don't click here

Time to get new protos, maybe? Yes!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Some of you are hinting that I could sell the cart for my personal gain - that's untrue. You're free to not believe me (after all, I'm just an internet entity), but I consider this to be ignoble. So yea, if I ever sell it, it goes to more protos, of course. But it'd be at least foolish to sell it, for many reasons.

Other stuff:

I only recall asking for donations on here, and on Sonic CulT forums (and that happens to be true, too). And I frequent from 10 (more frequently) to an indefinite number of forums that I visit, well, less often.

Another thing is that I was not asking for donations from the forum, I was asking for donations from people on the forum, all of which are different, have different personalities, have different reasons on being on this particular forum, and not necessarily feel they are 'S2Bers', at least not more than even me.

Another thing is that I wasn't frantic at all. Maybe I was a little enthusiastic a couple of times, but frantic?

Us, them, community, etc. I didn't use you in particular, so I don't know where that comes from.

It's not a dream, it's a hobby. I have better dreams than that =P

I didn't see a single donator being disappointed or not content in what he got in return for his money. And no, it wasn't "good enough", it was "FAR more than was expected".

Insured airmail (EMS) to Poland is $20.

I am the best person in the world, but not because of what I've done, and I don't remember saying so.

Nope. Not denying it at all.

not unless someone cares a lot about what Sonic fans think about him.

Theoritically I could, but it would halt getting new prototypes for a very long time.

I have rethought the proto getting scheme, mind you. And this topic is the last one in a good while. And next time I'll put a lot of red disclaimers on top so I won't have to write up big posts after few months explaining that I'm not a giraffe.

You are not a representative for the donators, not even a part of them.

So much aka selling the cart for cheap bucks?

hunting protos != getting you protos != releasing protos for free

yes I can just start hoarding shit for myself and become a fatty (at least for a while). I've considered this option, and it seems very cool, but not quite.

Contrary to what it may seem, I do have enough brainpower to reply to questions asked towards me.

Maybe I wouldn't mind it so much too, if you were right. I'm not getting any mario protos (btw I found some more, including a Yoshi Island proto), because I don't have enough money now.

Seriously, I'm 'friends' with many collectors, I have their protos lists, so I have access to about 600-800 (it's hard to count really) prototypes I could possibly buy/dump/whatever, but it costs money. I'd LOVE to get them all, and have a dumping frenzy. One day when I'm rich - yes, just not yet.

And answering Nikki's question - from Sonic, I'm directly collecting money for Sonic Labirynth (GG), Tails Adventures (GG) and Sonic 3D Blast (MD). Found some trace of a Sonic 2 beta (which is *hard* to get, but at least I know its whereabouts), and some trace of another Sonic 2 beta (which *could* be easier to get ahold of). I know some facts about that latter beta (like, how different it is), but finding it would be a bit hard. I wouldn't count on seeing them any time soon.

I've got some more plans, but I shall fall silent =P

2. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    earthworm jim or TJ&E plz. :P

3. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    oh and since someone asked - that T&JE2 proto is allegedly 'different'.

4. HyperSonic

HyperSonic

drx, I just want to say that I appreciate what you do. You get in contact with shady collector types from all over the globe, and you buy cool stuff like Sonic the Hedgehog betas. I would've never known that there was a beta of Yoshi's Island or Super Mario Brothers 2 out there, but you, you're the coolest teenager that ever was! :D I'm serious, I wish I was as damn cool as you when I was 17. :P People like you and Redeye are my proto-collecting idols, and I would be distraught if you were ever to give up what you're doing. :)

5. Shade

Shade

Oh man. Yoshi's Island, Sonic3D, and TJ&E2 all sound extremely tantalizing.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'd like to thank drx once again for all his hard work, dedication, and contributions towards the scene; regardless if he does it more for himself or for the scene.

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I should jump in and say something important so here it is:

if they made tug boats bigger, they could be the boats that other boats tug.

now about the protos:

I kinda am in the same position as DRX for a few things. I own SatAM Blast to the Past scrips and the SatAM bible because everyone at FUS chipped in for that stuff... but I got it and uploaded it... I would never sell it for my own personal gain then but I don't plan to. But I'd be pissed if DRX DID sell the protos for his own gain, but since he said he wouldn't, I believe him.

