don't click here

Ya know what Sonic might need?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vaiyt, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Let's face the facts, people. Classic Sonic is dead. It's not coming back. Gone. È finito. Sega has the rotten corpse of ye olde hedgehogge nailed to the ground, and sometimes they wiggle his jaw to pretend it's alive.

Meanwhile, there's this unique play style Sonic had, and nobody else managed to reproduce. The games directly influenced by Sonic either mimicked the superficial aspects while sporting shit gameplay (Awesome Possum) or were good by being something else entirely (Sparkster). Scarcely any of them tried incorporating some game design, and none succeeded.

Compare to the massive influence Super Mario Brothers and Metroid had in several genres. I bet even Wonder Boy was more influential than Sonic in that camp. Sega's only legacy was furry mascots and attitude.

With that in mind, why not an entirely new character? A different series, with similar gameplay. Innovation in a completely different direction from Sega, preserving the pinbally goodness at the core. Someone, somewhere, should be trying this!

Anybody out there who'd fund such a thing if it existed?

Am I crazy, super crazy, or super duper set-own-pants-on-fire crazy? :specialed:

(in any case, whatever, at least I stopped lurking for once)

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I believe this game was called "Billy Hatcher".

3. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Or Ristar or Nights into Dreams

4. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I love Sonic too much to see something replace him, but if you're suggesting a new character to go alongside Sonic then I'm ok with that. (It'd just feel... wrong for a different character to copy Sonic though).

5. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]

Hi there.</div>

6. dsrb

dsrb

I think VB.NET meant a new franchise. If not, fair point!

7. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    [​IMG]

It may not be the grandiose "Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as you truly imagined it!" fanboy's fantasy, but this is as close as it's ever going to get. Sonic's gameplay style is just too unique and different for any other character. Think about it - what do Mario and Metroid have that's specific to them? Flying and shooting guns? Not really that hard to play off of these days.

I don't think Sonic needs a rip-off of any sort at the moment. Especially not one that involves Shadow, considering how that blew over last time. I think the fact that nobody can replicate Sonic's unique style is what part of what makes him so great, just like The Ren & Stimpy Show or the Kirby games.

EDIT: Lol, I KNEW I was going to get flamed for this. Posted accidentally while I was trying to preview so I decided to just leave it.

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Well if elements of Vectorman were incorporated into the Pinball physics-style platforming....

9. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2 anyone?

10. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    If you boosted the speed of Klonoa about 50% I recon you'd be about there lol

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Sonic is so iconic, in gameplay and character that if you tried making a sonic clone that was also a gameplay engine clone, you'd get a thousand people calling foul because you put a loop in your 2d platformer with momentum and pinball physics.

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Everytime I hear stupid shit like this it's like one giant slap to the face.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Tough shit, considering it's the truth.

What sort of "successor" are we talking here, anyway? Some kind of Mega Man X-style spin-off? (Ugh. Mega Man X worked fine, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the same thing working with Sonic; his world is just too inherently colorful.) An entirely different franchise? (No arguments there, but it has been tried before with, say, Billy Hatcher. I'm more than game for another attempt, however.) A reboot? (That's kind of what Sonic 4 is attempting, regardless of its success at it.)

14. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    How about Jazz Jackrabbit? He was Epic's Sonic, but with a gun, and an artist that I became an instant fan of for his second game. (Dean Dodrill)

15. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    How 'bout an extremely obscure blatant rip-off way back from 1993?

Hm. Not sure what happened to the music, but it already looks like an Advance game given the propensity of booster mechanics in conjunction with basic loops. Also super-bright stages. Seriously, though, check out some of the music from other videos. It sounds great. Classic Genesis sounds indeed.

Sonic's not very innovative. Not in good ways anyways. The only times during the Genesis era where Sonic really grew at all were the Genesis sequels, Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, and Knuckles Chaotix. Most of the handheld games were the same deal with hit-or-miss variations on gameplay, and most of them kinda sucked. Unfortunately Tails Adventure and Tails Sky Patrol were neither particularly popular or fun to play, and few people had ever even played Knuckles Chaotix because it was on the 32X. Prolly' wasn't that good, but it sure as hell was different and interesting. Sonic CD's only criticisms involve music and some contention over level design, which I considered a welcome expansion of Sonic 1's base level design, and the fact that the SEGA CD bombed. Then 3D came and introduced hub worlds and the homing attack, neither of which avoided overall contention from fans and gamers alike, and one of which has pretty much been spread too thinly across the entire spectrum of Sonic games. Then there's Shuffle, which wasn't quite that good, and Sonic the Fighters, which was okay. The games that would've been made by STI, like Sonic Satam, Sonic 16, and Sonic XTreme, never saw the light of day sadly.

It seems like SEGA hardly knew what to do with Sonic back then once he became a gaming titan, so they tried doing everything and failing. Today, they only barely seem to be figuring it out. The only thing that hasn't changed is that SEGA's about making money, whether it's by re-releasing old games or making decent to mediocre games carried largely by brand recognition.

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Tails Adventures was awesome, actually. I wouldn't mind seeing more games based around Tails; guy lends himself to a more traditional platformer pretty well, actually. Sure, you'll have to account for his ability to fly somehow, but it's doable.

17. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I agree, Tails' Adventures was spectacular.

Also, Spiritual Successor you say? Behold: Runman: Race Around the World. It's not a blatant copy, and it has its own original style mostly, and tries some new things.

18. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Ristar could be good. There was only one game in the series (2 if you count the game gear version) and they can always change the gameplay style, there were'nt enough games to decide the official gameplay style. Like in megaman 1 there were only 6 bosses and the clear points sucked ass. Megaman 2 was the actual thing where everything started from. But, Ristar was good enough to be the classic game.

They should make a sequel already.

19. You people have to realize that "as close as it's ever going to get" doesn't mean it's good! You gotta stop settling for crap just because "it's the best SEGA can do"!

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well in the most literal sense he's not really settling. There will only be one Sonic 4, and even if this game doesn't look like it deserves the title at the end of the day it does have the title.

Unless of course they scrap the title the day before the release it and change it to like Sonic Classic (I know that's the name of Hez's fan game but still) or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.