don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    23:12
    - So in the Forces Prequel comic about Knuckles and Silver, Knuckles waves off the sudden appearance of Chaos from the Master Emerald as if it wasn't some big deal. Does this mean Chaos and maybe Tikal can just pop out of the Master Emerald whenever they like? Do they keep Knuckles company? (...)

- I'm working under the idea that Tikal and Chaos are at rest in the Master Emerald but that they can appear if necessary. Because Chaos does show up in the story of Sonic Battle, and Battle has to be canon because Gmerl is built off of Emerl, so... It makes enough sense to me. We ran into a bit of a speed bump with Neo Metal Sonic's arc about that, but it's not crucial. (...)

- (...) That would be a good way to make it so that Knuckles could actually leave the freaking island if Tikal and Chaos could maybe take over guardian duties for a little bit while Knuckles takes care of other things. It's like they literally got it built in right there. Literally a built-in thing they could just do.

- I have pitched this. We'll see if it sticks one day.

2. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I haven't finished playing through Sonic Battle yet, but a question I have is if Chaos is in the Master Emerald, why didn't he appear when Knuckles broke it in SA2?

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm stealing this, this is now headcanon: Tikal is active and guards the Master Emerald while Knuckles is away, Chaos hangs about for backup. Knuckles still secures it in one of various Hidden Palaces to make sure nothing happens.

He doesn't come from the Master Emerald in that game, he appears at the summit, so I think he's an active entity.

I know the prequel comics, but I don't count them as canon due to their plotholes.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

To be honest I never liked the theory that Tikal and Chaos still reside in the Master Emerald. It's one of those fan theories that picked up steam in the early 2000s before SA2 came out that never went away. (People thought Tikal and Chaos were going to appear in the game because the Master Emerald was broken again)

To me it kind of defeats the purpose of SA's ending since I saw Tikal and Chaos finally "being at peace" after what happened in the past and having to be sealed in the emerald.

So for them to go back to it doesn't click with what the story was going for.

He mentions Chaos appearing in Battle, but even in that one his appearance is not tied to the emerald. He's just there, which makes sense since he was alive unlike Tikal.

Prefer him just hanging out somewhere in the world in peace then bringing him back too.

(Avoids the headache of having to explain why he hasn't shown up every time the emerald or the world is threatened too)

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    To my knowledge, Tikal and Chaos continuing to reside in the Master Emerald was only ever an auxiliary media thing. At the end of Adventure, the two just ascended into the sky as the screen flashed white, so we have zero idea where they are. And yeah, in Battle, Chaos is stated to only appear in exceptional time of need, but when Super Sonic can punt most every danger into the middle of next week if required, Chaos is kind of redundant in that regard.

I like to imagine Tikal and Chaos departed to travel the world to soothe Chaos' soul for a bit. :)

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Might be why he appears in Sonic Battle: Sonic can't access the Chaos Emeralds due to Emerl.

Chaos is literally a redundancy: in event Super Sonic can not be accessed, Chaos ensues.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yeah I don't know if Chaos should be inside the Master Emerald by now, or at least since SA2. But he's around, somewhere. Tikal should be fucking dead though.

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I always kinda figured the stuff in the story involving Chaos Gamma and his chaos emerald (it’s an 8th one right?) as well as Chaos were just kind of there to let you unlock the characters and could be hand-waved away. I love Chaos though so I’m always up for more appearances. I also never really got the impression that he was still in the Master Emerald but rather he just reappeared from whatever afterlife he went to.

as for Ian “knowing things,” I’m leaning towards it being something Sega either told him as notes when he pitched a story arc involving that stuff or it being part of some bible he was given when working on the game’s story. After all, Pontac/Graff (forget which one was being asked the question) mentioned they were given a series bible (not sure if it was THE series bible people talk about or just a character one) and didn’t really use it.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

If there's no access to Super Sonic than what can Chaos do that regular Sonic can't? It's not like Chaos is more powerful than Sonic.

Like I said, if that's the answer where was Chaos during Unleashed when the emeralds went dormant, or during Forces to help fight against his virtual doppelganger?

This is why I say it's better to leave him alone.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I have the suspicion that Chaos showing up in Sonic Battle was related to the fact Emerl was involved. He was probably aware of the ancient, world-destroying Gizoid. So when he sensed that this one absorbed all 7 Emeralds he decided to show up, knowing full well the dangers such a situation posses to the world. He then saw that Emerl was under control so he took no action, but still hung around to keep him in check.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I guess? We don't know how old Chaos is, but we do know the events of the Knuckles Clan happened 3000 years before current time, and Emerl was created 4000 years which makes him older.

If we're willing to stretch the story that he knows about Emerl because he's older/ageless/immortal/has a connection to the emeralds that tells him things, is it perhaps weird he doesn't know about Light and Dark Gaia? And didn't spring into action when Light Gaia didn't take action?

We can, but this is what I mean when we have to take a logical leap to say why he shows up for somethings but not for others.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Could also be that Chaos was in action elsewhere, we just don't see it.

13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Maybe he just didn’t feel like it before Battle.

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Maybe he helped in Unleashed by possessing Sonic during nighttime levels, Chaos didn't move or fight in a really different way than Werehog does, plus he's liquid and could help stretching Sonic arms like they were water. Or maybe he found Labyrinth zone and got lost and confused in a maze of the same element its body was made of, and that's why it hasn't appeared again. I have a better answer, though: he passed away in SA1 and all of its appearances after that game are just a cameo.

15. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Maybe every time Chaos passes away the Master Emerald mutates another Chao

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The two-worlds concept is officially dead!

The animals live in islands, the humans live in big cities.

(Cocoa Island is offically non-canon?)

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

But I don't see how Cocoa Island is non-canon. Tails wasn't from there originally, either:
    He moved there. Guess this means Tails was a Westside Island native, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yeah I misremembered the plot.

19. Pengi

Pengi

Tails said that humans live in "the bigger countries", he didn't say anything about cities. The small islands the animal people usually live on can still have cities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I never cared much for the lore, but this...this does put a smile on my face.