don't click here

My Hackage quest!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Taruko, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Hey! I was thinking... Is it possible to combine two games via hex? Kinda like when you attach S3 to S&K. Ya see, I was thinking..... I wanted to make a hack that people could play for hours to come, remembering the sweet memories of youth, one that would go throughout Sonic forums everywhere! One that the less informed might confuse for the real deal..

So it came to me! How about I create the whole sonic story from the first game up to the highest possible. Just maybe...... I could...

Just imagine that sonic 2 and 3 would have lock on. So lock S3 on S&K, S2 on S3 and S1 on S2. After that just add a crapload of editing and revising, and you've got The Story of Sonic or, "Sonic Legends" as I prefer to call it.
    Basically, Telling the story of sonic using multiple media forms and hacking..

Ok I really wish I had some more experience doing this, So I will need help.

First and most important: Is it possible to attach or "fuse" alot of .BIN sonic ROMS together into one big, uneditted, sheet of hex? Next I need to know what that other person.... (InsaneSonikkuFan? was it?) wanted to know. If it's possible to use the slide show intialization data from the Sonic 2 ending and move it around to tell a story by implimenting our own art... Then I need to know how to get rid of the ending data between each game and put it together to make a SUPER ending!

By here, I need to know how to convert each game engine to use the same type of gameplay when in normal gameplay mode. So it doesn't seem like your playing a crappy version of Mega Collection and instead a big game of doom...

Then, How to make all the game music playlists into one big playlist and how to freely edit and add music. After that I need to know alot more crap...
    The list could go on forever *cry*

If you are interested in my plot for this game, and have skill in hacking, Would you want to help me with the stuff? I'd appriciate it, and I will be willing to reward you in whatever way I can. You name it! And the plus side is that any help from anybody could probably speed up the process 10X.

So..uhm... Thank you for your time! Any tips and help guides are greatly appriciated..uhm.....uhhh.....Thanks!

Brain: "Get to work MORON!"
    Me: "Fine fine.....stingy...."

~Taruko~

2. Magus

Magus

Fallen Hacker From The Past Tech Member
    Paris, France
    Translating Grandia 2 PC to French
    Well, I might not be very useful here, but I can answer your most important questions. Technically, a Genesis ROM can't be greather than 4 MB, if I remember correctly. Sonic & Knuckles is already 2 MB, and so is Sonic 3. Well, I'm unsure about this - perhaps someone will confirm - but isn't Gens capable of "supporting" 8 MB ROMs ?

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    This would be near impossible. The closest thing that could be done is a Sonic Collection type thing. A single ROM that contains Sonic 1, 2, 2&K, 3&K, spinball, and bean machine. This could be done like those "6 in 1" type carts. You could have to decompile each game into a source code, then recompile it so the pointers and crap would all match different offsets.

I am not sure about this, but I know that emulators can handly at least 6 MB.

4. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Crap.. There's limit's now? But wait, Gens can support a 107MB ISO,
    does that matter at all?

Rika Chou: No no no.. Just S1-S3K. But even that might be to impossible, maybe I'm too much of an optimist after all....

Either way, Spinball and bean machine were based off that old SatAM thing right?
    in the Spinball bonus you could break Sally, Antione, and Roter, etc. out of those capsules. So I wouldn't deal with that..

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Genesis has different limitations than the Sega CD.

6. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Let's see. S3&K.BIN = 4 MB/ S2.BIN = 1 MB/ S1= I don't know yet...
    If it works out right, I should be able to make it work... hopefully....
    I knew that I was being too over-imaginative when I said ALL the ROMS.

I just Need the story... Not a mega 6 in 1....
    I'm also gonna be taking out alot of stuff, like the unneccesary ending and title screens. So If possible I just stay with S1-S3&K...

7. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    S1 = 512 KB/0.5 MB

S2 = 1 MB

S3&K = 4 MB

Total = 5.5 MB

Size-wise, it looks like it'd work, but hacking-wise, that would be incredibly difficult. I'm not going to say "impossible," though, because 1) it's good to look on the bright side (sometimes) and 2) it may be possible down the road. The question is whether or not someone would go through all that work.

8. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Yeah, I know.... But if there was a team of people, it would be alot easier...

I'm optimistic at times, but I know, it just might be possible! I mean, people have already identified most of each of those games anyway...
    And I'm sure the utilities available to us and an Iron Will can get it to work! I know I want that hack to work out, but it's just a matter if anyone else cares....

9. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    S3&K is full of duplicated crap (eg music, have you ever noticed how all the s&k music is also in the s3 rom?). So if someone was to completely decompile the ROM and put it back together again with all the duplicates removed and pointers changed etc etc, it would probably lose at least a megabyte.

Then you have the fact that the S&K rom also has S2 objects in S3&K format (so that you can play Knuckles in S2). These are totally useless in the S3&K rom. Aside from the obvious palette problems (which was, apparantly, Sonic Team's excuse for not letting you play Knuckles in S1), the S1 objects would also have to be in S3&K format to be able to do that. So, convert the S2 and S1 objects into S3&K format, and then remove the S1 and S2 engines, remove the S2 objects from the S&K rom, convert the S1 levels to use 128s instead of 256s, put them all together and change the S3&K engine to let you play levels in S1 and S2 in the right order, and then you're done. By that time, you should have a ROM of under 4MB.

That is a lot of work, I know, and I don't think it is worth doing. But it would certainly have interesting results.

10. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Not exactly.The real S&K cart have a external 256k chip that contains that s2k code,and is only called when you use sonic 2 with S&K.In roms,S&K or S3K don't contain that 256k chip,only the (working) S2k rom at the end (because the chip was dumped too to make it work).

11. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    It would be near impossible for one of the greatest tech members here.

