don't click here

Ya know what Sonic might need?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vaiyt, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tails Adventures gave me a really strong Megaman vibe. It's definitely one of my favorite GG games, but I've never made it past level 2.

2. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    dsrb is correct, I meant a non-Sonic character.

3. Holy crap! So this whole time Dimps has been making sequels to Socket?

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Why?

5. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I'll tell you what Sonic needs,

A good swift kick in the ass.

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Difference being Mario and Metroid made it work well in 3D through the duration of their 3D Careers - Sonic did not.

7. dsrb

dsrb

Since Tiranno brought that up, I (somewhat guiltily) keep seeing this topic's title and thinking of Lobotomy's signature: "[. . .] Then push him off a cliff."

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I was hoping this topic would be about colostomy bags.

9. Emerl

Emerl

From what I've seen of "spiritual successors," they're rubbish. If they attempt to make it part of the Sonic canon, I'd de-canonize it, and I probably wouldn't play it through even if they didn't.

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    If we could get the Sonic CD development team working on an Original Platformer In No Way Connected To Sonic the Hedgehog or Related Characters I'd be very happy.

I'd definitely rather see classic gameplay with new characters than the current shit.

11. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    [​IMG]
    Never said it was good BTW
    Once again, this has nothing to do with my post. I brought up Mario and Metroid because Vaiyt used them as examples. But since you bring it up, the only reason they "did well" in 3D, whatever that even means anymore, is because they're so basic in the first place. It's a little more of a task when you have to factor the speed, pinball physics, and the like in a 3D environment.

Somehow I knew I made a big mistake by making that post earlier, but I left it there anyway. But if anyone else wants to tell me that Sonic 4 or Sonic in 3D is terrible in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with it, please feel free to say so. Meanwhile I'll just go back to lurking/editing the wiki like I usually do, since it's impossible to have any sort of conversation in this community without getting jumped on by an angry mob.

+ - (someone split and trash this faggotry please)  

12. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    OK to everyone who posts that fucking facts and opinions thing, there's a thing called OBSERVATION. When large groups of people all observe the same occurrences, no matter how non-specific and scientific their findings, it is still empirical data that you can form a conclusion off of. So the next time you think you're so damn cool going "well that's just your opinion man" THINK. It's a valid claim that the Sonic Adventure camera system is faulty. No, most people cannot explain in code why it has issues, but they have observed their own reactions whilst playing. That doesn't mean that their observation is any less true because it's "just their opinion", sales records and reviews alone can prove that sonic has been on a steady decline as a franchise. And it can also be proven that SEGA has blatantly lied to their fanbase.

tldr; sonic 4 is a bad game and SEGA should feel bad.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Oh right, forgot to respond to this:

Sonic Adventure was Sonic's Mega Man X. We've been riding the shockwaves of those games ever since (though they've been attenuating gradually since '06), and coincidentally, yes, it didn't work out! A spiritual successor within the series today would only be repeating and amplifying the very same mistake that ruined it to begin with, and a spiritual successor through a different property altogether would likely fall flat for the same point Dude brought up.

The sort of gameplay that defined the franchise is destined to die with it. The closest we're ever going to get is through those ball labyrinth games that are all the rage these days.

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I find Sonic the Hedgehog more appealing than a lifeless pinball, frankly. Also, aren't we jumping the gun with Sonic 4 nao, Dude?

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That's why you put monkeys in the pinballs, gosh.

16. ancara

ancara

Ya know what I think really needs to be done?

Get SoJ to stop acting like they're the only part of the company that should do anything important ever. Seriously, SoA and SoE get the short end of the stick now a days, getting stuck doing the 11th billionth Sonic 1-3&K port, iphone games nobody cares about, and other such stuff. Not only that, but it seems like SoJ is pretty much intent on removing any American and/or European Sonic names, story or whatever else is done.

Basically, as far as I'm concerned, SoJ by now doesn't really care about Sonic, just the money his stuff makes. SoA and/or SoE could possibly make a decently-made Sonic title (maybe even the next Sonic 2), but SoJ won't let them near any future major Sonic games unless it's for text/VA translation or other small tasks like that, and instead make them do stuff that'll either be forgotten soon enough or end up being rushed too much.

There's also the fact that when it comes down to it, the people in SoJ just won't listen to criticism, whether it be fans or even their own employees. They're almost like your typical DA "original character do not steal" artist who flips the eff out the second you point out flaws with their work, and the same almost goes with when they let others (like Dimps) do titles. The only times that complaints seem to truely be listened to by now is either if it'll seriously hurt their sales or if people complain about it long enough.

I might seem a bit negative and annoyed here, but the point I'm getting across is that the true problem here is SoJ and thier ways with the series after a certain point. Sorry if I'm wrong, or if I'm acting too negative about SoJ, but I just had to finally express my opinion on what truely needs to be given the ol' stink eye to.

(I don't mean to offend or annoying anybody, just needed to get that out of my system. I just hope I didn't end up saying the wrong stuff here. :< )

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Holy shit we have a winner.

Too bad it will never happen, the Japanese have all of the money/shares involved with SEGA. Your only option to make good sonic games in America or Europe is to buy the company back.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sounds like a paradigm change that could really work, frankly. It could also conceivably be impossible, but there's room for some wishful thinking.

19. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
  20. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Just use Team Sonic's Team Blast, Tails kicks Sonic in his cheeks for maximum velocity!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.