out. 2D sections seem to be best, yet again. No QTEs in sight and just two rail sections (one of them not very long and the other looks very interesting). I have no major complaints.

I noticed the ratio between environment and Sonic model has inflated greatly, but I like it. Dirt clouds have been toned down from S4, which is so much of a plus for me. Voice acting and it's Smith. That takes a weight off my back. Sonic's friends are showing up too, eh? I don't mind. I wonder what's the deal with Shadow and if Amy is going to have her classic model or a classic model based on the modern somehow. Eggman has his classic model, so I'm hopeful it's the former.

I'm fucking excited. I'm a bit more than I was for Colours too.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Did anyone else catch from the gameplay in the Iizuka interview, Modern Sonic's boosting no longer kills the bass, just increases the drum tempo? My subwoofer thanks you, SEGA.

12. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    It's Shamar Day with a pallete swap, Blood.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<a href="http://www.sonicparadise.net/2011/04/sonic-generations-sera-doblado-al.html" target="_blank">SONIC X VOICES TO RETURN!</a> (translated version)

... for the French version. This game is apparently getting dubbed in different languages for Europe. That's pretty awesome, no?

14. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I wonder... what will do Sega with classic Sonic after this game? Sega will separate each of both Sonics and will make two different series?

Or... in the end of this game in order to defeat the last boss C.Sonic and M.Sonic will pull a DBZ and do:

[​IMG]

And Sonic will look like:

[​IMG]

Now the fanbases are reunified :v:

15. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Uhm... you're joking. Right?

Right?

While you're entitled to not like the idea of rehashing levels, don't come in here thinking that no effort was put into any of this. That's actually the most ignorant thing I've heard you say. This is not Shamar with a new coat of paint. How can any sane person come to that conclusion?! I can't even fathom how anyone can see no effort put into this.

The entire point of Sonic Generations is to be a throwback, to celebrate the 20th year anniversary of Sonic. Sonic 4 was utter tripe with what it did, Sonic Generations is giving us a creative and mind blowing new look at the most iconic level in the Sonic franchise.

Yes, this game rehashes levels. That's the entire point. If you're expecting anything different, you're going to be immensely disappointed.

16. Regarding stages from Sonic 2, Sonic 3K and Sonic Advance, I get the feeling they're basically going to include 'Angel Island' and 'Death Egg' as catch-all, iconic levels from the franchise. Amalgamations of different incarnations of stages, if you get what I mean. Green Hill Zone doesn't look to be just Green Hill Zone - it's the different incarnations from over the years, smashed up into one hybrid version, complete with Emerald Hill elements too.

Other stages I can see happening are the San Francisco city place from SA2 (and possibly Shadow?) and the ARK because both are multiple appearance locations, so they can pack more self-reference into one stage (even Unleashed, after all, only had some 8 locations maybe). Or Ice cap, which appears in both S3K and Adventure continuities. Remaking one-off stages like Hydrocity when they could remake multiple-representation stages like these seems wasteful, to me at least.

17. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm busy all day and then this shit happens? Fuck me.

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    This looks fuckin' gorgeous. Modern Sonic's gameplay kinda looks too fast for my sluggish non-skills to control, kinda likea PS360 Unleashed, but Classic Sonic's looks pretty spot-on to an untrained eye such as mine (in my defense, I can also see how S4:E1 borked up massively in that same regard).
    Now if only I had one of those consoles. :v:

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    One thing I just thought of.

This game better have the classic end of act jingle back. Sonic 1 and 2s or Sonic 3s I don't care. Just use one of those please.

20. Will probably have the S3K one for Classic and the Adventure/2/Heroes/'06 one for modern, since they're both just different versions of the same song and are pretty timeless~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.