don't click here

Would this be possable

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by vergo, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vergo

vergo

Pending Member
    Would it be possable to make a rom with all the mega drive sonics on it ? I was thinking about it. I saw a rom with lots of specal stages in it. I was thinking would it be possable with all the mega drive sonic roms?

2. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Well, it's been done before... I suppose if you're just wanting to emulate, and your emulator doesn't care how big the ROM is, you could just put them all in one binary image and fix a little selector program on the front. I you want to run it on the actual hardware, you'll have to compress them first.

3. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    It has? O_o

Oh, and someone has asked this before. Linky.

4. vergo

vergo

Pending Member
    Yeh im going to try and do that but I need to know how. what software do I need. if any one knows tell me please. I know that the gens only opens 4mb roms I think , it would be a lot of megabytes if all of the, are togather. that's why im only going to do it with sonic 1 , 2 ,3.

5. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    In that thread, Rika Chou refers to a "6-in-1" cart. That's what I meant. Sorry.

Also, that thread raises some interesting issues; namely, that many of the JMP, BRA, and MOVE instructions refer to offsets which would be incorrect if you simply merged the ROMs. You would need to either include code that remaps the start of the ROM being used to 00h, or you would need to recompile the source, making sure that the code starts at the correct address.

EDIT: Punctuation. Must remember to use semicolons to seperate subordinate clauses. :P Also, clarity.

EDIT 2: Clarity again.

6. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: CLEAN UP UR GRAMMARZ
    Read the topic. It's impossible for an amature to do what you want to do. Heck, it'll probably be an extremely difficult task for a techie to do. Maybe it would even take Sega a while to do it the way we would; hex editor and snasm68k, to be emulated on Gens.

Seriously though, read stuff that we post for you and take in the general conclusion to previous case studies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.