don't click here

Zone 04a : "Canadian Zone"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Badniks must include lumberjacks and curlers. Possibly hockey players.

2. Matwek

Matwek

I didn't mean quite that harsh, more like the bits on the MS sonic in the Jungle zone where there would be waste high water that slowed you down if you tried to run upstream or pull you along if you ran downstream. Or it could be avoided altogether by simply jumping straight out of it

3. Rokkan

Rokkan

I really hate how this level is becoming.
    I don't think we should base this so much on Canada's environment, this level seems to be too much realistic, and less Sonic-ish.
    However, I really would like an Autumn-based level, so my thoughts are:
    Instead of a lake, I think we should make something like Lost Woods of the Legend of Zelda, but Autumn themed. A lot of trees diversification, but nothing that escapes the orange-y or redish theme of the stage. Background however, would be a de-saturated blue one, with lots of tree black sillhouetes, to give the idea of deep woods. There will have platforms and structures made of pure wood, like in Mazuri.
    Also, rivers and a wood waterwork in the stage would be nice.

4. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Seriously, if you're going for a 90's feel you need to perpetuate offensive stereotypes

Seriously. :)

5. Matwek

Matwek

If we make the stage into a deep forest level then it will end up too similar to the jungle level

6. Rokkan

Rokkan

what jungle level?
    last time I checked there was no jungle level what the hell :)
    unless you mean the MS Sonic 1 one.

7. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Rainforest Ruins zone, for this project.

8. Rokkan

Rokkan

But tropical jungle =/= highlands forest, also, the element emphasized in that stage is the Aquatic Ruin-like ruins and water, while in this one would be the woods itself. Plus, this level's color scheme is completely diferent.
    So I don't see much similiarities.

9. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    I don't either. But making this level completely inside a forest is the problem matwek's probably pointing out.. Because that's what Rainforest ruins is supposed to be, if I recall correctly.

10. Matwek

Matwek

Yeah, exactly my point. If its limited to just dense vegetation then even though they might not look similar you'll have a bigger problem with coming up with origonal ideas for both. Im not saying its impossible just limiting creatively.

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, the way I was envisioning it was a forested mountain zone during an overcast day. While a lot of it would be forest, there'd be various other areas, like passing by caves in the mountain (if not going in them), skipping along the rivers passing by (or being swept into a lower path if you fail at that), etc.

I like the rickety wooden high path idea, as well; that'd give the level a unique personality, compared to the jungle, which instead has ruins and vast underwater areas to explore to define itself (at least, I'm guessing - I haven't read the topic).

But I really think the stage has to be overcast... it really just clicks for autumn. 'Sides, every OTHER stage has a blue sky :P

12. Rokkan

Rokkan

...I really don't see how this limits level gimmicks and design as well :(
    Rainforest Ruins will have ancient ruins traps and structures, and we might put a few jungle-ish gimmicks, but the highlight is the ruinistic feel of the stage, and the water, because as far as I read this is that damned water level that everyone hates lol
    (except for hydrocity, everyone loves that zone <3)
    While this one would have a lot of wood structures and waterworks, and most of the stage would be really high up the forest, in huge wood highways and platforms connected to the giant Autumn trees of the stage, and instead of water that you can sink into, like in most Sonic zones, there would be very very few river areas which water currents will drive you to death.

EDIT:...What the hell? I thought Underground Zone and Rainforest Ruins Zone were the same one!
    That's... A little too much of forest-ish zones, guys.

13. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I do agree on that point. While there's not enough industrial zones.

14. Matwek

Matwek

I think the underground zone is going to be more sewer like then vegetation heavy, but I guess your right that there isn't enough industrial zones. Theres always time and space to fit them in though, we're supposed to just be concentrating on the first few levels at the moment so we don't get too bogged down with half completed content and never get anything finished.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Underground zone is sorta like the similarly named zone from Sonic 2 GG along with Aquatic Ruin.

The jungle zone is probably like the related zones in Sonic 06 and SA2.

This zone is probably like Mushroom Hill without the mushrooms.

16. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    <!--quoteo(post=249656:date=Nov 24 2008, 11:44 PM:name=muteKi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (muteKi @ Nov 24 2008, 11:44 PM) [​IMG]

17. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    That kind of overlaps with "Rainforest Ruins", though. I mean, they're both old ruins of big castles... just one's in a jungle and one's underground. Redundant much?

Either way, neither stage is an autumnal forest, so I suppose we should argue about this there.

18. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Okay, I thought of an idea for a badnik. I'll get you guys a picture if I find the time to draw one.

Anyway, it has elements of the Clucker from Wing Fortress Zone, Clamer from Carnival Night Zone, and Mad Mole and Mushmeanie from Mushroom Hill Zone.

When you first encounter it, all it is is a pile of Maple Leaves (similar to how the Mushmeanie appears as nothing more than a mushroom cap). Once the player gets within it's "range" the leaves flip backward like on a hinge, and the badnik pops out like the Mad Mole does. Then like Clamer or Clucker, it fires off a projectile, then again like Mad Mole, it ducks back in. And it can't be taken out while it's in it's hole.

And possibly a way to make it supreme torture is that if you get too close (like on top of or almost on top of it) while it's still down, it won't pop up. Creates the need to time the jump to where it lands on it when it comes up.

Also, to optimize it's firing range, we could have the pile of leaves flip up into the background and flip back down into the foreground, and when the badnik is gone, it remains as a background element.

If you like it, go ahead and use it. If not, don't.

19. Rokkan

Rokkan

Yeah, that's my thinking, we should make Rainforest Ruins and Underground the same Zone and create another zone, something more industrial.

20. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Rainforest ruins doesn't have to be related to ruins, if it is the problem... We had in mind a "Rainy savanah" zone like, with rain and different levels of water in the forest.