First off, this would require more than hex, since there is a LOT of porting involved. You would have to modify most graphic and music engines to be compatible with s3k. If you somehow manage to do that, there would be the porting (which can be a pain in the arse). Between all that you would run into a number of errors, since 68K (which would be needed) is quite a lot to take in and remember. You would have to miss some stuff out, because the 68K can only handle up to 8 mb of data at a time in the registers. You would have to change the instructions between games, you would have to create instructions to change the fact that (for example) Sonic 1 has ended and you would need to make an instruction for it to go to the begining of Sonic 2.

Out of all this, I have only scratched the surface. And I'm still learning, so if I have made a mistake in here (which I probably have) then please correct me.

EDIT:
    Yes, but if you're only using Hex then you are limated to combining S&K with any other Gennesis Sonic game. If you were to combine Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, you would need the knowlage of 68k.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

12. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    I'm confused, so correct me if I'm wrong, Taruko. Do you intend to simply 'glue' S1 through to S&K together into one big ROM, so that when you complete (for example) Sonic 1, it moves directly on to Sonic 2, save from a slideshow sequence? Or is this something completely different?

Also,
    I don't understand.

Probably not relevant, but with the idea for slideshows between levels/games, I thought that couldn't happen in S2 without starting the whole ending sequence. Although I'm not sure about that.

13. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Like everyone here, I think it would be possible, but a hell of a lot of work.

You could:

Add Sonic 2 onto the end of S3&K, changing pointers to the obviously now different offsets, as well as make modifications to the game engine. Then you could edit the S3k level playlist to begin with Emerald Hill, the Chemical Plant ect.

Once the player reaches the end of Death Egg, you could have the ending play (don't let Sonic jump off the plane though), but change the pointer telling it to play the credits to point to Angel Island.

I'm sure we could sacrifice Sonic 2's music and replace it with Sonic 3's.

However I'm not sure how you would get Sonic 1 on the front of that.

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    No. ROMs cannot be bigger than 4MB.

15. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Uhm.... not quite....

What I was trying to do is to take sonic 1 attach sonic 2 infront of that and attach S3&K to that. Then comes the crapload of editing...

I would have to replace sonic 1's credits and ending with an instruction telling it to do it's little slide show biz -introducing tails, yada yada- then start sonic 2's Emerald hill. Then replace Sonic 2's ending with a command to start Angel Island...
    But with a crap lourde or editing....

Ya see, the game is trying to tell you the story from the beginning of Sonic's history
    up to the end of Sonic 3&K because that's the most it can handle....

16. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Possible, but I doubt many people could do that, exept Sega, ofcourse.

That instruction would be one in 68K, not hex. The slideshow would be hand made, so that would take a while to make the pallet, art, choose which compression, import it, etc.
    Again, the command would be a 68K instruction. What is this "crap lourde of editing" you speak of?
    This would be an impressive hack, but most people know the story anyway.
    Yes. Since SA2B would look shit on a Gennesis.

17. Taruko

Taruko

Pending Member
    Well, the editing is for music, graphics, etc...
    I wanted the Game to be called "Sonic Legends" with a spiffy new title screen, I could make one in Photoshop.
    Also since I'm gonna be replacing the Sonic 1 Title screen because it's the beginning, I would want to put a sound for the (Sonic Team Presents) screen.
    I had an Idea for using the sonic team jingle used in chu chu rocket, ya know
    "Sonikku Teamu". I know where I could get my hands on that, then I would need an Mp3/Wav converter, easy....
    I also wanted to use the songs From Sonic CD JPN because.... because....uhhh... yeah...... So I would need to know how to impliment those.

After the rest of the stuff is done, it might be fun to use a technique system. Like the sonic Shield Special and the super "peel-out" as they call it. since they already exsist, I'd need some conversion thing.

But this, "68K" you speek of, refresh my memory as to what it is...
    I'm guessing it's the command line that activates stuff..

It'll be hard, but I'll try my best!

18. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    A Jonathan Whiteford productions presents:
    Not Another Long Post!

Ok, so seriously.

Read my last two posts in this topic. I would be repeating myself if I said what I should.

It would have to be at a maximum of 16 colours, and it would have to be compressed with the same compression algorithm as the art in Sonic whicheverthfuckyou'reusing.

Good idea. Only the "SEGA!" sound replacement would have to be in .wav format, 4 seconds long and at (I have totaly forgot) rate.

Have you noticed that the music in the game doesn't sound like instruments? That's because the Z80 can't handle it. The music you put in it has to be in .MIDI format, and can be imported via SonicQX (by Saxman).

It would require you to remake the sprites for Sonic whicheverthefuckyouplanonusingforthis. You may need to use 68k ASM (I'll explain that in a second.) to make the behaviours of these objects too.

The Motorola 68000 is the CPU of the Gennesis / MegaDrive. It's the root of all evil code. I'm hoping you would now understand why this would be extremely difficult for you to do all this now that you know what the 68K is. (ASM is the Assembaly code of the 68k.)

Again, correct me if I am wrong.

19. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    MP3 <-> WAV convertor. Easiest thing you mentioned. ;)

Putting the songs from SCD Jap. into a Genesis game wouldn't work, because, with the exception of the Past songs, all of the SCD songs are digital audio. The only way you could put them into the game would be to try and replicate the songs in a similar way that a MIDI sequencer would, and even then, you wouldn't get a close match, because there's stuff in those songs that you can't do with the Genesis' sound chip.

A "conversion thing" (I think you mean a porter) for those two items does not exist, at present. You might be able to port them to another game, but that would be really complicated and probably very difficult.

The Motorola 68000 (68K = 68000; get it?) is the Genesis' processor, and it's also the assembly language used by said processor.

Ah, crap. Looks like Soil beat me to it.

20. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Yey :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.