As for what protos to get next, I still am waiting for my Sonic 1 one to be found ;_;

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't know where drx selling protos for his own profit came from -- I said nothing of the sort. All I suggested selling protos for was to strengthen the proto budget as a whole.

And drx - I don't consider $1000 cheap money for reselling the S2 proto - that way, you'd be able to get this new batch with S3D and etc, since you were offering 1k for it.

8. Danske

Danske

Pending Member
    New york, New york!!
    Not particularly. I just draw, alot.
    edit: never mind! I'm not touching this one... but I would like to know how the Toejam and Earl is different, if anyone actually knows...

9. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Sonic: The Lost Worlds
    drx, even though we can't count on those other sonic 2 prototypes, if you do manage to get either that are different, I'll donate. Maybe even more than for the last one.

And not like I want to keep this going but, just for the record, I only chipped in for the sonic 2 prototype to get the ROM. The data is worth much more to me than the cart and, since drx did the work to get it, I personally don't mind that he has it.

10. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    QFT, as another one of the contributors. I'll even say that I could care less what drx does with the S2 proto cart by this point, I've already got what I wanted from it (which was well worth my $300).

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Sonic Beta's should be in the hands of Sonic fans. If drx didn't get the last one it would have been in the hands of another collecter. Remember a hoarder tried to sneak in and buy it while drx was still trying to buy it. After that I don't think that guy deserves another chance to own it. He needs to do his own research and find his own stuff to buy and not leach off others discoveries.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

We've already lost Sonic Xtreme proto.

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Exactly. Hell, I'll even go against popular opinion, because I believe drx has every right to sell that cart for his personal gain (it'd be nice if he refunded the portions donated, but it's not like he didn't do all the work tracking the cart down and such), but knowing drx, the money'd probably go right back into buying prototypes anyway. :P

14. Sonic-The-Hedgehog

Sonic-The-Hedgehog

Queensland, Australia
    The Level Layout for Sonic 1: Super Deformed
    Who knows, in due time, we may get that prototype, Let's just hope for the best and see what happens. :rolleyes:

15. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher

Except it was shit and not worth the money. I almost got another one for free, but loss of contact is inevitable sometimes.

16. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Not shittier than Sonic Rush proto we've just got.

And, yeah, I remember screenshots of a 3D Sonic game for Saturn you've showed. I guess it was just an engine test. So, you've lost a contact with that person? What a pity.

17. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    People are acting as though the relevant point is whether drx did/n't have the right to keep the proto for his wishes according to the agreements set out. I don't see this as so.

The point is that drx is asking people to donate to a cause that he is not fully supporting himself, but does profit from. If he wanted to get the most "bang for the buck" as far as proto dumps go, he'd sell the proto carts to obtain funds for more, regardless of whether he was required to or not.

The bottom line is that people giving money to drx should not do so with the impression that that money will be used towards the ends they desire as far as possible; once the terms of the agreement are met, drx has no intention of using that capital towards the donator's ends, but rather towards his own. In short, dealings with him are of the business variety, and not friends helping each other out. How that reflects on him as a person... I suppose that's for you to decide.

18. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    What makes him using the profits for his own personal gain so retarded is this, in theory. Ask community for donating to get prototype, buy and dump prototype, resell and pocket the cash. Later turn around and ask for more donations. If it weren't for greed, there wouldn't be the need to ask for donations over and over again. At least not on such a large scale.
    Just seems as if Drx is using people under false pretenses to make money for himself. As much as I like seeing prototypes, I can't forsee promoting these types of actions.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Come on,

None of you guys can tell me with a streight face that you would sell the NA beta had it been in your hands.

Jesus Christ.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Considering I could shell some money out of it (which I'm very scarce on), and the fact that I can do much more with the ROM (even put it on a Tototek, essentially making the same thing, albeit less valuable from a collector's perspective), then yes, I absolutely would. I'm not a collector, and as long as I can dig into the game's unused goodies using a method that doesn't require the physical cart, then I see no reason NOT to get money out of it if I really need it (and can, really).

If the community helped me buy it, however, I would sell it for the community, and to get and buy more protos. I'd feel guilty as all hell taking people's hard earned money like that—I don't think I could do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.