don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Pengi

Pengi

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Reasonable. So Tails was born on Westside Island, moved over to Cocoa Island where he was caught up in the events of Tails' Adventures, and then moved back for Robotnik's assault during Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive).

Poor boy is cursed...

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    So what about this suggestion that the Time Eater has something to do with the Chaos Emeralds?

"They can be used to power deadly machines [Space Colony ARK] or even warp time and space [Time Eater]"
    [​IMG]

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Since the Chaos Emerald actively repels the Time Eater, I assume the intent was to show even something eldritch can't hold a flame to the Chaos Emeralds, but...

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic 06's plot - which despite erasing itself, is still canon - shows the Emeralds have time warping powers, and we know they have spacial ones because Chaos Control is a thing. But because Sonic 06 sucks balls and a shot of Shadow holding an emerald is maybe somewhat confusing the point, they show the entity known for nothing else but fucking with time as a visual aid. Simples.

Also I guess Sonic X is now no longer considered canon which is a shame considering it did tie together the scenario of two very different worlds being in the same timeline. I personally am happy to shove SA1, 2 and Battle (and I guess Shadow as well) onto a different planet that X takes place in, and everything else runs on the main planet. Robotnik started out on the side-planet, and somehow ended up on the main one before X happened, and nothing about this theory writes out humans existing on the main planet either. Works for me, I'm sticking with that.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don’t think Sonic X was ever truly canon to the games though, was it? Even disregarding stuff like Chris fulfilling Maria’s/Amy’s role in the SA2 arc, several characters were introduced earlier than in the games’ relative timeline.

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wasn't the humans = mainland, anthros = islands thing the lore the games traditionally went by anyway? Prior to Forces, they were consistent in that games that took place in cities and their surroundings like Adventure, 06, Unleashed etc. were filled with humans, while those set in islands had nary a human in sight aside from Eggman. The established birthplaces were consistent too, like Sonic = Christmas Island or Tails = Westside Island.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    There's a post somewhere explaining that there was a series bible: things like Mobius being the Mars of Sonic's world, Sonic X being treated as the canonical version of the Adventure arc, and so on...

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wasn't the Mobius thing only true for Spinball, which is of detabable canonicity at best due to it being based on the western cartoons?

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    No, it's in the Japanese manual as well:
    It was apparently relegated to Sonic's World's Mars. Guess that mean's Earth's Mars is Mobius now?

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Let me quote myself.
    The Sonic Boom games came out in Japan and had Japanese localizations as well. Does that make them part of the main canon?

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I'm all for Mobius not being Sonic's planet.
    It is a cartoon thing that was obviously not much related to the events of the games, and we even have a game telling that Eggman traveled to planet Mobius and Sonic went after him.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry, misread.

Apparently, Sonic Spinball was considered canon, but Chaotix was not. I may have to dig out the source at some point...

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wait a second.
    Huh.

If Sonic Spinball is indeed canon and it had Sonic traveling to Mobius, depicted as an alien planet, then that might explain that weird "Sonic was in space for a year" bit. Did he hang around in Mobius for a year after defeating Eggman there, and upon returning home found that Eggman invaded Little Planet?

Still, I'm adamant to take Spinball as canon when it had like a shitload of Chaos Emeralds with no explanation.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It's most probably non-canon because of the SaTAM characters in the pinball game thing.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think this concern is over, right? Tails confirmed West Side Island exists.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They also used an image of South Island from the Game Gear/Master System title.

Game Gear/Master System games confirmed canon?

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

GG's Sonic 1 is canon. Because it's almost the same game as the Genesis'.